PDA

View Full Version : Do you co-sleep with your kids?

arivecchi
11-24-2009, 04:57 PM
I am wondering how widespread (or not) co-sleeping is. We currently co-sleep with our toddler but the baby sleeps in his crib. I must say that I :heartbeat: co-sleeping except for the fact that I don't get as much down-time.

If you do co-sleep, how old is the DC you co-sleep with?

lorinick
11-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Never co slept either of my kids. I can see how down time would be a problem.

carolinamama
11-24-2009, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't say that we co-sleep per se, but DS1 does sleep in our bed if DH is out of town or if he gets scared in the middle of the night. Sometimes I love him cuddling up next to me. DS2 always sleeps in his crib since he thinks our bed is just one big playground but he did spend alot of nights in there when he was a young infant. Maybe we are sometimes co-sleepers.

arivecchi
11-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Yeah - my TV viewing time has been greatly reduced. :ROTFLMAO:DS1 used to sleep by himself until we took him out of the crib. He's been in our bed ever since.

Melaine
11-24-2009, 05:01 PM
No, with the exception of putting one or the other in bed with me when I was too exhausted to hold them upright (when they were infants). Have also slept with one when sick, in our spare bedroom. DH takes up too much room in our bed....

brittone2
11-24-2009, 05:01 PM
DS coslept with us until he was about 3 or maybe a month or two beyond that. DD was born when he was just under 3. When she was a total newborn, I slept with her for probably a week or two in a queen bed in a different room than DH/DS until night nursing took less work and until she settled into a little bit of a routine. Then all 4 of us coslept in our king bed for about 2 months. (we upgraded from a queen to a king while I was pg). DS wasn't ready for his own room prior to DD being born and I didn't want him to feel displaced by the new baby. By a little over 3 he was ready and excited to move into his own room and we made a big deal out of picking out bedding, etc.

DD is almost 3 and still cosleeping. She's *talking* about sleeping in her own bed, but not quite there yet. We'll cosleep with her and new baby (we separate the older child from the baby in bed, they don't cosleep next to one anotehr) if necessary.

There's a good chance we'll move 2 months or so after baby #3 arrives, so that might bring the chance to spin the opportunity to redesign a new room for DD and get her excited about her own bed. Maybe.

gatorsmom
11-24-2009, 05:02 PM
I've coslept with all 4 of my children at various moments of their life.

Gator and Cha Cha coslept from birth to about 7 or 8 months before being transitioned slowly to their cribs.

Greenbean and Sisi kicked their father out of the bed and I coslept with them from birth til 7 months.

For the past year, Cha Cha goes to bed in his toddler bed and then comes running into our room at about 2am every night. Gator usually joins us around 5am. I get plenty of down time until 2am and DH and I get alone time too. So, I actually look forward to them running into our room. Cha Cha is unbelievably cuddly. I hope he stays that way for along time. :love5:

arivecchi
11-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Gatorsmom, I agree, nothing better than a cuddly kiddo in bed!

Brittone, are you telling me that DS is not leaving our bed anytime soon? :eek: He says he is afraid of the dark. We gave up on him being in his bed because of the awful/puking tantrums he was throwing. He does nap in his bed in the afternoon with the nanny.

sste
11-24-2009, 05:07 PM
We don't co-sleep. I just completed a (successful!) course of insomnia treatment and DH has now gone to the same sleep center for treatment of his Restless Leg Syndrome. We are pretty much the worst candidates on earth for co-sleeping. We have even considered sleeping in our own separate beds as a married couple at one point when DH's restless leg was awful.

If we didn't have these issues, think I would like the aspect of co-sleeping that would allow for more time and snuggling with DS, especially as I work FT. But, I would really miss the break we get from putting him to bed in his own room and the clear division of having my own space and time after a long day. And due to our work schedules it was really important to DH and I that DS be a good sleeper from the get-go and I think it would have taken longer to achieve sleeping through the night, etc if we co-slept.

m448
11-24-2009, 05:09 PM
I've coslept with all three of my kids and all the negative predictions never came through. I didn't intend to, I was exhausted after two weeks of playing with a motion sensor baby that would wake up five minutes after being laid down fast asleep in the PnP or the crib. One night I fell asleep with him in bed and my husband and I woke up startled around 5am because we had actually slept. From then on we made our bed a safe sleeping area began our cosleeping journey. He slept between us until the age of 2 when his brother was born. Then we had him transition to the outer side of the bed (between a sidecarred crib and the wall) while his baby brother slept in the middle mostly in the crook of my arm until he was mobile. Then when DS1 was around 3 we took off the sidecarred bed and added a twin to extend the sleeping surface (king size bed + twin bed).

