PDA

View Full Version : Bikini Wax for Dummies?

MamaMolly
11-24-2009, 01:17 PM
I know, I know. First it was bidets now this...What must you guys think of me? :bag

We are living in a very warm climate now, with swimming season pretty much all year 'round. (TMI ahead...) And now that I've hit the 20 week mark with DD2 I can't seem to see around my belly to shave those areas. IYKWIM. So I'm thinking of going for a bikini wax. What can you tell me?

What *exactly* do they do?
Do I take my undies off?
Is it sticky down there afterwards like with an eyebrow wax?
Any tips you'd care to share with a newbie?

Feel free to PM me if you are more comfortable going into gory details that way!
TIA ladies.

elektra
11-24-2009, 01:31 PM
First of all, getting a wax hurts worse when you are pregnant. (Sorry!)
I would take some pregnancy-approved painkillers right before you go. (Can you take Advil at that point? I can't remember.)

What *exactly* do they do? They have a pot of wax, then use a metal tool to smooth it on, then they take a paper strip and lay it on your skin, then RIP! - they rip it off.
Do I take my undies off? You don't have to for a regular bikini wax. But if you really want a good job it's better to just take them off, IMO. If you are ok with taking your undies off and want to get all the hair off "underneath and in back", you should specify that you want a "brazilian" or "playboy" wax. I've heard it called both. It's up to you if you want to take everything completely off, or if you want to leave some in the front. My preference is to leave a little in front, as it's just a little too weird to me to be completely bald.

Is it sticky down there afterwards like with an eyebrow wax? Yah, pretty much. They give you a towel, but you may have to clean up a bit afterwards.

Any tips you'd care to share with a newbie? It will work better if the hair isn't too short. They need something to pull out, KWIM? And I would try to take the pain killers before too.

MamaMolly
11-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Thank you a million times over, Electra! This is a perfect example why I :heartbeat: the BBB!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-24-2009, 02:18 PM
A brazilian might be awkward preggers. I had to get into positions that are uncomfortable on a good day...

AJP
11-24-2009, 10:09 PM
I was uncomfortable at 20 weeks with twins...I could barely get into some of those positions! Hope you are more flexible/limber with a singleton! I miss my waxes. I'm still too embarassed of my ugly twin belly to get half naked!

jerigirl
11-24-2009, 10:36 PM
It will work better if the hair isn't too short. They need something to pull out, KWIM? And I would try to take the pain killers before too.

But- if it is too long, then the hair breaks off and doesn't get the root and you can get bruising.

The salon that I have gone to gives me a paper thong (like the underwear shown in photos of plastic surgery patients) that you can adjust the width of to expose more or less depending on how much you want waxed.

Twoboos
11-24-2009, 11:11 PM
I usually go to Elizabeth Grady salon, and apply some alcohol, then baby powder, then they apply the wax (with a wooden stick, like a big coffee stirrer!), then it cools and they just rip it off - no paper on top. They even tweeze strays if they won't come up w/the wax. Reapply alcohol and powder, which reduces the stickies.

I wear my undies (a yucky pair, since usually a little wax will get on them) and just pull them up to expose the bikini area as much as I want waxed, if that makes sense?

I've been getting waxed for a looooong time. Does it hurt - eh, it's definitely uncomfortable, but I'm pretty used to it. (What does hurt like HE!! is getting lasered on your upper lip - OMG!!!)

Goodness, I haven't been in a long time. I think they'd need a machete to get started. UGH.

GL!!

Carrots
11-24-2009, 11:38 PM
I usually go to Elizabeth Grady salon, and apply some alcohol, then baby powder, then they apply the wax (with a wooden stick, like a big coffee stirrer!), then it cools and they just rip it off - no paper on top. They even tweeze strays if they won't come up w/the wax. Reapply alcohol and powder, which reduces the stickies.

I wear my undies (a yucky pair, since usually a little wax will get on them) and just pull them up to expose the bikini area as much as I want waxed, if that makes sense?

I also go to Elizabeth Grady and the way PP described it is perfect. I am a newly converted waxer. I was so nervous the first time I went, but the girl who did the wax was great and I now go back to her every 5 weeks (brows and bikini).

Good luck!

happymom
11-25-2009, 12:53 AM

I've been getting waxed for a looooong time. Does it hurt - eh, it's definitely uncomfortable, but I'm pretty used to it. (What does hurt like HE!! is getting lasered on your upper lip - OMG!!!)

Goodness, I haven't been in a long time. I think they'd need a machete to get started. UGH.

GL!!

Basically :yeahthat: to all of the above. I went to a local salon/spa that a friend of mine recommended- she told me to ask for the blue wax because its less painful, so I did. They spread on the wax, wait for it to cool and then pull it off- no paper strips. The first time I went I was terrified, so I asked the girl to do a small area at a time. That helped I think.

