PDA

View Full Version : Crib recalls again???

deborah_r
11-23-2009, 05:30 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/23/news/companies/crib_recall/index.htm

Seems like they happen every few months. Do the anti-co-sleeping campaign people just ignore this?

Quote from story: "More than 5 million cribs, bassinets and play yards have been recalled since the beginning of 2007, according to CPSC." Wow.

jenfromnj
11-23-2009, 05:32 PM
I can't believe it doesn't say which crib(s) are being recalled!

deborah_r
11-23-2009, 05:41 PM

Yes, apparently we have to tune in tomorow for that! My crib is long gone, but thought others here might be interested. My boys were anti-crib. :)

randomkid
11-23-2009, 08:14 PM

Isn't this the info on the recalled cribs?
"The Consumer Product Safety Commission said parents should immediately stop using Stork Craft drop-side cribs, which are made by Stork Craft Manufacturing Inc., of British Columbia, Canada." and "The recall includes about 147,000 Stork Craft drop-side cribs with the Fisher-Price logo, the CPSC said"

To me, that sounds like ALL drop side cribs made by Stork Craft.

deborah_r
11-23-2009, 08:43 PM
They updated that story since I posted the link originally. That info about Stork Craft was not there before.

writermama
11-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Yes, apparently we have to tune in tomorow for that! My crib is long gone, but thought others here might be interested. My boys were anti-crib. :)

They've upped the number to 2.1 Million cribs as of now.

randomkid
11-23-2009, 08:59 PM
They updated that story since I posted the link originally. That info about Stork Craft was not there before.

OK, I see. I was really confused by the response saying they didn't say which cribs.

MamaMolly
11-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Ugh. I'm having flashbacks to the Jardine/BRU nightmare. We replaced DD's drop side with a solid side crib during THAT one because it was what they had in stock that we could afford. This is going to make crib shopping a *lot* harder now, just due to a lack of stock!

elephantmeg
11-23-2009, 09:10 PM
I just replaced my kids' cribs (DS is no longer in one but I had 2) because aspen had the same issue. I decided at that point not to get a drop side crib since they seemed to be the kind that kept getting recalled! I got this one

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11154496

but in espresso. It was what they had in stock (and it was like 149 at the time!).

soontobe
11-23-2009, 09:13 PM
just to be sure that I understood the article and I don't have nightmares tonight-this recall is only for Storkcraft right? I have a Sorelle crib which is not included-right?!??!

writermama
11-23-2009, 10:58 PM
just to be sure that I understood the article and I don't have nightmares tonight-this recall is only for Storkcraft right? I have a Sorelle crib which is not included-right?!??!

Sorelle is not currently being recalled. It is still always a good idea to examine your crib to make sure the drop side, and everything else, is firmly attached the way it is supposed to be -- you may find it reassuring.

bubbaray
11-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Not sure what is happening in the US, but Canada is outright banning the sale of drop-sided cribs, from ALL manufacturers. http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Canada+eliminate+sale+drop+side+cribs/2257409/story.html

I assume this will also apply to the sale of used cribs, just like with walkers (which are illegal to sell here, new or used -- they will fine people who sell them at garage sales, for example -- though that is pretty rare).

I'm kinda pissed b/c I currently have our crib for sale on CL. Sigh.

DrSally
11-23-2009, 11:44 PM
I saw this tonight. It's crazy. I couldn't believe after DS sleeping in his Delta crib for 3 years that then it was recalled! In the future, if I ever have another child, I would not get a drop side crib.

ETA: The news story I watched said that they won't be certifying any drip side cribs anymore.

gatorsmom
11-23-2009, 11:52 PM
I saw this tonight. It's crazy. I couldn't believe after DS sleeping in his Delta crib for 3 years that then it was recalled! In the future, if I ever have another child, I would not get a drop side crib.

I really didn't do much research on cribs with my first child :bag . What are the other options? Frankly, I couldn't imagine having a crib where I could't drop down one side or have easier access to the mattress. I'm short and without one side down, it's really uncomfortable for me. For a while, we had a babysitter who was a little person and without a drop side she couldn't have gotten Gator out of the crib at all.

DrSally
11-24-2009, 12:00 AM
I really didn't do much research on cribs with my first child :bag . What are the other options? Frankly, I couldn't imagine having a crib where I could't drop down one side or have easier access to the mattress. I'm short and without one side down, it's really uncomfortable for me. For a while, we had a babysitter who was a little person and without a drop side she couldn't have gotten Gator out of the crib at all.

My sister has a stationary side crib and the front side is lower than the back side. I think the mattress goes lower too, but maybe the difference isn't as much as when the mattress is all the way on the bottom level of a drop side crib, KWIM? DD has a drop side crib, but we never use that feature b/c it's so loud and a pain to do (knee release). I'm short too, and when I get her out, she's usually standing up or on her way to standing up.

Katigre
11-24-2009, 12:34 AM
IKEA cribs are lower which helps if you're short (they are not drop side).

I'm not understanding how a child was strangled due to a dropped side though - how did it happen? What was defective?

DrSally
11-24-2009, 12:37 AM
IKEA cribs are lower which helps if you're short (they are not drop side).

I'm not understanding how a child was strangled due to a dropped side though - how did it happen? What was defective?

I think what happens is that the drop side becomes partially detached or something to that effect, and the child gets trapped in between the mattress and the side railing.

rachelh
11-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Not sure what is happening in the US, but Canada is outright banning the sale of drop-sided cribs, from ALL manufacturers.

The local news in my areas did report that one or two NY counties have already passed legislation to ban all drop side cribs and are pushing for this to go national.

Rachel

khm
11-24-2009, 12:52 AM
This (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34116399/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/) article has a picture with a doll. I've seen a similar picture, but the doll was face downward. Very jarring, even though it was a doll.

DrSally
11-24-2009, 01:21 AM
This (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34116399/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/) article has a picture with a doll. I've seen a similar picture, but the doll was face downward. Very jarring, even though it was a doll.

Even though that was a doll, that picture was horrifying.

sunshine873
11-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Ugh. We have a Delta crib. This makes me sad, because I love it! I could care less about the drop side. I'd just screw the thing together if I could. So...do I have to get a new crib, or is the "repair kit" actually going to do the trick?

Does anyone know how I can even go about getting a repair kit? I can't seem to get a website to come up at all to even find a way to contact the company. Ugh.

In the meantime, DD is napping in her pack n play.

DrSally
11-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Ugh. We have a Delta crib. This makes me sad, because I love it! I could care less about the drop side. I'd just screw the thing together if I could. So...do I have to get a new crib, or is the "repair kit" actually going to do the trick?

Does anyone know how I can even go about getting a repair kit? I can't seem to get a website to come up at all to even find a way to contact the company. Ugh.

In the meantime, DD is napping in her pack n play.

The Delta recall was awhile ago. I would check the CSPC website to see if your particular crib was recalled. I ordered the repair kit from Delta--it was just some metal brackets to reinforce the drop side slides. The CSPC website should have the number to call.

sunshine873
11-24-2009, 12:02 PM
The Delta recall was awhile ago. I would check the CSPC website to see if your particular crib was recalled. I ordered the repair kit from Delta--it was just some metal brackets to reinforce the drop side slides. The CSPC website should have the number to call.

Yes, that recall was in September and mine was not one of the recalled cribs at that time. I thought I saw somewhere in this new recall that Delta was one of the manufacturers that was included in the recall - but now I can't find that again. Looks like it is only Storkcraft. Ugh, I'm getting overwhelmed. So maybe our Delta Verona is OK. I'm a little creeped out at having a drop-side crib now.

crl
11-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Ugh. Now I'm worried about our Pali (purchased in 2003/04). As far as I can tell, it's never been recalled, but it is a drop-side. And DH says that he remembers needing to tighten it a few times when DS was using it--after he got bigger and started jumping, etc in it, to keep the drop side on track. We were planning to reuse it for the next baby, but now we're thinking maybe we shouldn't. . . .

Catherine

NewfieNat
11-24-2009, 01:25 PM
We had a Storkcraft crib. About 18 months ago the drop side just fell off out of nowhere. The screw was stripped. I called Stockraft and they totally blew off my concern. Now, I see that's one of the problems with their cribs. UGH. SO GLAD it's recalled. If I had to do it again (not planning on it) I'd get an Ikea crib.

BTW, I think the ban on drop-side is going to be worldwide.

http://www.nationalpost.com/related/links/story.html?id=2258232

crl
11-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Is there someway to make current drop side cribs safe? I'm hoping Pali will come out with some sort of fix. . . . Otherwise I think we'll be getting a new IKEA crib and keeping the Pali to use as a toddler bed (it converts).