This arrangement continued until well after #3 was born and earlier this year (they were 5 and 3) we bought a bunk bed, set up the boys' room and both boys began to sleep in their own room. Baby is still (at 14 months) in our bed in the middle. I don't have an issue with down time. All my kids have slept in my bed alone until I go to bed just fine. They do wake once or twice to nurse but easily go back to sleep.

I do find there's an intense time around 7-10 months old where all babies (cosleeping or crib sleeping) wake constantly between the 7-11pm hours and are hard to put down. After my first I realized it was just a stage and much easier to go with the flow knowing that.

pb&j
11-24-2009, 05:10 PM
No. We did briefly when both kids were brand new newborns. But DH and I can't sleep with the kids in the bed.

firsttimemama
11-24-2009, 05:12 PM
We have coslept with our DS since birth - first 3 wks in a cosleeper and since then in bed with me. (ETA: he's almost 2.)

brittone2
11-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Gatorsmom, I agree, nothing better than a cuddly kiddo in bed!

Brittone, are you telling me that DS is not leaving our bed anytime soon? :eek: He says he is afraid of the dark. We gave up on him being in his bed because of the awful/puking tantrums he was throwing. He does nap in his bed in the afternoon with the nanny.

I never pressed it with my kids. I offered and hyped up their own room, etc. but waited for them to be ready. I'm okay with that after seeing how DS transitioned to his own room...it took like a week to make the transition (DH slept with him a bit during that first week), but it was very gentle and gradual and low-drama. I'd rather go that way than have it be a ton of stress on him and us. He's a kid that really craves/craved physical closeness, etc. and I think he just wasn't ready before 3. When he was ready, it was pretty easy and painless. It took away the fear for me that it would be "forever" like many people like to warn you about with cosleeping, kwim?

I thought DD would transition out earlier on her own (different personality) but she may beat out her brother for total time spent cosleeping LOL. I also thought for a while that she might transition into sleeping w/ him (DS has our old queen-sized bed) vs. us, but any time we've tried that it is waaay too much of a party atmosphere in there. DS stays up late now reading too, and he values that quiet time without DD in his face/space, so having her in there just wouldn't work.

DebbieJ
11-24-2009, 05:14 PM
I didn't vote because there was no option for me.

We currently co sleep with our 2 mo. The 6yo always joins us at some point during the night but we don't wake up enough to put him back in bed.

Katigre
11-24-2009, 05:16 PM
We love cosleeping in our house.

We all sleep really well that way (to the point that even with a newborn I was well-rested). My kids both sleep so much deeper when they're with us vs. separated, and I especially like how cosleeping makes travel much easier. As long as they're with us they can sleep easily anywhere.

Part of the draw for us is that we have a very tiny house so designating one room the 'sleeping room' makes things easier space-wise. DH and I get plenty of downtime in the evening - the kids go to sleep in our bed and I get up and go back to the other room. If we want some alone time we go to another room in the house which works just fine.

DS coslept from birth, we transitioned him to a crib in our room at 18 months and then to his own room at age 2. We still coslept part-time as he woke up at midnight-ish each night to go to the bathroom and if we wanted to go right back to sleep we brought him to our bed (otherwise one of us would put him back to sleep in his bed).

He was totally out of our bed for over a year. Then recently we decided to move him back to our bed (he now sleeps at the foot instead of next to us) because it made nights a lot easier. He was waking up in a crying panic with nightmares and fears about scary noises at 1am every night and this continued for months - one of us would have to get up with him, calm him down, and put him back to sleep (or else call out to him 'come to our room, come on!' b/c we didn't want to get up).

