PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with licking chapped lips?

elektra
11-26-2009, 12:22 AM
DD has a cold and we were wiping her nose with Kleenex constantly for a few days. Now she has a really red and chapped upper lip and nose. And then she keeps licking it and making it worse. Is there a good way to stop/treat this? What's the best ointment or lip balm to use that would be ok for her to get in her mouth for when she eventually licks it? I did try some lip balm I have, but I think it was too tingly for her.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Kiss my Face makes some for kids. I use Yes to Carrots, and let DD use it. I use the lip balm on her nose, too.

gatorsmom
11-26-2009, 12:33 AM
We've been dealing with this off and on for the past 2 months. It seems that every time I go away to help my dad for a few days, I get back and Gator has a new red ring around his lips. I heal it up, go away, come back andit's there again.

I bought the Dr. Bronner's Magic Organic Lip Balm in peppermint (I've tried lemon lime and we don't like it) and we have several sticks of it around the house. Throughout the day if I see him licking his lips or right away after meals and ESPECIALLY just before bedtime we reapply it. It takes about 4 or 5 days before the chapped red ring is gone. I got back from my dad's house last Saturday and Gator had another really dry patch and today i noticed that it was healed up. You just have to make sure to consistently reapply it.

Tondi G
11-26-2009, 12:37 AM
when she is down for the night put a thin coat of neosporin on and then goop on some aquaphor! It works. Also any time during the day that you can put a nice coating of aquaphor on go for it! I have a lip balm stick from Whole Foods called Karite Lips that is really great. I think it's 5 bucks a stick but totally worth it. Here it is

http://www.amazon.com/Mode-De-Vie-Karite-Lips/dp/B0006NXS28

bluestar2
11-26-2009, 12:54 AM
I use Aquaphor on the dry spots

o_mom
11-26-2009, 01:58 AM
We use lanolin. It is thick enough that it really seems to last more than a couple licks. :)

elektra
11-26-2009, 02:44 AM
Thanks everyone! The lanolin will be my first line of defense since I have that handy. And then we do have aquaphor too.
I will have to pick up some of those nicer lip balms when I can too.

I told DD I was going to put some chapstick on her nose and she started crying and said, "I don't want chopsticks up my nose!" :hysterical:

Melanie
11-26-2009, 03:39 AM
Ds gets this problem every Fall when it gets windy. It's awful. I'm constantly having him apply lip balm all around, but there's several hours a day when he's at school so he's not. I hadn't thought of lanolin, hm....

hillview
11-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Lanolin or aquaphore
/hillary

carolinamama
11-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks everyone! The lanolin will be my first line of defense since I have that handy. And then we do have aquaphor too.
I will have to pick up some of those nicer lip balms when I can too.

I told DD I was going to put some chapstick on her nose and she started crying and said, "I don't want chopsticks up my nose!" :hysterical:

We do the Aquaphor during the day and especially at night after they have gone to sleep. Lanolin will work but be careful - it stains and is pretty impossible to get the grease stain out once it's there.

MmeSunny
11-26-2009, 06:08 PM
IWTA that it's not recommended to use a flavored lipbalm for LOs as the flavoring makes them MORE prone to licking their lips to taste it again and again, therefore defeating the purpose.

neeleymartin
11-26-2009, 08:44 PM
neosporin has a new product.

http://www.amazon.com/Neosporin-health-overnight-renewal-therapy/dp/B002P8OG4G

i read about it on a blog. reviews said that it got rid of the clown red lips. my lips are very dry and i may try it. i will post back if i do.

DrSally
11-26-2009, 10:00 PM
I found that lanolin nipple cream works great b/c it's really sticky and lasts longer on lips than aquaphor. If it's really bad, I'll sneak in at night and apply some more.

ETA: I sometimes have DS put lipbalm on his nose or cheeks, so sometimes we're in line at the store and the other people will chuckle about how he's smearing it all over his face.

DrSally
11-26-2009, 10:02 PM
We've been dealing with this off and on for the past 2 months. It seems that every time I go away to help my dad for a few days, I get back and Gator has a new red ring around his lips. I heal it up, go away, come back andit's there again.

I find that too when I go away for even part of a day. I think it's b/c I'm much better at remembering to put lipbalm on DS everytime throughout the day. When he's not with me, he could go all day wo/any and then the chapping and the licking and the chapping start up.