PDA

View Full Version : Never thought it would happen to me

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
11-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Tonight I am a victim of the exploding pyrex. We'll be eating takeout tonight, and I'm only going to use metal pans from now on...

bigpassport
11-24-2009, 10:19 PM
How did it happen?!! Hope no one got hurt.

ThreeofUs
11-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Wow! Hope you are okay. What happened?

Kymberley
11-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Please explain what happened! I'm nearly all glass/pyrex so I'm a little concerned.

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
11-24-2009, 10:49 PM
nak, so sorry so brief and punctuation

i took marinated chicken out of the fridge and put into room temp pyrex, then into the oven, on broil. after a few minutes, i opened the door and flipped the chicken over, then put it back in. a minute later, i heard a big pop, and the pyrex had exploded! the sides fell off, into large pieces. the bottom was intact, but had cracks. it wasn't all together, like safety glass, it was in large chunks on the oven floor. i had heard about this happening, something about the "new" pyrex being flawed, and this not happening to older pyrex...

hth

Clarity
11-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Thank goodness it happened in the oven where it was contained. I'm really surprised that exploding pyrex isn't a bigger safety concern. I was really scared when it happened to us, glass went flying.

Wife_and_mommy
11-24-2009, 11:45 PM

i took marinated chicken out of the fridge and put into room temp pyrex, then into the oven, on broil. after a few minutes, i opened the door and flipped the chicken over, then put it back in. a minute later, i heard a big pop, and the pyrex had exploded! the sides fell off, into large pieces. the bottom was intact, but had cracks. it wasn't all together, like safety glass, it was in large chunks on the oven floor. i had heard about this happening, something about the "new" pyrex being flawed, and this not happening to older pyrex...

hth

So sorry that happened. Sounds so scary.

I don't think you're supposed to broil in glass dishes though.

twowhat?
11-25-2009, 12:04 AM
Definitely not supposed to broil in pyrex. The temp is too high and the increase in temp is too rapid. Glad everyone is OK...whew!

amldaley
11-25-2009, 12:14 AM

hth

This has happened to DH TWICE. Pyrex is not rated for broiling.

m448
11-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Yup, no broiling (although I've done it with creme brulee). I think what happened to yours is that you're not supposed to dry roast meats in pyrex without adding a little water to the bottom. The pyrex heats up but then the juices begun to run out the meat and that one drop of moisture on a dry hot pyrex means it shatters.

almostamom
11-25-2009, 12:46 AM
The things you learn at the BBB. I've broiled in Pyrex in the past. I'm going to count myself as a lucky one and discontinue that practice immediately.

Thank you!!!

Linda

klwa
11-25-2009, 07:39 AM
I've never broiled in mine, but I HAVE had it explode on me. Fixing a macarroni & cheese casserole & KERPLOOIE. Luckily in the oven. My mom had one explode after she took it out of the oven & set it on the stove top.

ETA: I had noticed a small flaw in the pyrex right before putting it in the oven. Yeah, I'm that bright, that I put a Pyrex with a flaw in the oven.... But I had been using it for years with no problems. Don't know if the flaw came from the previous time being used (stress fracture kind of deal) or if DH had done something while cleaning the dishes.

michellerw
11-25-2009, 07:42 AM
I have safely broiled in my older pyrex, but the new stuff says not to do it on the bottom. I don't know when they changed the rules, but they did at some point.

I also have Anchor glass pans/plates that are ok to broil in -- those were my mom's and are probably from the 70s if not earlier.