PDA

View Full Version : S/O What kind of eaters are your kids

hillview
11-24-2009, 11:31 PM
In YOUR opinion. What kind of eaters are your kids. I made it so you can vote for more than 1 if you have kids who are different eater types.
/hillary

hillview
11-24-2009, 11:35 PM
I voted Omnivore DS #1 -- always wants to try new things although there are meals where he "hates xyz" it is usually a phase. And mostly Omnivore DS #2 will eat most things but doesn't care for veggies except peas and prefers protein over anything else; he does eat mostly what I serve.
/hillary

Clarity
11-24-2009, 11:41 PM
DD1 eats nearly everything, I'm so thrilled about that. She'll "take a bite" of anything without argument. At preschool, they asked her what she was thankful for and she said "candy and broccoli". LOL (They asked her a mere week after Halloween so candy was still at the forefront of her 3yr old brain!)
DD2 has food allergies so there is a lot she cannot eat, but at 14 months there is nothing I've offered that she has refused to eat. The jury is still out on her, but I have hope she'll stay as open minded as her sister.

jenny
11-24-2009, 11:49 PM
DD is a crazy picky eater and it's driving me nuts. I was mildly encouraged in the other picky eater thread when a mama said that her brother grew up on fried eggs, white rice and pizza and is fine because that's basically what DD eats (minus the pizza). She's not into pizza much, or at least only likes the crust.

Foods DD will eat:
white rice
salted dried seaweed, a.k.a. nori
rice and soup
cheese
everything bagel with butter
TJ's strawberry bar
rice cakes
scrambled eggs
rice with curry and potatoes, but no peas or carrots
TJ's turkey meatballs
Tofu

I'm not terribly worried about her eating because she is 90 percent in height and weight. But I do wish she would eat veggies. Heck, I'd be happy if she liked chicken nuggets.

egoldber
11-24-2009, 11:53 PM
Amy is an omnivore. Sarah is extremely particular.

Wife_and_mommy
11-24-2009, 11:53 PM
My ds has a list of things that he eats: most fruits except bananas(right now it's apples), bread, sunbutter, eggs, yogurt, Taquitos, flavored milk

He won't even try most other foods.

My DD was almost identical at his age and now really enjoys trying new foods and actually likes most of them.

I'm hopeful DS will come around as he gets older.

kransden
11-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Dd will eat almost anything as long as it's not too spicy hot i.e. some Indian or Mexican foods.

WatchingThemGrow
11-24-2009, 11:59 PM
DD - all breads, all dairy
DS1 - all protiens, most vegetables (one kernel at a time), preference given to pork products
DS2 - just quit nursing :(, trying amoxicillin, Gentlease, moving on to rice cereal for Thanksgiving.

I always laugh because every single meal, I make a nicely balanced menu. She eats the bread and cheese, while he eats the meat and veg. They will sit there for 5 minutes looking at the plates with their leftovers. I can switch their plates and they chow on one another's leftovers. It is nuts.

Both my favorite kids' food = SCP (Sam's Club Pizza). They ask why we go get gas sometimes at their favorite pizza place.

m448
11-25-2009, 12:00 AM
My kids all ate anything and everything as long as it was on my plate until the age of 3. We're talking all sorts of weird adultish stuff. Then both older boys hit a stage at three that certain flavors were too strong and certain textures that were familiar were yucky. With my oldest we just rode it out. If he didn't want the onions in his meal I told him he was welcome to take them out but I didn't willingly put onions in his salad for example. He came around at four back to his open eating and now at 6 he's all about the trying something new since I tend to be adventurous with my own meals. My second is just coming around the bend from that stage at almost four and the baby will eat anything that's not bolted down at 14 months. LOL

KpbS
11-25-2009, 12:00 AM
Lots and lots of food allergies here. I wish my kids had the opportunity to eat "normal" foods. Maybe one day.

infocrazy
11-25-2009, 12:03 AM
I've got the two extremes.

DS1 used to be more adventurous but now is pretty specific about what he eats. He eats a pretty wide variety though so like in the other thread, I don't think he is picky about WHAT he eats, just HOW. For example, he loves noodles but no sauce. Likes cheese but don't put it on anything! He isn't always the greatest about trying new things.

DS2 will try anything and will keep trying it even if he doesn't like it. There are very few things he doesn't like...in fact the best way to have him try something, is to tell him he doesn't like it and he INSISTS you are wrong! But he actually did start loving things he didn't like the first time, bell peppers for example.

I am terribly picky both in what and how I eat. I'm also a can't touch, eat in order type person. I am desperately trying to break the cycle but I can't really get annoyed if the apple doesn't fall far from this tree...

MontrealMum
11-25-2009, 12:26 AM
Honestly, I don't know how to vote. Though I suspect I should check "very specific". And yes, I know that he gets this from me :) Though he eats a wider range of foods than 3 out of 4 of his grandparents, and many of my friends!

DS eats most fruits, veggies, and mild cheeses (cheddar, colby, goat, and cream cheese). He especially likes olives. For the most part he does not eat meat but does like pate and the Swedish fish in a tube from Ikea; he apparantly inherited the love of liver and onions from my mother. He will willingly eat vegetarian staples like bean/chickpea salad, cous cous, and hummous.

He likes most grains/crackers/bread products, and things w/o icing (as in, he'll eat cookies, brownies and muffins, but not cake). He likes chocoloate pudding, applesauce, and vegan choc. mousse as well as fruit and pumpkin pies. He has been known to grab a peeled yam or sweet potato and take a chomp out of it!

