PDA

View Full Version : DD and DS need tonsils, adenoids, etc... out

HIU8
11-25-2009, 08:33 PM
DD and DS are being seen by an ENT. DS has sleep apnea, large tonsils and adenoids and frequent sinus infections. We have been monitoring him for almost a year with the ENT. DD needs tubes, tonsils and adenoids out (tonsils bigger than DS-frequent sinus infections also and a significant hearing loss due to fluid in her left ear and speech issues). DS has to have it done at Children's hospital--due to the apnea his oxygen levels have to be monitored overnight. We are not sure if DD has apnea, but suspect it so she would have to have it done at Children's as well rather than their outpatient center. The ENT wants to do DS first and then DD later (probably a month later). At first he wanted to do them both at the same time. I had no idea how I was going to handle that. Has anyone had multiple children undergo this type of surgery at the same time or close together? How did you handle it? We are trying to schedule DS over his winter break. DD I have no idea yet.

I feel bad for DD and DS--they have no idea what's coming. OTOH, I'm so glad to be able to do this to help them.

JMS
11-25-2009, 08:57 PM
I have no advice, but wanted to offer you hugs. Even though it's a relatively minor surgery, you situation sounds trying to say the least. I just wanted to ask if you've considered getting a second opinion? Getting tonsils outs seems so much rarer these days that it seems just a little odd to have two children in one family both need the same procedure.

Hang in there :)

jamesmom
11-25-2009, 09:14 PM
I have no advice, but wanted to offer you hugs. Even though it's a relatively minor surgery, you situation sounds trying to say the least. I just wanted to ask if you've considered getting a second opinion? Getting tonsils outs seems so much rarer these days that it seems just a little odd to have two children in one family both need the same procedure.

Hang in there :)

Actually it may not be as rare as one thinks because the presence of enlarged tonsils and adenoids, sleep apnea and breathing problems is partially due to genetics. Sleep apnea runs in my family and my DH's family, unfortunately. DS had sleep apnea and ended up having to get his tonsils and adenoids removed this summer. He now sleeps and feels much better. DD had to get ear tubes last year because she was having multiple ear infections each year. We're definitely one of those families that keep ENTs busy!

Hugs to the OP and her family on the surgeries!! It's not major surgery but it's still nervewrecking to get through something like this. I do recommend not scheduling them close together though, and preferably not when your DC has school or a lot going on. My DS took a week to recover from tonsil/adenoid removal, and there was no way he could have gone back to school during that time. Other kids bounce back faster though. Hope your DCs recover quickly and are back to normal in no time. Hang in there!! Just know they will feel and sleep much better after this is all done with.

hillview
11-25-2009, 09:21 PM
DS #2 had adnoids out and tubes put in. Our ENT at Mass Eye and Ear sugested waiting to see if he really needs tonsils out (they are large) as it is somewhat painful aftermath at this age (2) and they don't really get it. The adnoids and tubes were fine (no pain after -- running around at recovery). Our doctor said that if he stopped snoring (he did) after adnoids out to wait and see. About 80% of kids do not need tonsils out later in life (20% do) according to our doc. DS had hearing loss (resolved post-tubes/draining).

Hugs!

HTH
/hillary

HIU8
11-25-2009, 10:33 PM
This is our third opinion. It is the son of the doc that took my tonsils and adenoids out (as well as my brothers and sisters and did my sisters tubes). The doc also happens to be a cousin (I hope he would not steer us wrong). We have waited a year with DS so far. DD has an immediate need for the tubes (a 35% hearing loss in her left ear). I'm inclined to do her tonsils etc.. at the same time b/c the ped and three ENT's have commented on the size of her tonsils and that she will eventually need surgery and I don't want her to have to go under with anesthesia more than she needs to. Plus, both DD and DS seem to get sick and stay sick all season (they are miserable and live on nasonex to be able to breath (I'm not crazy about long term use of it). Oh, and DD snores like a buzzsaw. that is what concerns the ENT--that DD may also have sleep apnea (not what I wanted to hear).

My uncle has sleep apnea. I have sinus infections (still). My mother has a hearing loss caused by fluid in her ear that was never taken care of. My sister had tubes as a kid (twice I think). It does run in my family--looks like both my kids favor me as far as genetics b/c DH never had these issues.

DS's sleep apnea affects his moods, his concentration etc... Plus the bags under his eyes are HUGE. He gets 10 hours of sleep a night, but it's just not quality sleep. Add to that he is a mouth breather and the dentist has talked to me twice now about how not doing anything will affect the growth of his lower jaw (make it long and narrow).

I'm not crazy about doing any surgery, but want to do what is best for DD and DS.

ThreeofUs
11-26-2009, 12:37 PM
This is our third opinion.

*snip*

I'm not crazy about doing any surgery, but want to do what is best for DD and DS.

