PDA

View Full Version : How to get extra stubborn 2 year old to take medicine

SummerBaby
11-23-2009, 05:13 PM
I know this topic has been discussed in the past, but the advice I usually give has not been successful for DD2. She has bronchitis and today was prescribed Zithromax, which is a 5 day antibiotic. Well, I've used 4 doses since noon and she has spit out 3 of them, and refused the drink the other one that I tried to hide in juice.

With DD1, all I had to do was blow in her face and she swallowed it. With DD2, I stick the syringe in her mouth, all the way back to the side and then blow, blow, blow. She appears to swallow- although it's hard to tell with the screaming-and I stop blowing when I'm out of air. As soon as I stop blowing, she turns her head and spits everything out. None of the following have worked- blowing in her face, bribing her with M&Ms (works for the potty, not with this), and putting it in juice.

I am really, really desperate here. I'm already going to have to pay for another prescription because I wasted most of it already. Any ideas? She is VERY STUBBORN and SMART! Thanks.

Val
DD1 7/04
DD2 7/07

mominmarch
11-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Our ped told us to mix it with hershey's strawberry syrup, which is near the chocolate sauce in the icecream aisle at our store. That's how we got it in her, and then followup with m&m's, last march when our little one just turned 2.

Tondi G
11-23-2009, 07:50 PM
You can't mix zithromax with juice... it tastes AWFUL... ask me how I figured this one out!

I used to have to battle with my kiddo too. It ended up being a 2 person job. Lay child on the floor with their head in your lap essentially leg on either side of their head to prevent them from turning to the side and spitting out. have daddy hold her arms so she can't swat away the syringe.

Do not use the big fat dropper thing that the pharmacy give you... you need a true eye dropper or syringe. I stuck my finger in DS's cheek to make a pocket and squirted the tiniest amount bit by bit. It takes time and they will struggle. You will win in the end. Thank god you got Zithromax and not something that is twice a day for 10 days!

I also told my kiddo that if they didn't cooperate they would have to go back to the doctors office and get a shot to make their sickies clear up. He didn't like hearing that idea!

Hope you can manage it. Have juice ready to wash it down and having hershey's kisses or M&M's or a lollypop close by might encourage your kiddo to take the meds. No meds, no candy! Good Luck

KathyN115
11-23-2009, 09:11 PM
I take my finger, put it in her mouth between her teeth and cheeks, and use it to hold out one of DD's cheeks. I then squirt the medicine as far back as possible. I leave my finger in there until she swallows. It is really hard to spit with a finger holding out your cheek!

neeleymartin
11-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Have juice ready to wash it down and having hershey's kisses or M&M's or a lollypop close by might encourage your kiddo to take the meds. No meds, no candy! Good Luck

we use a chocolate chip to follow up. never failed.

JBaxter
11-23-2009, 09:38 PM
I take my finger, put it in her mouth between her teeth and cheeks, and use it to hold out one of DD's cheeks. I then squirt the medicine as far back as possible. I leave my finger in there until she swallows. It is really hard to spit with a finger holding out your cheek!

This works. Esp if you are sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor with the child in a leg lock. Medication must be taken.

I tried all the mixing with stuff with my first but when it gets down to it some kids are just bullheaded and wont take it no matter what. Now they take medicine the easy way or mommy's way.

srhs
11-24-2009, 02:09 AM
We just had success hiding/mixing DS1's meds in with the peach Motts applesauce. DH was not a fan of being spit on, so I had to find something. GL!

fauve01
11-24-2009, 02:49 AM
we mixed it with ice cream.

ohiomom1121
11-24-2009, 10:09 AM
DD was the same way...horrible about taking anything. I bought some sugar cubes and gave her one afterwards and she loved it. Now she'll take anything I give her with no protest because she loves those silly sugar cubes. Also, at 2 you might try giving it to her in a cup. Both of my kids like to do it themselves rather than have it forced.