PDA

View Full Version : registry ideas beyond the essentials?

boogiemomz
11-25-2009, 01:20 AM
my baby girl was born last week :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat: and lots of people are asking for my registry. we already have all the essentials, but didn't get many "extra" things that weren't absolutely necessary. i am wondering what you found really useful or your DC really enjoyed that is not a necessity but you are really glad you have. i was thinking about a bottle warmer but have heard mixed reviews of these. but any suggestions of things in this category would be much appreciated.

by the way i am SO HAPPY to be joining the community as a mom for the first time!!! my heart just bursts with love for my little girl... motherhood is amazing!

wencit
11-25-2009, 01:44 AM
Congratulations on your new baby girl! Do you have a carrier of some sort? Some people would actually call it an "essential" LOL, but I found my sling invaluable in the first couple of months. Now that my baby is a little older and has decent head control, I am loving my Ergo.

Also, being the germophobe that I am and considering it's cold/flu/H1N1 season, I'm really glad I have a shopping cart cover.

That's all I can think of for now. Congratulations again!

Andi98989
11-25-2009, 05:47 AM
I'm really glad to have our playmat already - DS loves to lay on it and look at everything on it. We've also got a little stand up mirror thing that we'll sit next to him when he's on it and he loves to look at himself in that.

http://www.amazon.com/Sassy-Me-In-The-Mirror/dp/B000069670

Other things that I've gone out to get:
Baby OxiClean (my friends swear by it)
Lansinoh breast milk storage bags
Quick Clean Wipes for breast pump
Brush and comb set
Bottle brush

MoJo
11-25-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm going to echo the playmat and the shopping cart cover. Our playmat was used several times a day for those first months. Your daughter won't be able to use the cover until she can sit up, but they are wonderful after that. I like mine so much I bought a second one to have in case I happened to have the other car. I'm perfectly happy with the Eddie Bauer one at Target, but I know other moms here have other preferences.

We've also enjoyed having the Fisher Price seahorse that plays music, a soft mirror for the baby to see herself in, board books for when she's a little older, maybe some bigger size clothing and shoes if you don't yet have them for her to grow into.

Do you have plenty of diapers in various sizes? A good first aid kit? A highchair for when she's a little older? Good blankets? A mirror for the car, so you can see what she's doing while you're driving? First bowls/utensils/bottles/sippy cups for when she is starting solid food? A place for her to sleep if you spend the night with relatives?

I'm so glad you're enjoying your LO! And IME, it keeps getting better and better. Have fun!

carolinamama
11-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Miracle Blanket
Swaddle Designs Blanket
Ergo
Sling
Breast pump, bags, pads if you are bfing
Gift certs to local photo place you like
Baby activity mat

ETA Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl! Enjoy being a new mommy!

sunshine873
11-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Congratulations on joining the mommy club! :cheerleader1:

First of all - I'd recommend not getting a bottle warmer. If you can, try to get your DD to drink room-temp bottles. You'll appreciate it down the road when you're out & about (think middle of the park or shopping mall.)

As for things that you might want,
I started putting DD on her playmat/floor gym when she was about 5 months old (so 2 months size/developmentally for my preemie.) Now she's 10 months old and still loves that thing. It's the best $$ I've spent! The thing that she kicks to make it light up and make noise has been a great learning tool and super entertainment for her. http://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Love-Kick-Discover-Gymini/dp/B001IEJKSK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1259157818&sr=8-4

A bouncy seat (with vibration) was wonderful for those early months, and my DD still isn't crawling yet, so I can still put her in it for short periods. I have the fisher price aquarium one - she would stare at the bubbling water thing forever!

I also love, love, love Aden & Anais muslin swaddling blankets. They're much larger than receiving blankets (which babies get too big to swaddle in very quickly.) I also love that they're lightweight yet warm. They're breathable for the summertime and easy to pack in a diaper bag.

jhrabosk
11-25-2009, 12:28 PM
ITA about getting baby to take room temp bottles! However, someone bought me a warmer and I did find it useful at night. We had one with a cooler attached...we put two bottles in there before we went to bed, warmed one while changing the diaper (just enough to take the chill off), and saved ourselves the trip downstairs to the kitchen in the middle of the night.

AnnieW625
11-25-2009, 01:51 PM
A jogger if you didn't already get one. I would've been lost without mine. I would honestly just tell people diapers, and wipes. I know it's not original but you will always use those. Also I love the Gerber pre fold diapers because they are good for everything. A play time mat.

brittone2
11-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Miracle Blanket
Swaddle Designs Blanket
Ergo
Sling
Breast pump, bags, pads if you are bfing
Gift certs to local photo place you like
Baby activity mat

ETA Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl! Enjoy being a new mommy!

Those would pretty much be my suggestions. Many brick and mortar stores that are big chains don't always carry slings, etc. though, so maybe you can point them toward an online link or set up one of those online registries that you can put items on from any website?