PDA

View Full Version : Google voice

DietCokeLover
11-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Can someone explain to me what this is?

mamalia
11-23-2009, 09:34 PM
It allows you to place phone calls free or for intl calls at a discount, from any phone (but you need to connect first by computer). You also get your own phone number which you can set up to ring to all your phones (house, cell, office) so only one number is called to reach you. Also does call transcripts...not very well though. It's nice for use at home since you're near a computer anyway. I think it's still in beta, or was until recently.

happymom
11-23-2009, 11:33 PM
DH is obsessed with Google Voice and has been trying to explain it to me for a while...for some reason I'm just not getting it, or maybe I'm just not as interested as he is! :wink2:

From what I understand, you are given a phone number which does not need an actual landline. You can set it up that all calls to that number will ring at any number of places- your work line, your cell phone, your house phone etc. (it could also not ring anywhere at all) So essentially, you will be reachable no matter where you are. DH plans to have his customers call his google voice number which will be directed (forwarded?) to his cell phone- so he will be reached on his cell, without having to give out the actual cell number. Also, all voicemails will be typed out and sent to your email adress. Pretty cool huh?

Theres def a lot more to it, but I cant seem to remember...I'm sure others will add.