PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new front loading W/D - need advice!

firsttimemommy
11-25-2009, 12:25 PM
I was surprised to see so many great Black Friday deals on front loading washer and dryer units. I've always wanted a larger capacity washer - one brand says that you can put 22 bath towels in a load - I can't get 6 in my current washer! I also have always wanted the "steam" feature as there are many items I don't want to put in the heat of a traditional dryer and don't want to iron!

So DH bravely offered to try to go get me a set Friday morning (now that IS love from a man who LOATHES shopping of any kind).

So in my frantic research to decide what to get I now have three issues:

**I'm reading where lots of people have smell issues (gunk build up?), repair issues (long before they should) and vibration issues. Makes me wonder if I should just keep what I have! (regular type w/d)

**do I need a pedastal or not? I was shocked to see it would cost me another $400 (at least) for a set and that is more spare money than we have. It will set on ceramic tile flooring downstairs.

**what brand to get? All are 4.0 cf for washer and 7.0-7.3 cf for dryer. The brands on sale are:

Samsung Steam Washer w/vibration reduction technology and electric steam dryer (Best Buy - $1200 for set - WAS $2400 for set)
LG - (Home Depot - $998 for set - WAS $1600 for set)
Maytag (Home Depot - $1200 for set - WAS $1800 for set)
Whilrpool HE Duet (Lowe's - $999 for set - orig price not noted in ad)
Kenmore Elite HE3t (Sears - $999 for set - WAS $1900 for set)
Samsung (Sears - $998 for set - WAS $1699 for set)
Any insight or advice would be appreciated - I want to take advantage of a deal if I can, as we cannot get a set otherwise, but I don't want to rush and make an uninformed decision, since I was NOT prepared for this!

Thank you!!!

jhrabosk
11-25-2009, 12:35 PM
I can't really offer any opinions on brand...we have a low-end Kenmore set and I'm very satisfied, but I don't know whether it reflects on the Kenmore Elite.

As for your other items though...

There can be smell issues. I keep a hand towel by the machine and dry out the gasket around the door when I'm done for the day. Keeps mold in check.

We did have one repair issue that would have been expensive. The technician offered us an extended warantee plan to buy on the spot that would cover the cost of the repair. Not sure whether or not it was kosher for him to do that, but it saved us a few hundred. We've had the machines for about 4.5 years now and that's been our only problem.

There is vibration. If it's in your basement, it really shouldn't be an issue. Mine is by our bedrooms and I just don't run it when anyone is sleeping. It's noisy, but otherwise fine.

We don't have a pedestal b/c ours are stacked, but I don't think it's necessary.

Good luck! Hope you get what you want!

crl
11-25-2009, 12:44 PM
We're on our third F/L (moves). I've been really happy with all of them. The first was a bottom of the line Kenmore that is no longer made. The second was the small Bosch (limited space) and the third, and current one, is a middle of the line Bosch. None of ours has needed repair, but we've always moved and left them behind within 2 to 3 years.

We've never had smell issues, but I've always left the washer door propped open because I know some people do have them.

We had vibration issues with the third washer on a not-very solid subfloor in our last place. It's now on tile in our new place and no problems. I think the vibration issues are mostly about the floor the machine is sitting on. Correct leveling is important too.

I've never had the pedestals and don't want them. But I also don't have back problems or any other problems bending over.

I suggest checking out the laundry forum at That Home Site at www.gardenweb.com.

Good luck!
Catherine

MommyAllison
11-25-2009, 01:44 PM
We bought a set of LG Tromms from Home Depot in February, and have been very, very happy with them. We have them in our basement, on concrete, so no issues with vibration or noise. We did get the extended warranty (we usually wouldn't) because it seems front loaders do need service more often, and LG in particular only has a few authorized repair people in our city. We do not have pedestals, and they aren't stacked - it's not a problem for me. I do leave the washer door open for 40-60 minutes after the last washer load of the day - which is about the time of the dryer cycle, so I just close the washer when I get everything out of the dryer. I really love the low energy and water usage. We do a lot (really! a LOT!) of laundry, esp since we cloth diaper, and our electricity is way lower than before, and our water bill is super low as well (like $10/month actual usage).