Finally we decided to try him in our room from the beginning of the night instead and the nightwaking stopped altogether immediately - he started STTN again without waking up afraid. I asked him about it and he told me that in our room there are no scary noises, only in his room. I love that being in the same room with us at night gives him so much security and helps his sleep without any additional effort from us (actually less effort - we get to sleep uninterrupted now which is great! And if we want 'alone time' ;) after the kids are asleep we don't have to worry about him waking up with a nightmare to interrupt us (which happened when he was sleeping alone). I remember being 3-4 and feeling scared at night and wanting to sleep in my parents' room but they locked us out and we stood outside the door banging and crying. I'd rather meet what I see as a legitimate emotional/relational need (lonely and needing the security of another person when it's dark and scary).

DD is 9 months and an excellent sleeper (but a crappy napper). She sleeps next to us all night and nurses a few times at night (which I like - it keeps my milk supply up and keeps AF away). I have to take her potty once or twice during the night/early morning b/c she wakes up having to pee and won't resettle until she goes (we EC and she goes on the potty part-time). But I'm fine with dealing with nighttime potty trips if it means less dirty diapers and earlier night training.

Our 'master plan' (hahaha) is to move both kids to a shared bedroom across the hall into bunkbed when DD is 2. She'll sleep on the bottom, DS will be 5 and sleep on the top, and hopefully we'll have a new baby sleeping in our room.

arivecchi
11-24-2009, 05:17 PM
I also thought for a while that she might transition into sleeping w/ him (DS has our old queen-sized bed) vs. us, but any time we've tried that it is waaay too much of a party atmosphere in there. DS stays up late now reading too, and he values that quiet time without DD in his face/space, so having her in there just wouldn't work. This made me laugh! I can imagine them partying away. I could not handle the awful tantrums when we tried to have DS1 sleep in his bed on his own. It was way worse than doing CIO, so I like your low key approach.

m448
11-24-2009, 05:18 PM
I also wanted to add that my husband is now the biggest advocate for cosleeping. He takes every new dad at his job and encourages them to consider cosleeping. We actually are rested and as one who doesn't night wean until close to their second birthday it makes nursing a much easier job (I barely stir to latch on baby).

brittone2
11-24-2009, 05:20 PM
This made me laugh! I can imagine them partying away

Yeah, they are both already night owls, and putting them together...I seriously think they would not fall asleep until 3-4 am, and I'm not kidding :p They would definitely feed off one another and they both already stay up fairly late for their ages (but thankfully both get enough sleep and sleep in waaaay late in the morning LOL).

LarsMal
11-24-2009, 05:20 PM
DS stayed in our room until he was 4 months and both girls stayed until they were 6 months, but not in our bed.

I love cuddling in bed with C after her early morning feeding (around 6AM). There were also many nights during her first couple months where I let her sleep several hours at a time on my chest. DS went through a phase where he came in our room every night. For the four months that DH was working out of town DS slept on DH's side of the bed. That's about the extent of our "co-sleeping" though.

I love my kids, but I need my space! I wish I didn't have to sleep in bed with DH!! A bedroom big enough for side-by-side full or queen size beds would be ideal for me. ;)

SnuggleBuggles
11-24-2009, 05:21 PM
We co-slept till both boys were a few months old. I would have gone longer with ds2 but I couldn't figure out the logistics once he started to roll. He could sleep 11 hours but I couldn't...and I couldn't leave him alone unattended. So, it was off to his crib.

We only do it now if someone is sick or we are traveling and the need is there.

Beth

elektra
11-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Never with DD. I was too afraid of her rolling out of bed or me rolling onto her when she was tiny. And then the few times we have tried to get her to sleep in our bed as a sort of short term solution (on vacation, her not settling down in her crib, her being sick, etc.) she just thinks it's a party and she wants to jump around. Well, I guess there have been a few early mornings since her toddler bed transistion that she did doze off a bit.
And then with DS, we coslept a bit in the very early mornings when he was < 3mo. (I wasn't so afraid with him), but since then he has been happy in his crib.

cono0507
11-24-2009, 05:24 PM
I did with DD during a rough a patch from age 4mo -10 mo or so when she would.not.sleep. Now, the only co-sleeping we do is when my now 2.5 yo DD joins us in bed at 6am and sleeps with us until 730 or so. :)

deborah_r
11-24-2009, 05:32 PM
We had DS1 in his own bed for a good stretch there, but then he started saying he was scared so he is back with us. I would like to get them sleeping in their own room soon, now that we moved and they actually have a room! I have no idea how to do it though. DS2 is still nursing and wants to nurse at night if he wakes. He comes looking for me still half-asleep if I am not there.

