PDA

View Full Version : How long does H1N1 last -- think I have it

hillview
11-25-2009, 09:02 PM
DS has been sick for a week now. Low grade fever with a cough. He had 1/2 the h1n1 vax -- has not had the booster yet. I have a fever of 102.5 and cough and feel horrible/flu like. Can someone tell me how long this lasts/progression? Is it possible DS #1 has h1n1 but a more mild form as he got 1/2 the vax? DS #2 has had nothing and weighs a little less and also had 1/2 the vax. Is it possible he didn't get it b/c of the vax and he weighs less?
TIA!
/hillary

ellies mom
11-25-2009, 09:18 PM
I don't know why some people get it and some don't. I got the vaccine on a Friday and DD1 got sick that next Monday but neither DD2 nor I got it (2-3 weeks to build immunity from vaccine). DD2 has not had the vaccine. DH complained about being sick but I don't think he had it.

Ellie had a fever for 5 days with the whole sore throat/coughing/body aches most of that time. Then she was just out of sorts, easily tired for the next week. It could just be that your son doesn't have the vocabulary yet to really explain his symptoms. Ellie didn't look as sick as she felt but now she can better explain how she feels.

hillview
11-25-2009, 09:23 PM
It could just be that your son doesn't have the vocabulary yet to really explain his symptoms. Ellie didn't look as sick as she felt but now she can better explain how she feels.

Interesting and possible. He has been running around etc. I didn't think of H1N1 due to his energy level etc. He has not been overly lathargic but we have kept him from school for a week and he is getting more rest etc.

/hillary

mytwosons
11-25-2009, 09:36 PM
In our family, myself and DS1 had it. DS wasn't himself for about a week. I was in bed for 2 days, worked the morning of the third, back to bed and then completely fine.

I hope you guys are over it soon!

g-mama
11-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Depends on the person. All of us had it and for each of us, it lasted about a week. Hope yours is less time and not too bad.

geochick
11-25-2009, 11:29 PM
My 5yo got it exactly 2 weeks after receiving his first dose of the H1N1 vaccine. He was sick for exactly 7 days. Because they didn't test him for H1N1, we went ahead and got him his booster vaccine 4 weeks after the 1st dose...just in case. My 5yo's fever never got above 102.5, but he had a textbook case (fever, chills, cough, aches, lethargy), but it was more mild than other flu I've seen with him...perhaps due to the first dose of the vaccine.

Good luck.

sarahsthreads
11-25-2009, 11:29 PM
I supposedly had it a couple of weeks ago - the PA at my doctor's office said that I did, but there was no testing. I had a fever of 100.5 - 102.5 for four days, the first two of those days I had to stack motrin and tylenol just to keep it from spiking higher, and it was accompanied by chills and aching joints. Coughing started on day 3, although at no time did I have a sore throat (which is why I'm questioning whether I actually had H1N1 or not). By day 7 I felt almost human again and the next day I spent doing my normal daily stuff...and then the day after that I woke up with a sinus infection. I'm eight days in on the ten day couse of antibiotics for that and finally feel back to normal.

Thankfully, nobody else in my family got sick, despite the fact that I couldn't keep myself completely quarantined from the kids while I had the fever. I washed my hands approximately seven billion times a day while I was sick, which must have helped...

Feel better soon!
Sarah :)

Tinkerbell313
11-25-2009, 11:44 PM
DS and DD both tested positive. Each one was over within 24 hours...we did not wait for the onset of the major symptoms. As soon as there was a fever we went in and were tested and put right on tamiflu (which doesn't always work).

DS had a low grade fever (he has respiratory issues so we were not sure how it would manifest itself...as others have posted...definitely much less severe then regular seasonal flu). DD had no symptoms...she was tested only because she was with me when I went to see doctor with DS.

Feel better!!