PDA

View Full Version : H1NI and reg flu shot together?

lovin2shop
11-24-2009, 01:56 PM
At the same visit? I've finally got an appointment next week for my 22 month old to get the H1N1. But, my ped's office called back and said they also scheduled him to get the 2nd dose of the regular flu shot since he hasn't had it yet. I had planned to space them all out by a month, but she said that it was fine to do them together and that they may not have any of the flu shot left in a month.

I'm leaning toward not doing them together, but just wondering if anyone here had done this or gotten info on it? I'm definitely pro-flu shot, but confused about the double doses. If I understand correctly, the H1N1 is the same as the regular flu shot, but just a different strain. And in the year of the first vaccination, it takes two doses to have optimal effectiveness. But, then the next year's vaccine has a different strain and it only takes one dose. So, if these are essentially 2 years worth of shots, why wouldn't three doses work? I know I'm over simplifying things here, but I'm still nervous over the 4 doses in one year's time!

MoJo
11-24-2009, 02:02 PM
My ped also said DD could/should have her first H1N1 shot and her seasonal flu booster on the same day.

I wasn't comfortable with it, but I can't give you any great rationale for that.

I had to go to the county clinic for the H1N1, and decided NOT to also try to go to the ped's office's seasonal flu clinic the same day, even though that's what they recommended.

Both of her shots had the thimerosal, and I think that's part of my hesitation to do both at the same time. So I still need to schedule a booster for each.

So anyway, you're not alone in wrestling with this.

mommylamb
11-24-2009, 02:06 PM
I think it's fine so long as at least one of the vaxes is a shot. You can't do two mists at the same time.

wendibird22
11-24-2009, 02:13 PM
DD got both shots at the same visit. One in each leg. Not usually a fan of more than one vax per visit, but I wasn't willing to risk not being able to get one of them at a later date.

Tondi G
11-24-2009, 07:05 PM
wondering if maybe you could do the H1N1 and then schedule for the 2nd flu shot in 2 or 3 weeks? at least give a little spacing?