Moneypenny
11-24-2009, 05:58 PM
We wanted to with DD but she wasn't having it, not even at a week old! She slept much better on her own in her crib than in bed with us. As she has gotten older, she has occasionally asked to sleep with us and we agree, but she's never made it more than 30 minutes before asking for permission to go to her own bed, lol!

wellyes
11-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Only when they're little enough to need frequent night nursings.

Melanie
11-24-2009, 06:01 PM
I co-slept with mine from infancy to age 2 for one and age 1 for the other. When they were tiny I'd often try to put them down somewhere else, but at some point they'd end up in our bed.

gatorsmom
11-24-2009, 06:02 PM
We actually are rested and as one who doesn't night wean until close to their second birthday it makes nursing a much easier job (I barely stir to latch on baby).

I encourage new parents to cosleep too. When I realized that I could sleep and have baby constantly near so that he could bfeed on demand and that meant sleeping better for all, I was ALL ABOUT THAT. I loved that after awhile the babies almost latched on without my help! I felt like it was the best-kept secret around.

sarahsthreads
11-24-2009, 06:04 PM
We part-time co-sleep.

DD1 co-slept full time until she was 8 or 9 months old, and then she started sleeping through the night in her crib. (She would start the night in her crib and come into our bed when she woke up.) Since she moved out of the crib, she's gone through phases where she's slept by herself most of the time, and phases where she's slept with us most nights. Many mornings I wake up to a little girl snuggling with me and have no recollection of when she crawled in with us!

DD2 never, ever co-slept. I tried. But she's really much better at sleeping on her own. (Falls asleep within minutes, sleeps all night in her crib, and has since she was just 3 or 4 months old!)

I suspect when DD2 moves into a bed that DD1 will start sleeping with her! But we'll see...it won't be for a while yet, anyway. I'm not messing with the sleeping all night in a crib thing!

Sarah :)

citymama
11-24-2009, 06:10 PM
We did not co-sleep with DD in the same bed when she was an infant, but her crib was in our room till 16 months. Then she slept in her own room 16months to about 3. As soon as the sides came down from the crib, our lives changed. For the last 8 months she has slept most of the night with us every night. She usually comes in around an hour after we go to bed, but sometimes it's even before we're in bed. I consider that forced co-sleeping because our preference is that she sleep in her own bed/room. But in secret, DH and I love to snuggle up with our warm cuddly DD! We have to figure out how to change this before DC#2 comes along. Hmm.

Katigre
11-24-2009, 06:18 PM
I encourage new parents to cosleep too. When I realized that I could sleep and have baby constantly near so that he could bfeed on demand and that meant sleeping better for all, I was ALL ABOUT THAT. I loved that after awhile the babies almost latched on without my help! I felt like it was the best-kept secret around.
Nursing laying down is the most wonderful thing during newbornhood (and beyond). I would be so sleep deprived without it, I can't even imagine. My mantra with a newborn baby is 'never get out of bed at night!' so I had my nightstand piled with a flashlight, diapers and new clothes, and the most I did at night was sit up to change a diaper.

elephantmeg
11-24-2009, 06:25 PM
I voted infants only but even that was short lived. More or less full time for the first 6ish weeks and then after the second feeding for a while and then not at all. I think both kids were in their cribs all night by 6ish months.

codex57
11-24-2009, 06:27 PM
DS has always coslept with us. He just turned 2. DD cosleeps on occasion. Typically when I'm kicked out of bed.

frgsnlzrds
11-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Not by choice. DD HATES her bed.

mamicka
11-24-2009, 06:49 PM
I voted with infants only. Clarifying that that's the only time it worked for us. I'm not opposed to co-sleeping with toddlers if it would work for us.