The place I go to offeres paper undies, but I always just pull mine over as PP mentioned. I never got a brazilian and never plan on it.

trales
11-25-2009, 11:54 AM
What about the ingrown hairs. I home wax and have so many ingrown hairs it is awful. I loofah, exfoliate, pluck ect, but still ingrown hairs.

Should I try a professional or do I just have that kind of coarse curly hair that is prone to it.

sansdieu
11-25-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm pretty sure Advil is not allowed at 20 weeks, but check with your OB/GYN.
I am very prone to ingrown hairs, and I find that the only thing that works for me is applying salicylic acid to the treated area once or twice a day (again, you'd need to check with your Dr. -- it's the same ingredient that you have in aspirin, but applied topically, it's probably OK for a pg woman). You can use any acne cream containing S.A., or, an even easier option, those Clearasil pads that teens with acne use ;)

Also, I personally found that, contrary to what one would imagine, it hurt less to wax the bikini (the "fleshier" part) than the legs, especially the bony parts. That was worse than giving birth!

3blackcats
11-25-2009, 08:55 PM
They should always use powder before they apply the wax. It prevents the skin from sticking as much. This is what my waxer told me. I ask her not to tell me when she is about to rip it off. Then I don't have time to brace myself. i always just get the front, never the back.

IMO, a free wax should be included while the epidural is still in your system after birth :)

Elilly
11-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Ummm..... "the back"? I understand "underneath", but are we talking about hindies here?

lizzywednesday
11-25-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm pretty sure Advil is not allowed at 20 weeks, but check with your OB/GYN.
I am very prone to ingrown hairs, and I find that the only thing that works for me is applying salicylic acid to the treated area once or twice a day (again, you'd need to check with your Dr. -- it's the same ingredient that you have in aspirin, but applied topically, it's probably OK for a pg woman). You can use any acne cream containing S.A., or, an even easier option, those Clearasil pads that teens with acne use ;) ...

Salicylic acid is NOT okay during pregnancy ... I typically use a salicylic acid acne gel and was told to cease-and-desist when I got pregnant. Then I had to go through my cleansers to see if any of them contained it & I pitched those, too. Benzoyl peroxide is OK, but not salicylic acid!

I've since switched to witch hazel.

tnrnchick74
11-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Got it done through my entire pregnancy. DEFINITELY hurt worse when pregnant (actually hurt worse early and then right before delivery).

I do a full brazilian, and my lady had no problem...not even when I waddled in and could barely get on the table. SHE adjusted me. I knew my hospital would want to shave me before my c-section, so I opted to take it all off before.

I use Burt's Bees apricot oil afterwards (take it with me to appointments) - helps soothe and get sticky off.

I get horrible ingrowns from shaving...as as long as I exfoliate "down there" I get VERY FEW ingrowns from waxing.

I wouldn't change a things! A few minutes of pain for MUCH easier "housekeeping"

tnrnchick74
11-25-2009, 09:24 PM
IMO, a free wax should be included while the epidural is still in your system after birth :)

I TOLD my OB this suggestion...he laughed but did say it would be a good idea!!!

Twoboos
11-25-2009, 09:28 PM
What about the ingrown hairs. I home wax and have so many ingrown hairs it is awful. I loofah, exfoliate, pluck ect, but still ingrown hairs.

Should I try a professional or do I just have that kind of coarse curly hair that is prone to it.

There is a product out there called TendSkin that helps SO much with ingrowns - I think it's alcohol and aspirin mixed together! It's at a lot of places, or salons, but here's a link from Sephora
http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc
t.jhtml?id=P13024&cm_mmc=us_search-_-GoogleBase-_-P13024-_-1182286&_requestid=42976&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=1182286

ETA: I do not know if it's safe to use when pg.

lizzywednesday
11-25-2009, 09:32 PM
There is a product out there called TendSkin that helps SO much with ingrowns - I think it's alcohol and aspirin mixed together! It's at a lot of places, or salons, but here's a link from Sephora
http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc
t.jhtml?id=P13024&cm_mmc=us_search-_-GoogleBase-_-P13024-_-1182286&_requestid=42976&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=1182286

TendSkin works, but it burns like crazy due to the acid in it.

Also, it has a counterindication that pregnant/nursing moms shouldn't use it because it has not been tested on them.

Corie
11-25-2009, 10:47 PM
And now that I've hit the 20 week mark with DD2 I can't seem to see around my belly to shave those areas. IYKWIM.

That became my husband's job when I couldn't see around my belly.

He really liked this job. :)

MamaMolly
11-25-2009, 11:37 PM
That became my husband's job when I couldn't see around my belly.

He really liked this job. :)

Oh Corie! :) Always good for a giggle. Thanks. But that would mean that DH came within a 10 foot radius of me nekkid while preggers...maybe I'd better head over to the BP ;).