PDA

View Full Version : FP papasan cradle swing--fire hazard?

boogiemomz
11-26-2009, 09:42 AM
I am trying to choose a swing for my new baby. i like the look and the features of the papasan swing, it looks like at least some of them plug into wall outlets for electricity which would be ideal. Some of the reviews for this swing say that the motor smokes and sparks fly, seeming to nearly start a fire when it is running. These are the minority of reviews, most are very positive. any experience with this kind of problem with these swings? or ideas about why people would have had this problem? even if the great majority of reviews are great, if there's a chance of it catching fire, i'll pass.

ThreeofUs
11-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Geez, I never heard of that. You'd figure they'd be recalled if the swing caught fire, but I don't see anything about this on the CPSC board.

boogiemomz
11-26-2009, 02:30 PM
yeah, the reviews are really alarming. there are only about 60 one-star reviews out of about 1200 on amazon, but it's the same story over and over. check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Papasan-Cradle-Swing/product-reviews/B00192FN7I/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

traciann
11-26-2009, 08:17 PM
I have owned the swing since 2005 and used it heavily with both of my girls. They both slept in the swings for naps and bedtime and this has never been an issue. I wonder if its a specific design since there are several different versions? Its been a great swing for us.

neeleymartin
11-26-2009, 08:27 PM
i have one that plugs in and it has been great.

i wonder if that happened when babies were in the swings for great lengths of time...like all day. what motor wouldn't burn out?!? not sure. that was the only theory that i could come up with.

we have loved ours. we never left ds1 or ds2 unattended, except for quick runs to the basement, etc.

hillview
11-26-2009, 08:30 PM
With 60 reviews like that I'd give it a miss.
/hillary

mom2beofboy/girltwins
11-26-2009, 09:37 PM
I guess if there were multiple reviews about it smoking or catching fire, I'd steer clear of that one too. If you're looking for another that plugs in, I had 2 of the fisher price rainforest ones - they plug in. They were a life saver for us becuase it was the only place our twins would sleep so the swings got used A LOT and I never had to worry about batteries running out in the middle of the night. FWIW, we didn't have any problems moving them to their cribs once they got around 4 months, but those swings were probably the best purchase we made :)

ThreeofUs
11-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Bleagh. We had the starlight papasan swing, and never had a problem. Loved the plug-in, otherwise we'd have been members of the frequent-fillers club, kwim?