PDA

View Full Version : Down Comforter & Potty Accident

SunshineWedding
11-25-2009, 04:01 PM
My down comforter is now soaked with pee - DD had a accident in there while napping, which never happens, except in our bed!!! Can it be saved? Dry Cleaned? Its still wet and smells pretty much like pee soaked feathers. Our mattress also took a hit, even though I had a "waterproof" mattress pad on it, but it seemed to do little to nothing to save the mattress - any suggestions for cleaning?

Thanks ladies and Happy Thanksgiving!

citymama
11-25-2009, 04:21 PM
We had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. We took it to the dry cleaners and it seems fine now. Then just 2 days later DH spilled almost an entire cup of coffee on the same comforter and mattress. GRRR. Dry cleaning bills.

codex57
11-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Ours are from Macys. Some of them, yes they are down, say machine washable. So we do. Doesn't seem the worse for wear.

Including the Macys brand ones. Charter Club tends to be machine washable. Their Hotel brand tends to say Dry Clean only.

hardysmom
11-25-2009, 05:00 PM
I wash in our washer. No softener. Dry on Medium. Takes a couple of cycles for our king sized duvet.

This one is from LL Bean. I've washed probably 10 times in 2.5 yrs. No issues, no leaking, like new.

I had down toddler blankets from PB Kids, also washed them.

KHF
11-25-2009, 05:15 PM
I wash our down comforters all the time. Wash in a regular cycle w/ no softener and dry with 3 tennis balls in the dryer. I can't remember where I found that tip, but it makes our comforters so nice and fluffy. I also wash our down pillows with this method.

BabyMine
11-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Our cat has peed on ours. I put vinegar on the stain and then wash with oxyclean.

AshleyAnn
11-25-2009, 05:43 PM
No idea about the comforter but when DH's cat pee on our bed i used nature's miracle to save my pillow top mattress. I SOAKED it in NM then let it dry naturally - took DAYS b/c of the pillow top - and its perfect. I was 9 weeks pregnant if it smelled i would have known. I still smell it every time I change the sheets just to be sure its still cat pee odor free :)

JBaxter
11-25-2009, 05:49 PM
ours has been washed more times than I can count :)

ThreeofUs
11-25-2009, 06:04 PM
ours has been washed more times than I can count :)

:yeahthat: In really hot water, with an extra rinse. Dry low with tennis balls all round to fluff it.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Just want to add that I have overflowed the washer doing this (twice). Do not set on extralarge load of too much water may do this to you too.

aa2mama
11-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Down comforters can be washed; the key is that they have to be thoroughly dried afterwards or they will stink. Our comforter doesn't fit into our washing machine, so I dry clean it.

gatorsmom
11-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Some down comforters can be machine washed at home. It really depends on the size and quality of the comforter and the size of the washer. Also, as a pp said, if you do wash at home, make sure you dry it thoroughly so that it doesn't mildew. Keep in mind that not only could you overflow the washer but if there is any kind of hole in the ticking, you could have feathers leaking out everywhere into your washer and clogging your drain. In high school, I worked at a dry cleaners for 3 years. I've heard lots of down comforter horror stories. :47:

Down items do come through dry cleaning beautifully if you don't want to risk washing it at home. Oh, and if you don't like the idea of the dry cleaning chemicals, you could ask if they'll launder it for you, some dry cleaners will.

lil_acorn
11-26-2009, 08:35 AM
I bring my down comforter to the laundromat to wash since it doesn't fit in my washer.

doberbrat
11-26-2009, 09:34 AM
add me to the laundromat group.

wash on warm/gentle and then dry on med for 1/2 a cycle, w/several clean tennis balls in it and then low for 1/2 a cycle and fluff (air) until dry.

I'd use nature's miracle and fans on the mattress (sunshine would be better than the fans but it might not be an option...)