PDA

View Full Version : Rec to see snow but not ski with little kids?

Octobermommy
11-25-2009, 12:40 AM
We want to go see snow as it won't snow where we are but we won't be skiing with the kiddos. Any recs for somewhere that has fun, nice things for kids to do? Sleigh/sled rides, etc. Kids are 5,2 and 3 months in January or February.

TIA!

rlu
11-30-2009, 03:18 PM
What part of the country are you asking about? I don't have snow where I live, but can all kinds of things to do in Tahoe.

DH and I did a sleigh ride at Jackson Hole, WY years ago.

Octobermommy
12-22-2009, 11:58 AM
We can do almost anything as we are centrally located but we want to do it on a budget.

lizzywednesday
12-24-2009, 11:46 AM
"Centrally located" can be anywhere; the USA is big!

If you're closer to the East Coast, I have friends who recommend the Poconos in PA. There are a lot of family resorts that can be done on the cheap ... plus we just got a bunch of snow!

IDK about anywhere else ... I would recommend the state parks in my hometown in NJ, but there's not many places to stay and they get old quickly. (My friends & I used to go sledding at Skylands Manor and Ringwood Manor when I was little. My BFF and I also used to sled at the middle school up the road from her house, but you'd have to know the area to understand how to get there! And, again, it'd get real old real fast.)

Octobermommy
12-29-2009, 12:55 AM
We are closer to Colorado, Utah etc than Jersey for sure. I am going to see if any deals can be had. We don't HAVE to go but it would be nice.

StantonHyde
01-02-2010, 10:21 PM
There are a couple of ways to do this on a budget in Salt Lake City. There will be plenty of snow here in Jan/Feb. Stay at suites hotel (or check out condos on VRBO) and go sledding in the parks, drive up the canyons, snowshoe/walk/cross country ski in Millcreek Canyon. There are lots of museums for kids and plenty to do inside. We usually can do 1-2 hours outside sledding (just went today).

Staying at the ski resorts is expensive, but staying in town should be less expensive. You could still check out the Ski Utah site for hotel deals. I think Fun Jet vacations has vacation packages to Salt Lake. You will need to rent a car to get around.

hillview
01-03-2010, 12:03 PM
My house today ;)
/hillary

Octobermommy
01-03-2010, 04:05 PM
My house today ;)
/hillary

We will be there at 6 then, what's for dinner? ; )