He eats Mexican, Indian, Thai and Chinese - mostly off my plate - picking around the meat :) He's recently started grabbing for my sushi. He also likes some pasta, and pizza is his favorite food. He's been eating scrambled eggs since I was first allowed to give them to him, and apparently he also likes egg salad sandwiches (acc. to his teacher). I learned about fritattas here :) He waffles between liking grilled cheese and toast with jam or apple butter.

He drinks water and milk (at daycare), but won't try juice (I tried recently when he was sick).

Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to know *which* of these foods he's going to want on any given day, so mealtimes around here can be very exhausting. He drives his poor daycare teacher nuts as she's quite traditional and can't quite comprehend a life w/o meat or a water-only meal.

He's been showing an interest in "cooking", starting with cookies and more recently with making homemade pizza. So, I'm hoping to use this to get him to eat a wider range from his repertoire more consistently. I try to discourage the eating of crayons and play-doh, and indiscriminate dried-out things from the floor.

maestramommy
11-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Dora and Arwyn are mostly omnivore, but they each have foods they don't want to eat, just not the same ones. But Dora has gotten hungrier since school started, so she will more willingly eat at least one bite of everything.

I have to say the other thread about defining picky eaters is a little funny. Don't we, as grownups have our own preferences of what we like and don't like? Or have preferred ways of preparing food? We just have all the control, since we decide what foods come into the house. Our kids don't. So the only way they exercise some control is to decide whether or not they will eat it.

hellokitty
11-25-2009, 09:15 AM
My kids are probably pretty open about trying new foods compared to other kids and think that the stuff in Andrew Zimmer's show is pretty cool too. However, if they are not eating a food that they are really crazy about it takes them FOREVER to eat it. I'm actually shocked if my kids eat their food in a timely manner. My mom tells me this is payback, b/c my brothers and I were not only picky, but also very S-L-O-W eaters. However, my parents were the type of ppl that made us sit there (for hours) until we finished EVERYTHING on our plate.

carolinamama
11-25-2009, 09:26 AM
I have an eater who will eat almost anything - atleast for one bite! He doesn't like kid foods, but loves caesar salad, broccoli, spinach, and lots of other things not usually eaten easily by kids. My DS2 is already picky and just isn't much of an eater. He would live on crackers and milk if we let him.

Puddy73
11-25-2009, 09:29 AM
DD1 will at least try most foods, but DS is VERY picky. He would happily live on milk and peanut butter sandwiches. DD2 doesn't really eat much yet, but unfortunately she seems to be leaning toward the picky side.

lizzywednesday
11-25-2009, 09:35 AM
DD is a crazy picky eater and it's driving me nuts. I was mildly encouraged in the other picky eater thread when a mama said that her brother grew up on fried eggs, white rice and pizza and is fine because that's basically what DD eats (minus the pizza). She's not into pizza much, or at least only likes the crust.

I'm not terribly worried about her eating because she is 90 percent in height and weight. But I do wish she would eat veggies. Heck, I'd be happy if she liked chicken nuggets.

She IS getting a vegetable - NORI! It's a good veggie, too.

Lots of kids won't even consider nori! (Heck, lots of ADULTS won't even consider nori!)

And potatoes aren't as bad as everyone thinks.

Besides, nobody's as picky an eater as DH's older brother. Not even my ultra-picky sister, who I tease mercilessly about her food phobias, is as picky as my BIL. (I fear it's rubbed off on his kids, which is sad, so I've been slowly encouraging DH to eat more fearlessly so it doesn't rub off on OUR kids. So far, so good, though I wish he'd eat collard greens with me!)

m448
11-25-2009, 09:43 AM

Foods DD will eat:
white rice
salted dried seaweed, a.k.a. nori
rice and soup
cheese
everything bagel with butter
TJ's strawberry bar
rice cakes
scrambled eggs
rice with curry and potatoes, but no peas or carrots
TJ's turkey meatballs
Tofu

That was my little brother and that's literally what he ate for most of his formative years. It took going away to college, visiting the homes of his buddies (because he knows better than to be rude ;) ) and taking a nutrition course that had him cooking but he's actually eating more than junk food now. (because as a highschool and colllege football player he would load up on the junk)

LarsMal
11-25-2009, 11:50 AM
I voted other because of the food allergy issues in our house. My kids (well DS) can't eat just anything, so I'm limited in what I can give him in the first place.

Overall, I think they are pretty good eaters. They eat most veggies- except carrots, they both HATE carrots!

We have a fairly limited menu around here, but what I do offer them they seem to eat. Not sure what category to put that in!

AnnieW625
11-25-2009, 12:33 PM
I picked kid foods and other.

If you ask DD her favorite foods she'll tell you it's either: Peanut Butter N Jelly sandwich, spaghetti (the only way she will eat beef), or bean and cheese burrito. Mac N Cheese, chicken nuggets, and cheese pizza are also often asked for. Sometimes she is okay with cassroles like enchilada or something that has noodles like lasagne or tetrazini. Applesauce, cheese, and yogurt are also staples.

At daycare DD eats whatever she is served and usually includes pasta, chicken, potatoes, veggies, fruit (DD loves fruit!:)), and every so often a treat like pepperoni pizza. Our DCP goes over the top to provide healthy meals and I think that is soo wonderful.

DD doesn't care for hot dogs, sausage, deli meat, ham, and most meats. She has eaten turkey, and pork in the past, but not on a regular basis. I don't fight her on this and I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up being a pescatarian (she loves fish tacos), only eats fish and chicken, or becomes a vegetarian. This doesn't bother me one bit.