PDA

View Full Version : crib wedge...reflux...sleep deprived...help!

Melarina
11-25-2009, 06:01 AM
If you read my other posts about the Amby Baby motion bed situation, you know that DS after months of poor sleep and open heart surgery four weeks ago finally slept well in the Amby bed -- five to six hour stretches last week -- and then we discovered the terrible stories about the Amby and the company disappeared. So we packed that thing away. DS is on Lasix and Zegerid. He had been doing so much better until we had to get rid of the Amby. It is just devastating...but I know it is nothing compared to how horrible it would be if something happened to him in an unsafe bed.

Now we are trying once again to find something that works for DS at night. It is not going too well.

We have tried inclining the crib but he rolls down. When we did the "nest" thing with blankets in a U shape he would roll down that too -- I don't want to make the blankets too high and have his face pressed up against that.

We bought the slim wedge available at BRU but it really isn't much of an incline.

I know he misses the motion of the Amby but I am too concerned about hammock safety after this experience to buy any of the others on the market (i.e. Arm's Reach Cocoon.)

I'm interested in the Tucker wedge but can't imagine DS sleeping well suspended like that.

Has anyone used the RES-Q wedge?

The Nap Nanny is interesting but it seems that the language on the website does not say it is approved for night-time sleep, just naps and feeding and play...

Has anyone used this Fisher Price bed? http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2011&e=detail&selcat=bgb&pid=51903

It says to use until child can pull up or sit unassisted...I am wondering how long this thing would be useful for us as DS is almost 4 months.

Any help would be so much appreciated. I have slept maybe an hour tonight and (TMI I know :) haven't showered since Sunday. We are getting desperate and crazy.

bnme
11-25-2009, 07:23 AM
:grouphug:
So sorry you are going through this. I have no experience with reflux and this is probably not something everyone would be comfortable with, but when when DS's were infants we went through periods where they would sleep all or part of the night in the FP cradle swing. The thing is that it is not a great long term solution because there is a weight limit. We only did it on a few rough nights early on. But my older DS did nap in it until he was too big for it. It was the only place he would nap.

I hope you find a solution and get some rest.

KHF
11-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Our 11 month old has slept in the FP Newborn to Toddler Rocker off and on for several months. Early on it was because of reflux. Now it's because he's moving around a lot, sitting up, learning to stand...then he gets mad and won't lay back down to go to sleep. The rocker is the only thing that's saved our sanity.

This is the one we have:
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-K5502-Newborn-To-Toddler-Rocker/dp/B000JNP0F8

Just remove the toy bar. It also has a vibrate feature that DS has liked to help him sleep. It can be rocked back, propped on legs and the back can be lowered to adjust the incline.

As with any stationary type bed, seat, etc. Watch for flat spots developing. DS is pretty much past that stage now, but early on I watched closely. DD had to wear a helmet for plagiocephaly caused by congenital torticollis, so I'm probably more vigilant about that than most people.

lilycat88
11-25-2009, 09:06 AM
We used one of these

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GKBG32/ref=asc_df_B002GKBG32970577?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B002GKBG32

You can get them at Bed Bath and Beyond type places as well. It's not as angled as the Tucker wedge but more than the little ones at baby stores. It worked for us. It fit in our crib with a little gap (inch or so) on either side that we just put blankets in. It's not perfect but did allow DD to get some sleep and it was relatively inexpensive to try. She still uses it in her bed when she has a lot of congestion. She'll ask for her "cough pillow".

kbud
11-25-2009, 12:16 PM
My DD#1 was a severe refluxer. She slept in her carseat, strapped into it and placed in her crib until she was 9-10 months old. They say not to do that either but I felt fine with it as long as she was securely strapped in. It worked for us. I had to get sleep, she was up every 30 min otherwise so I felt it was the best alternative. She also aspirated once while sleeping on her back. That scared my to death so I didn't feel her sleeping on her back was safe either.

Good luck I know how hard it is. Neither of my girls slept through the night until they were over 2! I feel your pain.

happymom
11-25-2009, 01:11 PM
:grouphug:
So sorry you are going through this. I have no experience with reflux and this is probably not something everyone would be comfortable with, but when when DS's were infants we went through periods where they would sleep all or part of the night in the FP cradle swing. The thing is that it is not a great long term solution because there is a weight limit. We only did it on a few rough nights early on. But my older DS did nap in it until he was too big for it. It was the only place he would nap.

I hope you find a solution and get some rest.

Yup, my DD slept in the FP cradle swing until she was about 4 months old- and she slept through the night that way!! At the time, I asked my pediatrician if it was ok, and he said as long as her head isnt tilted, its fine. Of course he didnt really recommend it for the long term, but you do what you gotta do! You need to sleep!

elephantmeg
11-25-2009, 02:40 PM
my DD was younger when we had issues and she slept either in her FP cradle swing or this
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7732464

I loved the boppy bounce because I could make it bounce a little and it held her head up and it had vibrate and a heartbeat sound. She was a reflux baby too but did great on prevacid. I'm not as familiar with zegarid but I do remember that you said that he had gained weight pretty quickly post surgery-could he need a larger dose? Might that help? I know DD outgrew her doses pretty fast some times.

sunriseiz
11-25-2009, 03:35 PM
pak...we used 2 'bed elevators' from bed bath and beyond under the 2 legs aty the head of the bed. helped a lot. also he slept on his side...think that helped too. good luck!

ThreeofUs
11-25-2009, 04:03 PM
I've heard the Tucker solution really, really works - but never had it. We had the Amby bed, lol, and otherwise DS1 slept on us.

May you find a good solution soon! Hugs to you all.

Melarina
11-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi everyone, thanks so much for the advice.

I went out and got the new Fisher-Price sleeper as it was at BRU and was the quickest solution I could find -- it's like an infant seat with a good recline but is OK to use overnight...and DS is snoozing in it as I type this. We'll see how it goes.

For those who used wedges in cribs -- how did you keep the baby from sliding down the wedge?

Thanks again for all the support.

KHF
11-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Wow, I wish they'd had that when DS was a newborn!! I looked for something exactly like that, but couldn't find anything. That's why we used the Newborn to Toddler rocker. It wouldn't do us any good now as my chunky boy is past the weight limit, but it would've been nice! Thankfully, the rocker has a 40 pound weight limit.

Melarina
11-28-2009, 06:48 AM
DS slept seven and a half hours - 9:30 pm to 5 am - in his new FP sleeper -- whoo hoo!!!

KpbS
11-28-2009, 10:27 AM
So glad you found something for him! We used the rocker like the PP(s). :hug: