PDA

View Full Version : Guitar and lessons for 6 year old?

firstbaby
11-27-2009, 12:07 AM
DS will be 6 in a few weeks and he's been really interested in learning to play the guitar for the last year or so. We have a cousin that plays both electric and acoustic and that's definitely sparked DS's interest. Anyone have some experience with this instrument for this age? We are considering getting him a guitar for Christmas with lessons if appropriate. Also, (I know this would be depend on your area), approx. what do lessons run? TIA!

TwinFoxes
11-27-2009, 04:02 AM
I don't know about prices, but when I was growing up I had friends who started lessons around seven years old, so I don't think six too young if he's motivated. They even make little kid sized guitars. I think it's great he's into music so young!

babybell
11-27-2009, 06:22 AM
I'd be hesitant about starting a kid that young on guitar (I'm a music teacher). It's a pretty big, awkward instrument and definitely not as easy to learn because it's difficult to see what you're doing (unlike piano, where everything is laid out in front of you). What I do for children who want to learn an instrument but seem too young is I start them on piano. That way you're creating a musical foundation that they can build upon for the rest of their lives, no matter what instrument they choose.

But, if you decide to go ahead with lessons, prices range depending on your area. I charge $25 for a once a week, half hour lesson.

vejemom
11-27-2009, 08:12 AM
:yeahthat:

Most of the guitar teachers I've worked with wouldn't take kids under age 12 for the reasons babybell outlined. Of course, there are always exceptions, and you might be able to find that teacher. No reason not to get him a guitar to noodle around on even if you cant find a teacher!:)

wolverine2
11-27-2009, 09:21 AM
They do make little guitars- you wouldn't want a full size for his age. I'd want a teacher who is experienced with young children. There is a Suzuki guitar program in some areas. (classical)

ezcc
11-27-2009, 11:36 AM
DS takes ukulele lessons- it's a group class and she starts at age 5 (he was 6 when he started). She starts with a soprano ukulele (the little one you usually see). You can get a soprano ukulele for 40 bucks or so. Now the class has moved up to the baritone uke, which is larger (but still smaller than a guitar) and has the exact same strings as the first 4 strings of a guitar, it has a great sound. He will do this for a couple of years and supposedly will have a very easy transition to guitar. He loves his class and the teacher is great, not sure how common this approach is though. The class works out to just under $20 for a 45 min class, there are 6 or so kids in the class.

sadie427
11-27-2009, 12:28 PM
We thought about this too and did find a teacher that was willing to try a 6 year old, but ended up starting w/ Ukelele instead--found a great local folk/old time musician w/ experience w/ kids who was willing to start a small group class. We have a local acoustic/old time music store which is a resource for finding teachers and classes; we bought our Uke there. You might look around for something similar. A decent ukelele is about $60.

KrisM
11-27-2009, 12:30 PM
They start guitar and violin at the school in kindergarten here. It's the Suzuki method in a group setting.

They use smaller guitars, depending on the size of the child. DS plays violin and is using a 1/8 scale version, as a regular one would be huge. I want to say the guitars are half size, but I'm not sure.

Anyhow, I don't think it would be too young. I know quite a few kids in guitar and they're really enjoying it.

jenmcadams
11-27-2009, 12:35 PM
My DD wanted to start Guitar at that age and most of the music teachers we talked to cautioned us to wait until 3rd grade at the earliest. We ended up starting her in piano at the beginning of 1st grade and it seems to be giving her a solid grounding in music. If she's still interested we might start Guitar next year in 3rd.