PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D3000

lmintzer
11-26-2009, 03:59 PM
I've been trying to decide if I want to take the plunge into DSLR world. My kids are older (8 and 6) so no newborn/toddler phase to capture. : ( It's not that i don't take pix of my boys--I still take tons. In fact, with soccer and other athletic pursuits, it might be a really good time to learn how to stop the action.

We saw an ad for a new Nikon--the D3000 for a fabulous price.

Does anyone know anything about this camera? It seems to get good reviews and offer a lot for an entry level DSLR.

I'm not wanting to spend $1000 right now--I'm sure I could get more camera for more money. I'm more wondering how this compares to the Canon Rebels that people so love.

TIA, and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! I am smelling the turkey in the oven as I type. Yum!

octmom
11-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Two of my friends recently bought the D3000 and love it. :) I just ordered the D5000 package from costco.com yesterday. One review site-- kenrockwell.com-- does not review the D3000 favorably, but that is one guy's opinion and there are lots of other good reviews. I hope you end up with a camera you love! I have been wavering about this decision (Nikon or Canon and which model) for ages, and I finally just went for it yesterday.

caleymama
11-27-2009, 08:23 PM
I can't help with this specific model, but wanted to say that I finally got a DSLR almost a year ago (last Christmas) and I LOVE it. My DDs are 7 and 5 and it's in no way too late. You definitely have the right idea that it will make capturing their ever evolving pursuits even better. I received mine as a gift and the giver (my Dad) picked out the Canon XSi, but I think I would have been just as happy with a Nikon.

As Jerilyn mentioned, kenrockwell.com is a good place to start. Dpreview.com and cnet.com also were helpful when I was looking.

Enjoy whatever you end up with!

mumofboys
11-28-2009, 03:40 PM
We saw an ad for a new Nikon--the D3000 for a fabulous price.

Can you tell me where that fabulous price was found?:wink2: