PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Increasing Energy Level?

sste
11-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Recently, I have had terrible daytime energy at work (desk job). I am working on getting a little more sleep; exercise is pretty difficult to fit in during the week though I do work out on weekends.

Any suggestions for foods, supplements, anything else?

ThreeofUs
11-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Fish oil supplements? FWIW, if I don't have one/day, I feel tired.

Hope you feel better soon.

maestramommy
11-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Truly, the only thing that is guaranteed to work for me is getting exercise, which translates into better sleep. :hug:

pinkmomagain
11-25-2009, 04:17 PM
I used to complain about this to my dr and his answer was always exercise. I've finally embraced it and I think it's true. I used to think exercise meant working out hard at the gym, and therefore, it was always short-lived because I could never sustain it. For a year now, I am doing only walking (mostly outside). It used to be for just 20-30 min nearly everyday, now I've upped it to about 40 min a day. Maybe you can manage to squeeze in a short walk before or after work...or even during your lunch hour?

swrc00
11-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Just a thought. Have you ever had your B12 checked out? It is not tested in a regular blood work up. I was having the same issue with energy and my doctor tested me and I ended up being low. Supplements have made a huge difference.

wellyes
11-25-2009, 06:45 PM
I had that problem when I would have a can of Coke with lunch. Sugar high then CRASH hard. Wanted to nap around 2:30 each day. So maybe it is something in your diet like sugar (or caffeine) that's putting you on an energy-level rollercoaster. Of course if you DON'T have lunch,that's a problem too. Protein-rich foods are a good way to keep up your stamina.

cono0507
11-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Can you get outside at all for a walk during the day? Getting some sunshine helps. Exercise also has been the answer for me too.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Truly, the only thing that is guaranteed to work for me is getting exercise, which translates into better sleep. :hug:

same here. i can't wait until i can exercise more once my baby is born...right now i can't exercise as much b/c it's so awkward.

also, avoiding carb-laden breakfasts & lunches (e.g. pancakes, pasta, bread) helps. the other day i ate a big stack of pancakes for breakfast and i pretty much slipped into a "food coma" after that. i try to balance the carbs with things high-protein things like cheese, nuts, etc

jhrabosk
11-25-2009, 08:35 PM
I find that getting up and away from my desk is pretty key to improving my focus and stamina.

Another thought...have you ever talked to your doc about sleep issues? If the quality isn't good, that could affect energy during the day. DH and several other members of my family have varying degrees of sleep apnea and all have issues with being sleepy during the day. All are treating it with an oral appliance pretty successfully.

Hope it improves soon!

hillview
11-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Agree with pp get blood checked. Might also be anemia.
/hillary

lizzywednesday
11-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Recently, I have had terrible daytime energy at work (desk job). I am working on getting a little more sleep; exercise is pretty difficult to fit in during the week though I do work out on weekends.

Any suggestions for foods, supplements, anything else?

I have a stinky desk job, too, and find if I don't get up and fidget every now and again, I start falling asleep.

Even a few minutes of fidgeting can help!

I used to have a site bookmarked that had "keyboard yoga" on it, but the site rearranged itself and it's no longer there. (This stinks. I loved the site, but then it did something I describe as "going pink" ... it went stereotypically female on me rather than staying strong, independent and intelligent.)

srhs
11-25-2009, 09:38 PM
vitamin D? You might have that checked too. Or just supplement. I think most women are low...especially in winter.