PDA

View Full Version : Any Jim Weiss fans?

marie
11-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Jim Weiss is coming to DD1's school for a 1 week residency in the spring and the PTO is selling his CD's right now as a fundraiser. Any that are particularly good? (I'm planning on getting one for us and one as a christmas gift for friends.)

vonfirmath
11-24-2009, 10:05 AM
I LOVE Jim Weiss. Go to his website (http://www.greathall.com/) and you can hear samples, as well as seeing which CDs are geared to different levels. He's on our Christmas list this year (Tell me a Story! A collection of Classic) When the son is a bit older, I also want American Tall Tales

brittone2
11-24-2009, 12:20 PM
We love him. DS has a lot of Greathall CDs and they get a TON of play at our house. He also narrates the Story of the World series which is a history curriculum for kids...we use it as part of our homeschooling.

How old is your DC? There are some that are geared toward younger kids (Uncle Wiggly, Just So Stories, etc.) and then some that are geared toward older kids.

caleymama
11-24-2009, 01:02 PM
So jealous! We don't own any but check them out of the library all the time. AFAIK, everything we've borrowed has been a hit. Our library has a very good selection of them so we've listened to a wide variety.

marie
11-24-2009, 06:05 PM
How old is your DC?

DD1 is 6 and will listen to Roald Dahl audio books in one sitting - that kind of attention span.

our friends kids (age 6 and 4) don't have that kind of attention span so maybe I will get a young'ish one for them and an older one for DD1. (DD2 is just always along for the ride, so to speak! poor thing!)

thanks for the input.

brittone2
11-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Good Night is good for sort of unwinding/relaxing and works for little and big kids IMO. Not exciting, but good for sort of unwinding or when DS can't sleep.

We like the Shakespeare one w/ Taming of the Shrew and A Midsummer Night's Dream.

DS likes Greek Myths...but that has a few scarier parts and he's pretty sensitive, so that might be better for less sensitive or older kids. He likes it, but it scares him a little at parts I think.

King Arthur is good. I gave that to DS last year for Christmas when he also got a Playmobil castle. He really didn't know what "knights" were per se so that sort of introduced the idea.

I'm trying to remember what else we have. I'm planning on getting 1-2 more for his bday. He listens to books on CD every night at bedtime and Jim Weiss is in heavy rotation.