PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist Tips?

wildfire
11-24-2009, 10:09 PM
I have never bought anything (or sold anything) on Craigslist before. I am trying to get a Learning Tower, mainly because I want instant gratification and I don't want to pay $170ish. There have been 5 listed on Craigslist in the past week. One of them I emailed an hour after seeing the listing. Every time I get "it's been sold" or "it's just been picked up". The "It's just been picked up" is when I emailed an hour after the listing was posted! What can I do or say to make my email more appealing? It's driving me nuts that I either can't get a response or I jump on it very quickly, say I'll come by at any time, etc., and it still sells by the time the seller gets back to me.

wellyes
11-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Of course have cash, and if you're able to go pick it up quickly that helps. Urban stuff sells much faster than stuff in the boonies, so if you're just looking in the city expand your search a bit.... I drove 40 minutes to get my LT (luckily the seller was near family so I was able to make a day of it).

The fact that there were 5 recently in your area is a very good sign that there will be more. It's all about lucky timing.

My advice is to not be desperate. Remember that MOST of what's posted on Craigslist does not sell, and much of what does is sold for less than the asking price because the buyer negotiates down. Craigslist is a seller's market. You have the cash while the other person just has something they want to offload. In that environment you'll almost always get what you want with a little patience.

Melaine
11-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Hot items like TTs and LTs probably do get sold that quickly. I have had items sell that quickly. You do have to be ready with cash and ready to pick up ASAP.

I would put up an ISO ad. But ITA with pp that you are lucky to be in such a great area. We NEVER get Learning Towers on our CL. NEVER.

wildfire
11-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Maybe I will go ahead with an ISO ad. I was going to this morning when one popped up, so I'm waiting to hear back from the seller. I'm more than willing to pay cash and pick it up the next day (or whenever convenient for them), but I don't even get a response half the time! I want them to want to sell to ME and not to someone else, so maybe I will add in to my response that I will pay cash, yada yada yada.

I'm hoping that more will show up. I'm sure people are unloading to make room in their house before the holidays.

jhmom
11-25-2009, 01:10 AM
For an item that's high in demand, I have to admit I have sometimes put "pick me, pick me" in the email title after I put the name of the item. I have had someone tell me I technically wasn't the first email, but she liked my fun attitude.

I am always super nice in the email and mention we have a truck for pick up or anything else that will make me seem more appealing to the seller.

Good luck! Craigslist really is all about the timing!

Kerri

ourbabygirl
11-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Yeah, totally do an ISO! That's what I did this summer in looking for a LT for DD (they RARELY come up on our CL). I posted it, and the next day or so I got a response back... granted, I drove about 50 minutes each way to pick it up, but I got it for $100 and it was all assembled and in almost new condition, and the seller even met me at a gas station when I couldn't find her house! And she put it in my car for me!

Good luck!

Bryan mom
11-25-2009, 01:09 PM
If the seller listed a cell number, call and plead how much you want that item and what it means to you or your DC.

I sold to a person who was not technically the first call or offer, but decided to deal with her because she really wanted the item and does not sound like she would back out of the deal.