Tondi G
11-24-2009, 06:54 PM
well we do and we don't. We all climb in our bed at night and watch a little tv and sometimes one or both of the boys will knock out in our bed and sometimes not. If not, then I go with them into their room and lay down with my little guy and 8 yr old goes up on his bunk. Sometimes 8 year old will climb into the bottom bunk (full size) with DS#2 and I. Once the boys knock out I go to my own bed. Some nights they both stay in their own room... but most nights DS#2 comes barreling down the hallway to our room (usually between 12 and 2am)... then I walk him back to the potty to pee (he has a habit of peeing in my bed, don't know if it's just so warm and cozy or what?). Then the 2 of us get back into bed with DH and sleep. Some mornings after DH leaves at 5:30 my 8 year old will climb into Daddy's spot and I wake up with 2 cuddly boys in the morning. It all works for me! DH and I both know it won't last too much longer with our 8 year old so we are enjoying the closeness and cuddles we still get from him.

We co-slept with DS#1 till he was 9 months old I think. He was a big night nurser and it was the only way I got any sleep. With DS#2 he stayed in our bed or the co-sleeper till he was 2 months old. Then we brought our then 4 year old to our bed and moved him into the crib in the boys room. It made a world of difference for everyone. We all slept better that way!

Ivy_CA
11-24-2009, 07:35 PM
My first son moved into bed with us around 3 months old and didn't leave until he was...4? 5? I can't quite recall, but I know it was at the beginning of a summer. He had a crib but he resisted all attempts to put him in it. (before 3 mos he was in a pack n play bassinet beside me) My younger son didn't even have a crib, we never bothered to set it up. He coslept with us until he was um...2 and a halfish. See we decided we wanted our bed back (sometimes I would get the bottom corner of the bed and that was it) and we moved them both into their own room at the same time. We thought it would be better for them if they were together. They do okay, but the younger one especially tends to pop up in other people's beds in the middle of the night - my mom lives with us, and her room is closer, so it is usually in her bed. Also because they have some knack to not waking her, whereas if they pop up in my bed in the middle of the night, I usually wake up and put them back. :D

When we have #3 she/he will have a pack n play bassinet for naptimes and for a safe space to put him/her down in when I have to move about the house but at bedtime we'll be co-sleeping all the way. Co-sleeping and nursing is the absolute perfect combination to getting sleep at night with an infant. :D

tylersmama
11-24-2009, 07:46 PM
I would have if it would've worked for us, but DS does not sleep well with others. There is kicking and thrashing around, and once he wakes up, there is giggling and tormenting the dog. All things that defeat the purpose of co-sleeping! The ironic thing is that when he's in his own bed, he sleeps like the dead and doesn't move AT ALL. I tried co-sleeping a few times when he was little, but he slept through the night so early (around 6 weeks) that it really wasn't necessary.

elliput
11-24-2009, 08:00 PM
DS (14 mo) has co-slept since birth and is still night nursing. DD co-slept until she was a year old when I transitioned her to crib full-time- however she was still night nursing until 16 months. It seems more often than not, DD (4 yo) ends up in the bed with us at some point during the night. Some nights she falls right back asleep and we all get good rest. Other times she is climbing all over the place. On those nights, she is put back in her room.

hillview
11-24-2009, 08:05 PM
We co slept til about 3 months (maybe 2)? It seemed to work for everyone at that time. If DH is traveling or DS is sick I co-sleep if DS wakes up in the middle of the night and can't settle back down. DS #1 has a queen size bed so I crash out there if he is sick etc. I'd say maybe have spend 10-15 nights a year sleeping with him this year. So it isn't a ton. Same number for DS #2 this year.

I should say it is just what works best of us. I don't sleep well with someone else in my bed (including DH) and I need my sleep.
/hillary

ellies mom
11-24-2009, 08:11 PM
With the oldest, we co-slept through the night until she was about 8 months old and then partly through the night for another year or so. With the youngest we are still co-sleeping through the night at 19 months but that is because I'm in nursing school and I just don't have the extra energy to deal with getting her to sleep in the crib.

s7714
11-24-2009, 08:17 PM
I said never, but now that I think about it, I suppose you could say I did co-sleep with my younger DD for about the first three months of her life. I finally got smart and instead of falling asleep in the rocking chair while nursing her, I set up camp on the couch. We slept there together for almost three months.

fivi2
11-24-2009, 08:19 PM
not officially, but...

Not at all when they were infants. They were preemies, I was nervous, they slept together in a crib right next to our bed.

Then they went through a phase where they were horrible sleeping with us - playing, kicking - no one got any sleep.

Once they turned about 3 yo, we do more than we ever did. If dh is gone, they will sleep with me. And, about every other night, one or both will end up in our bed at some point in the night. They now share a queen bed, so sometimes one will come in our bed and either me or dh will go sleep with the other in their bed.

But - they have pretty much always shared a bed with each other if they are not with us.

(so I did not vote - not sure where we fit!)

ThreeofUs
11-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Coslept with DS1 and DS2. Totally different personalities and sleep issues. DS2 is now loving his crib and is pretty restless in bed with us; DS1 would love to be curled up with his feet tucked under me.

jent
11-24-2009, 09:22 PM
I love my kids, but I need my space! I wish I didn't have to sleep in bed with DH!! A bedroom big enough for side-by-side full or queen size beds would be ideal for me. ;)
:yeahthat: I am a light sleeper, and though I tried keeping DD in my bed to nurse when she was younger, I basically never slept when she was there. So, she slept in either her bassinet or her crib from early on. I remember a few times when she was sick and up a lot at night, we tried bringing her into our bed for consolation but she didn't even like it-- didn't understand that she was supposed to sleep there. So, at those times, we set up camp in her room.

As far as DH goes, I have thought the same thing about having 2 beds. As it stands now, if one of us has a bad night, it's off to the guest room.

hellokitty
11-24-2009, 10:13 PM
If we had a king sized bed, we'd co-sleep more. DS1 was in our room for 6 wks and DH basically said he'd had enough of it (that irritated me, seeing how he wasn't getting up AT ALL to change or nurse the baby, *I* was, so I don't know what he was complaining about), DS2 hated sleeping with us and was in his own room by the end of wk 1, but I usually fell asleep in his room in the lounge chair while nursing him at night. DS3 was in our room for 12 wks, BUT had he not outgrown the co-sleeper I probably would have let him sleep longer in our room.

maestramommy
11-24-2009, 10:38 PM
It's hard to vote in the poll because it's so black and white. We don't cosleep with our kids, but that doesn't mean we've never done it, kwim? We've coslept with all 3 of them in their itty bitty baby stage. We just haven't done it beyond that.

ett
11-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Never co-slept with either kids. Though DS2 is regularly waking up at 4:45am now and wanting to sleep with me until morning.

gobadgers
11-24-2009, 11:14 PM
I don't think we ever co-slept with DD, other than a few hours in the morning on a handful of days. DH and I were both too nervous.

With DS, he slept in our bed until about 4.5 months, then we moved him to his own crib in his own room. He's been sleeping through the night for a few nights in a row, at 6 months (knock on wood), so hopefully we'll still be getting some rest this way.

Sometimes I think it'd be nice to still be cuddling with the kiddos, but I know that both DH and I need the space in the evenings. It saves our sanity to be able to watch a little TV and talk about our days before bed. It's just what works for us.

Clarity
11-24-2009, 11:20 PM
I have co-slept with both my children at different phases and for different reasons. I generally have a "sleep in their own room until after 4a.m." type system. Where they are put to bed in their respective rooms but if they awake anytime after 4a.m. they are welcome to finish out the night with us.
We co-slept more regularly with dd2 because of her eczema and itching. The only way I could keep her from scratching was to lay beside her with her arm under my own. I will say that the months dd2 slept with us on a regular basis were the most restless of my life. My body contorted in ways I didn't know possible to accomodate her.

mommyp
11-24-2009, 11:32 PM
I voted as infant only (so far...). That was completely for nursing at night, it was great. We had the co-sleeper at first, then moved her to her own room after about 3 months. She'd fall asleep in her crib, and then when she woke up, DH would get her and bring her to our bed and we'd often fall back asleep together. Now she *loves* her crib, and hasn't tried to get out yet, so not replacing it with a toddler bed any time soon I hope.

blisstwins
11-25-2009, 12:30 AM
We pretty much coslept until our twins were about 3. Noe they start intheir own beds, but end up with us by about 5am. I like it actually. Cuddles are wonderful.