Catherine

Piglet
11-24-2009, 01:30 PM
According to this article, it is more of a vulntary recall than an actual recall in Canada - 1 reported incident out of 500,000 cribs and no injuries...

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Health+Canada+announces+massive+crib+recall/1173245/story.html

"Health Canada has received one complaint about the metal mattress support bracket failing. No injury resulted from the incident, the department said, emphasizing the products meet current safety standards and the voluntary recall is a "precautionary measure.""

We have this crib at my parents' house and have used it for 3 kids over the years. I requested a fix kit, but I am not too worried at this point.

bnme
11-24-2009, 01:32 PM
My county (Suffolk county in NY) is banning the sale of drop down cribs. Article says they may be the first in the US to do so.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,576528,00.html?test=latestnews

soontobe
11-24-2009, 01:43 PM
How do I make sure that my Sorelle drop side is still good? This has me really freaked out-I shouldn't have looked at that picture;). if drop sides get banned do I need to get a new crib? m

man why did I chose a drop side? we are both tall we didn't ever really put it down...

carolinamama
11-24-2009, 02:25 PM

We just happened to get a stationary one because it was what I liked for DS1. It really isn't that hard to bend over and get the baby out as the mattress can be adjusted. Even now when DS2 is sleeping and I have to get him up it isn't hard for me to bend over and pick him up. The front side is slightly lower than the back side. And I am not tall - 5'3" on a tall day. I really got this crib before knowing about all these problems, but I am certainly glad now as it still feels solid as a rock. Just wanted to comment in case anyone is crib shopping now and is concerned.

rosamaria
11-24-2009, 02:36 PM
I'll be buying a baby crib for my first child (expected in February) in the next month or so. I've been leaning towards the IKEA cribs: Gulliver or the Hensvik. Have anyone had experience with these cribs. I've read the information in the Baby Bargains book, but I'd like to hear about your experience and why you think these are good/superior cribs to the fancier ones out there besides their simplicity and price.

AnnieW625
11-24-2009, 02:42 PM
It makes me soo thankful that we have an old crib from 1950 that was my dad's, and used by my uncle (1955), a family friend, me, my brother, sister, and now my children. It's solid, less than 1/10 of an inch from today's standards for the slats (my mom measured it before DD was born to make sure it was safe), been restained w/lead free stain, and in almost 60 years there has never been a problem with the drop side, which I would've been lost without!

I think it's wrong to ban drop side cribs esp. when it seems like only the cheaper made models like Stork Craft are the ones that are having the problems. Young America makes cribs that have drop sides and that's a solid piece of furniture. Sure it's $700 but it has a solid resale value if you aren't having more children.

arivecchi
11-24-2009, 02:43 PM
MIL has a Delta one with a drop side that was not included in the Delta recall. My 10 month old sleeps there when we stay over. We never use the drop side feature. Would you replace it? This second recall has me spooked.

arivecchi
11-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Just saw this.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a4OPRP2K9E.0&pos=7

crl
11-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks. Much as I hate the thought of replacing our crib, I'm really grateful to those who have posted links and information here!

Catherine

maestramommy
11-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Does anyone know what other brands were covered by Stork-craft? It says FP was one of them, but not others. We have an older drop side crib that's a Simmons. Not even made anymore. We actually stopped using the drop side feature because everytime the side was down, it would fall off the rails. This is freaking me out, since we were just about to transfer Laurel from the PnP. Maybe we should just keep her there!

MMEand1
11-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Does anyone know what other brands were covered by Stork-craft? It says FP was one of them, but not others. We have an older drop side crib that's a Simmons. Not even made anymore. We actually stopped using the drop side feature because everytime the side was down, it would fall off the rails. This is freaking me out, since we were just about to transfer Laurel from the PnP. Maybe we should just keep her there!

Was wondering the same thing as our crib (not that it's been used in a number of years, but we still have it) is a Simmons. Pretty soon we are really going to need bubbles to keep our children in since everything else has/will be recalled...of course, then we will have to worry about what the bubble is made of! :)

smudgiebaby
11-24-2009, 04:44 PM
yes, I too have a sorelle crib also that has a drop side. From what I saw on the news, even though it is storkcraft that is being recalled, now they are saying ALL dropside cribs are not recommended. So what to do now? I bought mine a couple of years ago and used it with my son! Now, I'm using it for my daughter. Aggravation!

