PDA

View Full Version : Feeling overwhelmed with rug selection

Hippoharbor
11-24-2009, 11:30 PM
I posted the other day about wool rugs and shedding. I have decided against a wool rug and have spent hours today looking online for a nice and affordable area rug. Have any of you bought any rugs recently online and can point me in right direction. I have no idea what type of material (other than wool) to choose. I want 8' x10' or 9' x12' and have black/dark furniture. Any suggestions, please???!!!

Michelle

wellyes
11-25-2009, 07:24 AM
I don't think you can really buy a rug online without some risks of its pattern/colors being 'off' when you see it in person.

I'd try your local furniture store, Lowe's/Home Depot and, if you have one, IKEA for a decent-quality, affordable area rug.

TwinFoxes
11-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Overstock.com has a lot of rugs, and the reviews usually talk about how true the colors are. Right now it's $1 shipping.

Do you live in a big city? Macy's actually has a lot of rugs, and they're often on sale. We got our living room rug there and it's nice, held up well to our dogs and Mr. Spill-y (my DH). Ikea rugs are OK, but the selection is small...but if you find one you like they're pretty inexpensive.

Do you have an accent color? I would get a rug that contained the accent color.

Hippoharbor
11-26-2009, 09:38 AM
I might check Macy's out on BF to see if any great deals.

Thanks,
Michelle

TamiRuns
11-26-2009, 02:36 PM
I feel your frustration....I spent about 2-3 months looking on-line for the perfect area rug. I don't have the time or energy to take my 2 boys rug shopping so I had to shop on-line. I found what I liked on the Target website but of course it wasn't available in stores. I actually did a search and found the same rug for about $150 less on the Home Decorators website. And I think I may have gotten free shipping too.

I read the reviews before purchasing and that helped me make a decision....it's tough though when you can't actually see it. I got lucky and love my choice....

Good luck!

ShanaMama
11-26-2009, 07:29 PM
I feel your frustration....I spent about 2-3 months looking on-line for the perfect area rug. I don't have the time or energy to take my 2 boys rug shopping so I had to shop on-line. I found what I liked on the Target website but of course it wasn't available in stores. I actually did a search and found the same rug for about $150 less on the Home Decorators website. And I think I may have gotten free shipping too.

I read the reviews before purchasing and that helped me make a decision....it's tough though when you can't actually see it. I got lucky and love my choice....

Good luck!

Tami, welcome to the boards! Your DH is definitely memorable as one of the few dads on here. Nice to 'meet' the mom!

OP- thanks for this thread. I was following your other thread cuz I'm looking for a rug, too. I'm really never out shoppingwithout my kids, so rug shopping IRL is tricky. Have you tried Bed Bath @ Beyond? Theyhave nice rugs, although they aren't cheap. I needs to add rugs to my BF list!

TamiRuns
11-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Tami, welcome to the boards! Your DH is definitely memorable as one of the few dads on here. Nice to 'meet' the mom!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I actually was a member years ago - BC (before children) - and introduced DH to this board...he obviously became much more active than I ever was. I had to start fresh - I couldn't even remember my username from all those years ago.

Hippoharbor
11-26-2009, 09:59 PM
I had no idea Bed, Bath & Beyond carried rugs. I am second-guessing myself to go to Macy's on BF to look for rugs. I need to get a rug soon to replace old one b/c my dogs are making too many scratches on wood floor.

Michelle

smilequeen
11-26-2009, 11:50 PM
I can't vouch for the prices, but I drive past Amini's (Chesterfield Valley) everyday and they have been having huge sales. I know they have quite a few rugs in there. (this is assuming your UN means we live in the same place :))

TwinFoxes
11-27-2009, 04:29 AM
I had no idea Bed, Bath & Beyond carried rugs. I am second-guessing myself to go to Macy's on BF to look for rugs. I need to get a rug soon to replace old one b/c my dogs are making too many scratches on wood floor.

Michelle

I didn't know BBB carries rugs either. Maybe not all of them do? I'm trying to think where they might be in our local store.

You might try looking online at Macys selection, I *think* you can find them by zip code, so if you see one you like you'll know if it's available near you.