Nooknookmom
11-25-2009, 12:52 AM
I co-sleep from the day they come home until ???? I can toss out a gagillion reasons why:

I have a HUGE fear of SIDS and just have to have them close so I can check them all the time.

Also w/ DD2, she could not sleep anywhere w/ her severe reflux besides inclined next to me. Don't know why but it at least gave me 1.5 hrs of sleep at a time.

With DD1, I went back to work at 8 weeks pp (was on bedrest for a month due to pre-term labor) and felt horribly guilty for leaving. So I kept her very close to me when I was home.

BUT then I couldn't get her to sleep on her own! We have played musical beds around here for 14 years!!!

Somehow it works for us. I slept w/ my Mom too, so maybe it's passed down.

nov04
11-25-2009, 01:46 AM
Our goal has always been that they sleep in their own beds. We do have them in with us when they're scared or not well.

wencit
11-25-2009, 01:53 AM
I co-slept with DS1 for 10 months until it became clear that he associated the breast with sleeping and was still waking up 10-15 times a night. We finally Ferberized him at that point and moved him to his own crib.

Apparently I don't learn from my own mistakes because I'm currently co-sleeping with DS2 (4 months), although he's not nearly as bad as his big brother...yet (cross my fingers). Those first few months of constant nursing are SO HARD, and bringing the babies to bed with me is the easiest and quickest solution. With DS2 being my last child, I want to savor his babyhood as much as I can, and I'm finding myself always struggling with spoiling him vs enjoying him.

BayGirl2
11-25-2009, 02:02 AM
I need an option for something in the middle. I chose "Infants Only" (Or maybe I chose "Never", I can't even remember now because I'm too tired). We don't co-sleep at night, but as soon as DS wakes up in the morning, usually 5:30am sometimes earlier, DH brings him into the bed for me to feed. We usually fall back to sleep for a while. He came in the bed to eat more often as a newborn.

So technically, I'd consider that cosleeping, but he spends the majority of the night in his crib.

egoldber
11-25-2009, 08:19 AM
We never did with Sarah as an infant and never needed to. She was a solid sleeper after the first few weeks. With Amy I co-slept in desperation, but it was more her sleeping on my chest while I was propped up on pillows to keep her elevated for her reflux.

Sarah will occasionally come into bed with us if she is scared or worried about something.

Amy is much more of a regular visitor. ;) She will often wander into our bedroom at night or I will end up in her bed.

We have co-slept in hotels on vacation practically from Day1 because it is just simple easier for us.

kdeunc
11-25-2009, 10:10 AM
We never co-slept with the boys, even for a night. With DD, I basically moved into her room until she weaned. She nursed until 13 months, including at least twice a night. If we hadn't co-slept I would never have gotten any rest. And that is what I told everyone who questioned my sleeping with her, DH, my mother, MIL, the peditrician. If anyone else wanted to offer up their breast twice a night they got a vote! ;)

daisymommy
11-25-2009, 10:33 AM
We cosleep with our babies until they are a year old. We have an Arms Reach Co-sleeper attached to the bed, and they sleep in there or directly in our bed (back and forth between the two during the night).

I don't have a 1 yr. timeline cutoff persay, but that's just the age when they started wanted their own space, and none of us were sleeping well together anymore.

arivecchi
11-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Yay! Thanks for all the replies! Now I don't feel as weird about sleeping with my toddler. ;) DH is just wondering when DS2 will join us. :hysterical:

AnnieW625
11-25-2009, 12:48 PM
With the exception of the first two nights of DD being home from the hospital and refusing to sleep in the crib before we got a pack n play we didn't co sleep. Both DH and I agreed that co sleeping wouldn't be for us because I am such a light sleeper and we both kind of move around a lot when we are sleeping. Our solution was to sleep with the pack n play next to our bed until DD could sleep through the night.