PDA

View Full Version : Alex Toys The Amazing Knitter

egoldber
11-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Has anyone seen this at an actual store?

http://www.alextoys.com/product/132740/391W/_/The_Amazing_Knitter

Thanks!

lizzywednesday
11-25-2009, 11:41 AM
I have seen similar products at Michael's and Rag Shop ... it's effectively a "knitting nellie" and it's a fun, if time-consuming, project.

I had one as part of a crafts kit from American Girl, back when it was still Pleasant Company, and it was a Molly-themed craft where you followed the instructions to knit a "snake" using multicolored yarn and then stitched it into a cute little pompon hat for Molly .... but, of course, you could modify the pattern so you could make something to fit your own head! (Or you could make potholders, rugs, etc., with a long enough "snake.")

About 4 years ago, I found plain ones with few instructions in Rag Shop ... and then worked with my brothers to scan my instructions booklet and assemble the whole shebang as gifts for my cousins Nora & Sarah, who were 12 and 10 at the time - just about the age I was when I received my kid!

egoldber
11-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Yes, there are lots of varitations on the knitting spool/nancy/nellie....it has a lot of names. I am now officially obsessed with these things LOL and have decided that this is THE one that I want for various reasons.

Of course, I can now only find it in exactly ONE on-line place. I would like to be able to find it IRL though.

lizzywednesday
11-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Yes, there are lots of varitations on the knitting spool/nancy/nellie....it has a lot of names. I am now officially obsessed with these things LOL and have decided that this is THE one that I want for various reasons.

Of course, I can now only find it in exactly ONE on-line place. I would like to be able to find it IRL though.

Have you tried Michael's or Joann or Rag Shop or a similar store yet?

I don't know if I have seen this brand specifically, but I know I have seen a lot of kits, many directed at kids, while I was looking for the nellies for my cousins. (I wanted them to have the same kind of experience I had as a kid which is why I was so particular about theirs.)