PDA

View Full Version : Trouble transitioning to finger foods.

mecawa
11-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Did any of your kids have this issue, and if so, what did you do, because I am completely out of ideas?

DD2 is 10 1/2 months old. She started on solids at 5 months, and took to it like a pro. I started to introduce her to Cheerios at about 8 months, and she had no interest at all, but I just kept putting them on the tray while I spoon fed her and eventually she came around and started eating them, she now loves them and eats about 1/2 cup every morning. The problem is that is all she will eat and try. I've tried grilled cheese, canned pears, peas, peaches, turkey, pasta, and she will not even pick it up and try it, just cheerios (oh and she likes those biter biscut things too). She loves to be spoon feed just about anything though. I mentioned this to the ped at our last visit and she said it was probably due to her prematurity (she was 1 1/2 months early) and to just keep giving her finger foods on the tray and if she doesn't eat enough then just give her a jar of baby food instead. So, that's what I've been doing, but she will be 11 months next week and I just think she should be taking more at this age.

So I'd appreciate any ideas/advice or BTDT. I wonder if I compare her to DD1 too much, she was totally off baby food by 10 months (may have been 9 1/2 months) and eating whatever we ate for dinner.

sunshine873
11-24-2009, 03:42 PM
This is why I skipped purees. DD never got used to us feeding her with a spoon, everything she ate, she picked up and put in her mouth - from 7-8 months on.

I don't have any suggestions, other than just keep trying. And give her a little time with the foods on her tray. Sometimes I have to not watch DD and then she eats a little better.

Also, definitely keep her prematurity in mind (like your Dr. said.) My DD was 3 1/2 months early and I really need to keep her adjusted age in mind with anything developmentally (eating included.)

brittone2
11-24-2009, 03:46 PM
I'd just keep offering, and yes, I think the prematurity could play a part. If you start to get really concerned and she's not eating more table food or is having texture issues, lots of gagging or anything like that, you might want to talk with an SLP or OT that deals in feeding-related issues as sometimes preemies are prone to sensory aversion and or oral motor issues. FWIW my DS and DD preferred finger foods, but both ate very small volumes (DS in particular). Good variety, but very small volume of food (and neither liked to be spoon fed purees at ALL). DS really didn't eat more volume until like 13-15 months. It all worked out. I wasn't concerned since he ate a variety of foods and textures and was still BFing. If you start to notice she really doesn't want to touch certain textures or can't deal with handing texture in the next few months, you might try talking to someone who deals w/ feeding. You could also watch her fine motor skills to see how they develop, but eating the cheerios at 9 months adjusted age is very solidly age-appropriate for fine motor skills right now.