PDA

View Full Version : Finally saw Star Trek on DVD

DrSally
11-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Since I don't have any childcare, I never get out to see any movies while they're in the theaters. Just saw Star Trek on DVD....Wow, awesome!! Such an engaging movie. I thought Quinto as Spock was just great. It's like he was the Spock we know, but with his own mojo too. He was the most interesting character for me, but I've never been a huge Kirk fan. Of course, it was so much fun to see "old" Spock too. Ohura (sp?) was so beautiful and she had great chemistry with Quinto. For anyone who hasn't seen it...Rent it now!

liz
11-23-2009, 11:43 PM
I really liked it too. I thought it was updated really well-I bought my husband the movie for xmas (for only 10$ at walmart, thanks to a tip from this forum!).

SnuggleBuggles
11-23-2009, 11:56 PM
I saw it in the theaters and really enjoyed it! It's on my holiday wish list. :)

Beth

wellyes
11-23-2009, 11:58 PM
As an old Trek fan I *will* say that I found the movie to be a bit short on the idealism that was so important in the old series. But it is definitely a great action movie.

DrSally
11-24-2009, 12:06 AM
I heard some of the DVD versions have great extras. The one I rented didn't have any deleted scenes.

DrSally
11-24-2009, 12:08 AM
As an old Trek fan I *will* say that I found the movie to be a bit short on the idealism that was so important in the old series. But it is definitely a great action movie.

Yeah, I would agree with that. I really love the humanistic tone of Star Trek, that I saw a lot of in Next Generation. I watched a lot of old Trek as a child, but a lot of that was above my head at that age. They set the stage perfectly for future movie (let's hope), so hopefully, there would be more of that in future movies.

s7714
11-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks, you just reminded me that my DH hasn't seen this yet. Yeah! Another Christmas present idea! :love-retry:

Penny's Pappa
11-24-2009, 02:45 AM

:yeahthat: I thought it was a good action movie, just not a good Star Trek movie. The shameless Nokia and Budweiser product placements kinda ruined a lot for me. They weren't just corny to begin with, they spoke of a sense of materialism that I don't think belongs in Star Trek. I understand they were going for a mainstream audience here, but that crossed the line for me.

crazydiamond
11-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Wonderful choices for most of the cast - great character actors! Loved the action and visuals.

but.......

Spoiler alerts - don't read below if you have not seen the film.

However, I am left disappointed with the complete change to the fundamental Star Trek story line and this films "alternate reality" time travel. I understand the they wanted a "Reboot" to allow them complete freedom to make future films without following the old story line - but really - the complete destruction of Vulcan? That race and place was so important to the Star Trek story. I also had trouble having Kirk go from new recruit to captain in one swift event.

Still I enjoyed it - and based on the strength of the actors would see another film with this group.

vonfirmath
11-24-2009, 10:18 AM
I also felt like Spock was the one character that DIDN'T go true to form to the "old Spock" Even in those circumstances, I just don't see him reacting that way as he did with Uhura.

It was a neat film, believable reboot. But I just didn't believe the character.

pakin
11-24-2009, 10:21 AM
We just saw it for the first time on Saturday. My very geeky husband liked it a lot. On Sunday he was so excited when he showed me that R2D2 had a very brief appearance in the movie!

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

liz
11-24-2009, 12:25 PM
We just saw it for the first time on Saturday. My very geeky husband liked it a lot. On Sunday he was so excited when he showed me that R2D2 had a very brief appearance in the movie!

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

Ooohhh, I'll have to tell MY geeky husband that - he'll love it!

Penny's Pappa
11-24-2009, 12:57 PM
(Snip) On Sunday he was so excited when he showed me that R2D2 had a very brief appearance in the movie!

What!?!?!?!??

Where?!??

Curse you George Lucas! You can mess up your own franchise all you want, but stay out of Star Trek!

lizzywednesday
11-24-2009, 12:58 PM
There were actually quite a few "blink and you'll miss them" fanboy moments through the whole flick, mostly in the form of throwaway one-liners.

There were some points where I was laughing too hard to notice them. The DVD will be good for catching up.

Zach Quinto did a good job with Spock ... it's hard to take an absolutely iconic character like that and not play it as a caricature or - worse - as if you're mocking a fanboy at a convention!

I think they really captured the "'Wagon Train' in space" aspect of Mr. Roddenberry's pitch to CBS in this film as well, which made sense for a reboot/backstory. We always knew Kirk was a rogue, but how roguish he was has always been left to the imagination ... this was a neat insight into one possible imagination.

codex57
11-24-2009, 02:05 PM
What!?!?!?!??

Where?!??

Curse you George Lucas! You can mess up your own franchise all you want, but stay out of Star Trek!

If you know the story or seen the actual scene with R2-D2, you wouldn't worry about it. It's not a "blink or you'll miss it" kind of thing. It's a "scan frame by frame on Blu-Ray on a 1080p tv or you'll never find it" kind of thing.

AnnieW625
11-24-2009, 02:59 PM

My thoughts exactly. The old original show was on re runs through part of my childhood at the same time the original movies were coming out. I loved the tv series and the original movies soo much as a child that at my 5th or 6th birthday I insisted we watch Star Trek: the Movie at my party. I never became a true Trekie (don't know conversational Klingon, and have never been to a convention). I was skeptical about Zachary Quinto playing Spock, and Spock will always be Leonard Nimoy for me, but at least it is was a good performance.

It seems odd that the franchise needs a whole new reboot and a movie full of CGI and stuff, but that's the only way these "Millenial" kids will ever understand Star Trek. This is purely Star Trek for the cool kids, and not the regular nerdy kids who are Trekkies. My 22 yr. old sister who I don't believe has seen the original movie loved the new movie and I think it bothers me a bit that this is Star Trek for her and a whole new generation when there is a wonderful history of movies and three seasons of a show. Oh well, maybe it just makes me feel really old.

DrSally
11-24-2009, 11:23 PM
If you know the story or seen the actual scene with R2-D2, you wouldn't worry about it. It's not a "blink or you'll miss it" kind of thing. It's a "scan frame by frame on Blu-Ray on a 1080p tv or you'll never find it" kind of thing.

Oh, that's why I didn't see it. I need to rent it again b/c I think I missed a lot of things. I agree with some pp's that it was more of an action movie than other Treks, but I think they did good character dvmt as well.