PDA

View Full Version : What happens if DS1 can't get H1N1 booster shot after 3-4 weeks?

wencit
11-25-2009, 05:57 PM
I know he's only about 50% protected from H1N1 and needs a booster shot, but what if we can't find it in the next couple of weeks? Does it matter if he gets his booster, say, 3 months after the original vax? Does the original shot then become "invalid" in some way? Or does it just mean he'll be walking around 50% protected from the H1N1 forever (in theory) until he gets his booster?

Thank you!

citymama
11-25-2009, 06:27 PM
First of all, the vax only confers about a year of immunity. I think you should try and get him the booster in 21days-6 weeks. Beyond that, ask your pediatrician?

wencit
11-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Thank you, citymama. Our pediatrician's office has been less than helpful in getting us in to get our shots. They haven't returned any of my calls to schedule an appointment, even though I followed their protocol and put DS1's name on their list. Then I found out from another friend who goes to the same pediatrician that they held a mass H1N1 clinic and never told us about it. But I suppose that's a story for the Bitching Post!

I was planning on going to the free county clinic next weekend but found out that they canceled it. Hence, my question above. I was worried that it would take for-ev-er for DS1 to get his booster. Fortunately, I found out this afternoon that another source has about 15 doses of H1N1 shots for my son's age group, and I plan on getting it for him on Monday, if all goes well. Cross my fingers!!!

citymama
11-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Hope you get it! I have heard that Alameda Co. will be conducting more clinics in early December. DD's pediatrician scheduled her H1N1 shot for 23 days after her first dose, but they didn't know she'd already had the first dose. We showed up and they gave her the booster, but I'm glad I didn't tell them ahead of time. Boy oh boy, did she throw a fit though!

Happy TG!

Corie
11-25-2009, 10:38 PM
We just got an email from our pediatrician's office that said the kids
are not allowed to get the H1N1 booster until after Jan. 1, 2010.
This is in compliance with the Rhode Island dept. of health regulations.

(That's what they said anyway.)

My daughter is school-age and she is getting the H1N1 shots through
our Rhode Island school system. She had shot #1 on November 5
and she won't get the booster until sometime in January.

wencit
11-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Hope you get it! I have heard that Alameda Co. will be conducting more clinics in early December. The one on December 5th has been canceled. They are still unsure about the December 12th one. After that, they have no planned vaccination clinics.

DD's pediatrician scheduled her H1N1 shot for 23 days after her first dose, but they didn't know she'd already had the first dose. We showed up and they gave her the booster, but I'm glad I didn't tell them ahead of time. Ooooh, smart thinking! :applause: I tried to do that, but the lady on the phone said I should have gotten an appointment for the booster when we went in for our first shot, so then I had to tell them we had gotten one somewhere else. Plus, I was worried about making sure the appointment was at least 21 days after the first shot.

Boy oh boy, did she throw a fit though! At first I thought you were talking about your DD, but now I realize you were probably talking about your ped's office, LOL!

wencit
11-25-2009, 11:44 PM
My daughter is school-age and she is getting the H1N1 shots through our Rhode Island school system. She had shot #1 on November 5 and she won't get the booster until sometime in January. November 5th is when DS1 got his original shot, too. Good to hear that "the powers that be" think it's fine to wait all the way until January. That is sort of the reason our free county clinic canceled next weekend's session -- they are giving all their vaccine supplies to individual health care providers.

Ugh, I dread going through this rigamarole again at the end of January when DS2 becomes eligible for the H1N1 shot. I'm hoping the vaccine will be widely available by then, but I'm not holding my breath.

citymama
11-26-2009, 12:42 AM
We just got an email from our pediatrician's office that said the kids
are not allowed to get the H1N1 booster until after Jan. 1, 2010.
This is in compliance with the Rhode Island dept. of health regulations.

Wait, Corie, why is this the case? Now I'm freaking out that DD got her second shot 23 days after the first. Do they now recommend waiting longer? Cr@p!

At first I thought you were talking about your DD, but now I realize you were probably talking about your ped's office, LOL!

:bag I *was* talking about DD. I'm not sure the ped.'s office will ever let her back in - she was hysterical and spooked all the other kids patiently waiting for their shot. Funnily enough, she wasn't even aware of when she got the shot - the drama was all over by then!

wencit
11-26-2009, 03:02 AM
Wait, Corie, why is this the case? Now I'm freaking out that DD got her second shot 23 days after the first. Do they now recommend waiting longer? Cr@p! I am guessing this is to allow more people to get the first H1N1 shot, given the limited availability of this vaccine. The CDC still recommends 4 weeks between doses, although it considers "at least 21 days" to be valid.

http://cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/public/vaccination_qa_pub.htm

:bag I *was* talking about DD. I'm not sure the ped.'s office will ever let her back in - she was hysterical and spooked all the other kids patiently waiting for their shot. Funnily enough, she wasn't even aware of when she got the shot - the drama was all over by then! LOL, your poor DD! We didn't even tell DS1 what was happening. Just took him in and, "Oh look, the nice nurse is gonna give you a little --- all done!" :D

Corie
11-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Wait, Corie, why is this the case? Now I'm freaking out that DD got her second shot 23 days after the first. Do they now recommend waiting longer? Cr@p!

I just assumed it was due to limited supply.