Good luck to your DH! Hope he gets a set for you :)

smilequeen
11-25-2009, 05:45 PM
I have LGTromms that are a few years old and we are really happy with them. I do have to make sure I dry out the door of the washer though and leave it open from time to time. Our new house had space for a w/d in our master bedroom closet. We have Bosch in there b/c there was limited space. I like my LGs more, but the Bosch is fine. Small, but works well.

If I needed a new big set now though the new Samsungs are supposed to be SOOOOO quiet. The LGs are pretty darn quiet though.

firsttimemommy
11-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks everyone! I went and looked at the Samsung and the LG's and liked them both but all things considered I thought the Samsung's were a better deal for the $$. So I plan to try to get the Samsungs on best buy online tonight at 12:01 am (the salesguy said they are going on sale a day early).....BUT they are currently listed as "in store only" so not sure what is up with that......

If the Samsungs don't work out, I'll order the LG's from Home Depot online (they are already at sale price)

And no pedastals! Thank you again for your help!

hellokitty
11-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Wanted to put in a good word for Electrolux. Got a beautiful electrolux FL and dryer set and I LOVE it! Previous to that, we had Frigidaire's first gen FL (same as the base Kenmore FL, they made it for Kenmore). Yes, I agree with the others, it had stink issues. The gasket in my older model was much deeper. My Electrolux has a very shallow gasket, and very little gets caught in it, so no smell issues at all. I love it and would recommend it to anyone considering Electrolux.

mommytotwo
11-25-2009, 09:34 PM
We have Whirlpool Duets (from around 2005). We do have the pedestals for both the washer and dryer. The pedestals do help raise the level of the machines higher so that moving clothes between the machines is very easy and we do use them for storage.

We did notice some of the odor issues when we were using liquid detergent even though we were always careful to leave the washer door open and the "detergent door" open to dry. After reading through posts here and elsewhere, we tried Affresh to clean out the washer with somewhat positive results. Based on more online advice (thanks!!), we were able to completely get rid of the odor just by switching from a liquid detergent to a powder detergent (we now use Tide HE powder -- unfortunately it isn't fragrence free which we prefer, but at least now the laundry room is odor free).

HTH. Have fun shopping!

lizzywednesday
11-25-2009, 10:00 PM
DH and I are planning to get the Samsungs from Sears; he doesn't want the pedestals because we have cabinets.

Thanks to everyone with the tips on drying the washers out to reduce mold. The washer we are replacing has SEVERE mold issues, so I am especially interested in keeping mold away!

AnnieW625
11-25-2009, 10:01 PM
We have a middle of the road Kenmore set and we are happy with it. I would avoid Maytag, if it's a Neptune front loader as those are notorious for having/needing repairs. I would purchase at Sears so you can use their warranty service. We had really great luck with them for ours and I like that Sears employs all of their own repairmen. I would buy my washer again if I had to, but I wouldn't buy my dryer again, the heat sensor doesn't work right and I have to dry everything on medium, which thankfully hasn't shrunk anything, but I'd really prefer a low setting. Next time I'd really like the Whirlpool Oasis or an Electrolux machine.
Fridgidaire Washer (ours is labeled a Kenmore):
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02606162000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Washers+%26+Dryers&sName=View+All+Washers
Kenmore Dryer:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02680412000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Washers+%26+Dryers&sName=Dryers

Kenmore is made by either Whirlpool or Frigidaire (I am pretty sure my model is a Fridgidaire though).

Also the only thing I really don't care for in regards to my front load washer/dryer is that the controls are right at DD's level so if you don't have room for the pedestals like us (we have cabinets above the system) then look at a system that has the controls on the back like the traditional washers.

ETA: DON'T buy the extended warranty from Best Buy! I had issues with them servicing my Ipod not being able to fix it and then requiring me to buy a whole new warranty. It was not a good issue, plus I have heard bad things about their tv repairs too when the warranty has been used.

sunshine873
11-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Soooooo...Black Friday is almost over. Did you get one? I did. I was leaning towards the Samsung at Best Buy. But we didn't go super-early (waited for DD to wake up) and they were long gone by the time we got there at 8:30. :( Then went to Sears who was completely out of the ones we were looking at. Ended up at Home Depot who had the LG pair we wanted for half-off. Whoo hoo! The only downside is that they won't be delivered until Dec 9th, so I'll be without a washer until then (mine took a dive on Wed.) But I'm willing to deal with it for such a good deal! :)