DrSally
11-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Ugh. Now I'm worried about our Pali (purchased in 2003/04). As far as I can tell, it's never been recalled, but it is a drop-side. And DH says that he remembers needing to tighten it a few times when DS was using it--after he got bigger and started jumping, etc in it, to keep the drop side on track. We were planning to reuse it for the next baby, but now we're thinking maybe we shouldn't. . . .

Catherine

I generally do this with any crib, periodicall check to see if screws need to be tightened.

DrSally
11-24-2009, 11:44 PM

I don't *believe* storkcraft is the same as Simmons. Double check and make sure the rail is installed right side up. Apparently some drop side cribs are very easily mistakenly installed upside down, which can lead to malfunctioning. If it were *me* I would be very hesitant to use a crib that the side kept falling off. I know you would hate to buy a new crib at this point with baby #3 though.

michellerw
11-25-2009, 07:48 AM
I think it's wrong to ban drop side cribs esp. when it seems like only the cheaper made models like Stork Craft are the ones that are having the problems. Young America makes cribs that have drop sides and that's a solid piece of furniture. Sure it's $700 but it has a solid resale value if you aren't having more children.

I am seriously wondering if it's the construction that's the problem, like those cheap (mostly brass) metal fittings or plastic fittings.

We currently have a five year old Child Craft drop side that my godmother paid about $700 for at the time for her grandchildren. They outgrew it in time for our (upcoming) baby to sleep in it. With the back problems I've been having, I honestly don't know how I could use a non dropside when the time comes. If we have to buy another crib, I'll buy the Leksvik from IKEA, but I'm seriously skeptical that the real problem is the dropside and not the cheap materials.

Neatfreak
11-25-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm seriously skeptical that the real problem is the dropside and not the cheap materials.

I'm of a similiar mind. I kind of wish that there was more detail about how the drop-sides were failing, specifically, what the hardware looked like, how the side attaches, so I can compare it to the crib that DD2 is using ...

egoldber
11-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Our crib was a dropside and the directions specifically said that the drop side screws would need to be tightened periodically.

wellyes
11-25-2009, 11:40 AM
When we were crib-shopping we were SHOCKED at the cheap build of some cribs, particularly the ones at BRU. Very wobbly with shoddy plastic screw housings on the interior rails.

We managed to get a really sturdy drop-side crib with hidden hardware for less than the price of some of the lousy BRU ones, but only by shopping online (Albee Baby - $200 for a Babi Italia). We would have had to pick a much much more expensive one at a store to register at, which is probably how at least half of people get thier cribs. What a racket.

So I don't think drop-side is inherently unsafe but I also can't help but applaud this recall and increased visibility on the potential problems.

arivecchi
11-25-2009, 11:48 AM
I guess I am in the minority, but I do think that the dropside mechanism in and of itself lends itself to accidents and is therefore dangerous. I am glad I purchased stationary cribs and am so annoyed at my MIL for buying a drop-side crib without my approval. I will be taking the PNP with us and using it whether she likes it or not.

crl
11-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I decided to contact Pali via email to ask if they were planning to do anything about previously sold drop side cribs in light of the apparent upcoming bans on drop side cribs. They responded really quickly and said that their cribs have not been recalled and are safe and they do not have a kit to convert drop side cribs to fixed.

Catherine

AnnieW625
11-25-2009, 12:18 PM
When we were crib-shopping we were SHOCKED at the cheap build of some cribs, particularly the ones at BRU. Very wobbly with shoddy plastic screw housings on the interior rails.

We managed to get a really sturdy drop-side crib with hidden hardware for less than the price of some of the lousy BRU ones, but only by shopping online (Albee Baby - $200 for a Babi Italia). We would have had to pick a much much more expensive one at a store to register at, which is probably how at least half of people get thier cribs. What a racket.

So I don't think drop-side is inherently unsafe but I also can't help but applaud this recall and increased visibility on the potential problems.

This was when I realized that I was really thankful to have the old crib; looking at the cribs at BRUS. I would've spent way more money on a crib than anything else had it been necessary (max limit would've been about a $1000). I don't see how people can spend $1000 on Bugaboos, and not get a quality crib.

arivecchi
11-25-2009, 02:52 PM
crib safety tips:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/babies-kids/resource-center/guide-to-childproofing-and-safety/crib-safety-tips/crib-safety-tips.htm

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5030.html

http://babyproducts.about.com/od/recallsandsafety/a/antiquecribs.htm