PDA

View Full Version : In the Night Kitchen--Love it!

DrSally
11-24-2009, 12:06 AM
So, based on some reviews here, we check out "In the Night Kitchen" from the library. It was strange on first read, but DS immediately loved it and was filled with giggles. The illustrations are really evocative and I think DS really likes the meter of the language. He walks around saying various phrases from the book and it's catchy!--Milk in the batter, milk in the batter...

It's fun to find a truly creative children's book. Some books are so straight forward and not very lyrical or artistic at all, KWIM?

bluestar2
11-24-2009, 12:10 AM
If you get a chance, check out the Scholastic video. I love that one!

DrSally
11-24-2009, 12:11 AM
If you get a chance, check out the Scholastic video. I love that one!

I didn't know there was a scholastic video! I'll have to see if I can find it, DS would love it.

bluestar2
11-24-2009, 12:16 AM
It's bundled with Where the Wild Things Are.

hellokitty
11-24-2009, 12:23 AM
I think it's a little weird, but my boys love it. In fact, they have recited all of the words to it and when I read it, they shout it along with me as I read it.

DrSally
11-24-2009, 12:27 AM
I think it's a little weird, but my boys love it. In fact, they have recited all of the words to it and when I read it, they shout it along with me as I read it.

Yeah, it's surreal, but then it's supposed to be a dream. At first, I was a little shocked by the full frontal, but then I thought, only an adult would be shocked by it. DS loves the language too, it's so catchy.

ETA: I just looked and my library only has it on VHS, so I'm going to have to look next time I'm at Costco.

SnuggleBuggles
11-24-2009, 08:27 AM
That one creeps me out. :) Dh loved that book growing up so I bought it without reading it first. Not what I was expecting!

Beth

vonfirmath
11-24-2009, 09:59 AM
We love this book. MUCH better thn Where the Wild Things are. And the frontal doesn't bother us cause it isn't "sexual"

hellokitty
11-24-2009, 10:03 AM
Yeah, it's surreal, but then it's supposed to be a dream. At first, I was a little shocked by the full frontal, but then I thought, only an adult would be shocked by it. DS loves the language too, it's so catchy.

ETA: I just looked and my library only has it on VHS, so I'm going to have to look next time I'm at Costco.

It's worth it to get the huge scholastic dvd set, b/c there is one dvd that is all maurice sendak stories. My kids LOVE it and so do I. Almost all of the books are children's classics. I know costco usually has it around the holidays, I got it at amazon last yr for a really good price.