I am SO sorry you're going through and going to go through this. Many positive thoughts coming your way, and hugs to both of your kids.

As a mom, I think I'd be going crazy right now. How are you doing?

carolinamama
11-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Hugs to you!

Hopefully this will be one of those surgeries where you think afterward that it was a great decision. I know I got my tonsils and adenoids out (unfortunately as an adult) and it made a world of difference. DS1 got tubes as a toddler - I know, much smaller procedure - and it was such a drastic difference from the chronic ear infections he had been experiencing.

Melbel
11-26-2009, 01:00 PM
We are another ENT's "dream family" unfortunately.

DD1 had tubes at about 18 months (VAST improvement after 6 months straight of ear infections and/or fluid plus easy recovery)

DS had tonsils and adenoids out when he was 6. We tried to let him "grow into" his tonsils but that was not the case. Our ENT originally recommended having them out at age 4. We did have a break in strep and tonsillitis, but DS always seemed tired (still napped at age 6) even though he was getting 11 hours of sleep per night. He was also a mouth breather. I wish, in hindsight, that we had the surgery at age 4. He is still a mouth breather out of habit. Although the surgery was successful, it was more difficult than we expected because his tonsils were huge and deep. He needed a full 2 weeks off of school to fully recover (1 of the weeks was our spring break). DD1 was actually traumatized a bit by seeing her brother in so much pain (she developed daytime frequency of urination which was no fun). I would probably prefer having both kids surgeries at the same time so they would have to get through it together. I cannot imagine if DS had his tonsils out after seeing DD1 go through it because he is already a worrier by nature. With your DD only being 2, she will probably not worry so much.

Good luck with the surgeries. It sounds like you have not made the decision lightly and that it will be in the best interests for your children. :hug:

elephantmeg
11-26-2009, 04:19 PM
As a peds nurse I've taken care of lots of kids who've had them done and we did have one family that did both kids at once. I think I would-you'll have the fridge stocked with ice cream etc, you'll be in the routine of giving pain meds. Good luck!

JBaxter
11-26-2009, 04:32 PM
at age 4 ish Nathan was snoring like a buzzsaw too. My ped recommended a ENT consult the ENT took a look and said his tonsils were huge and they needed to come out. In the mean time we started him on allergy meds ( spring allergies) within 2 weeks his snoring greatly improved. Even my ped was suprized they went ahead and scheduled him so quickly. I cancelled the surgery with him.

DS2 had a year of strep throats 8 confirmed cases in 12 months we had his tonsils out when he was 10. He was down 2 FULL weeks and not "great" for a 3rd. He ate nothing but frozen popcicles and jello for a week and nothing solid for a week after that. ( they said NO icecream the first week due to the dairy)

Its not a cake walk thats for sure. Liquid codiene was our friend for 2 weeks

HIU8
11-26-2009, 09:56 PM
We have gone the allergy med route with DS and DD. It did nothing for either of them unfortunately. I wish it had helped.

JBaxter
11-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Honestly then.... I'd have them done at the same time. Its gonna be a bear but when its done its done. I know Connor REALLY needed his done. He hasnt had strep since.

HIU8
11-26-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm calling the scheduling nurse tomorrow (if they are working) to find out whether I can schedule for winter vacation. I need to talk to her about the logistics of doing them both at the same time. Plus, I will need reinforcements b/c they will both have to stay overnight at children's (since DS has to have his oxygen monitored for 24 hours post surgery). I'm hoping my mother can come to help b/c DH will not be able to take a lot of time off of work to help me.

JBaxter
11-26-2009, 10:32 PM
yup ask if they can be in the same room you can sleep between them :) Get Grandma to the rescue

ThreeofUs
11-26-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm calling the scheduling nurse tomorrow (if they are working) to find out whether I can schedule for winter vacation. I need to talk to her about the logistics of doing them both at the same time. Plus, I will need reinforcements b/c they will both have to stay overnight at children's (since DS has to have his oxygen monitored for 24 hours post surgery). I'm hoping my mother can come to help b/c DH will not be able to take a lot of time off of work to help me.

Wow. I second asking for a room where you can sleep, too. Playdough was the savior for a young (3ish) friend of mine who had to be in the hospital and in pain. Better start filling the toy bag now, with all the deals around!

Good luck, m'dear.

R2sweetboys
11-26-2009, 11:41 PM
I disagree with those who are saying to do it together. No way would I do that. DS1 had his tonsils/ads. out when he was six and it was not a fun time for him. He was in a lot of pain for at least a week and ate very little. He had a tough time coming out of anesthesia and I was so glad that we were there to help him through it. I can't imagine not being there, and if you have two done at the same time, you will not be able to be there for one of them. :( They will need lots of TLC and I think it would be difficult with two.(especially a 2 YO) I would go with the doc's plan to do them spaced out. I really think you could regret doing them both at once. :hug5: I'm sure this is all very stressful. Take care,