PDA

View Full Version : Will it freak our girls out to go to our former, now empty house?

TwinFoxes
11-25-2009, 07:29 AM
So we finally moved (yay!) But since our new house is only a few miles from our old house, and we have the lease through December, we still have some stuff there. I'm thinking of going back and getting some of it today. But I'm wondering if it will freak the girls out to walk into their house and all of our stuff is gone. I hate that house, but to them it's home, I'm sure they're wondering what this new place we've been hanging out in is. What do you think, will they be freaked? My DH went back after we had moved our stuff, and he said it was a little sad for him...

Their play kitchen is still there, and their ride on zebra, which might add to the freakiness. Maybe I'm over thinking? :confused:

carolinamama
11-25-2009, 08:39 AM
If you go, I would prepare them for what they will see and make sure you really talk up your new house with all their belongings as being home. When we moved last year, it upset DS so much more than I imagined when we packed up all of our stuff (he only saw a portion of this as he spent most of that time with my parents). But when we got to our new house and he discovered that his bed and toys were there, along with his family, it was smooth sailing. We have driven by our old house but not gone inside. At first he would mention that he wanted to live there but not in a really upset way. It passed quickly though.

I just noticed the age of your kids - seriously I doubt it would bother them. They are at a simple age and will probably feel okay as long as you are with them. But YMMV of course.

m4nash
11-25-2009, 10:13 AM
I think your girls will be fine. I wouldn't worry about it, especially since they are so young and know where their stuff is already.

We moved cross country when my older son was the same age as your girls. The movers came and packed up all of our stuff over a couple days while we were in and out. We stayed at friend's house through dinner the last night we were there and came back to our empty house to spend the night before heading to the airport the next morning. My son was a little sad when we got back that night, but he didn't cry or get upset. He was just really quiet and concerned seeming. We didn't get our stuff delivered to us for a couple months when we moved out of corporate housing. He was so excited when we got his toys and his bed back, but he never complained while we didn't have his stuff.

Now, when we moved across town when he was 2.5 years old he was sad to move and let us know it.

KpbS
11-25-2009, 10:33 AM
When we moved and DS1 was 14 months he thought it was hilarious to run through our recently emptied house. I figured it might confuse him but he was as happy as a clam.

With you girls being older and some of their toys still there, I would explain that you are bringing the toys to the new house (you are, aren't you?) and they will see them again there. That would be my only concern--that they would think that the toys are staying w/ the empty house.

I always feel sad when moving to a new house. Sometimes just a little, sometimes a lot.

Octobermommy
11-25-2009, 10:38 AM
We took our 20 month old & 4 yr old to our empty house & it was no big deal. Hth

vonfirmath
11-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Both times we have moved, (at 13 months, then again at 24 months) my son has freaked when in the old empty house, and had to be soothed that we were there, so the stuff wasn't a big deal. And then happy once he got to the new place and saw the old familiar stuff.

TwinFoxes
11-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks for all of your advice. I'm hoping they like running around the empty house. Their toys will definitely be coming to our new place, they just didn't make the trip yet. :) This age is hard for me, because sometimes they seem to really be aware of things I wouldn't expect them to notice. But other times they just seem to not really know or care what's going on outside of their immediate sphere.

hillview
11-25-2009, 12:28 PM
It would upset my 4 year old but not my 2 year old. My 4 year old has always been more likely to get upset at things like that.
/hillary

bluestar2
11-25-2009, 12:30 PM