PDA

View Full Version : How to explain this to children?

Pennylane
11-27-2009, 05:34 AM
We are buying for a few children from the angel tree. My older dd asked me yesterday why Santa wouldn't bring them gifts too? Honestly, I had no idea what to say. She is 8 and still a strong believer and I don't want to ruin that. Any creative answers?

Ann

Melbel
11-27-2009, 07:35 AM
My response to my 8 yo DD or 9 yo DS (both of whom still believe in Santa) would be that Santa will bring the children gifts, but when a family really needs so many things (including food and clothing) there is only so much Santa can do for a particular family. In the spirit of Christmas giving, other families who can afford to do so help to provide for these needy children. I try to answer in a way that is consistent with both the Santa fantasy and the truth.

MoJo
11-27-2009, 08:41 AM
I don't know how much Santa normally brings your child, but when I was growing up, Santa brought one item per child, plus filled each child's stocking. (The gift from Santa was the big one in front of the tree that wasn't wrapped; all the other gifts were wrapped and from family).

So the PP's answer would definitely work.

There's only so much room even in a very magical sleigh, after all.

Now, if Santa normally brings all your DC's gifts, then I think you're going to have a harder time.

emily_gracesmama
11-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Thank you for those answers, I love that we are helping Santa, because I will probably get that question this year and now I am armed with a great answer!

WitMom
11-27-2009, 11:22 AM
We usually do Toys-for-Tots. I tell my girls that some families aren't fortunate enough to have everything they need, like clothes and shoes, so Santa will bring them those items, and it's our job to help out with the "fun" stuff like toys. If you're doing the angel tree, you might be doing clothes and shoes, too, so I'm not sure if that answer will work or not.

bubbaray
11-27-2009, 11:23 AM
My response to my 8 yo DD or 9 yo DS (both of whom still believe in Santa) would be that Santa will bring the children gifts, but when a family really needs so many things (including food and clothing) there is only so much Santa can do for a particular family. In the spirit of Christmas giving, other families who can afford to do so help to provide for these needy children. I try to answer in a way that is consistent with both the Santa fantasy and the truth.

Basically that. Or a simplified version like "Sometimes Santa needs help. Would you like to help Santa?"

kijip
11-27-2009, 12:36 PM
For the last few Christmases, I was coordinating a large family sponsorship program (matching families with sponsors, coordinating delivery etc) and my office was full to the brim of presents etc. We just told T that Santa needs lots of help and that part of the magic of Christmas is when people lend Santa a hand and that suited him (he was 3, 4 and 5 for those Christmases).

Pennylane
11-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the responses! Great ideas that I did not think of.

Ann

stillplayswithbarbies
11-27-2009, 09:00 PM
I have always told my kids that Santa sends a bill to the parents to pay him for what he brings. When I was a kid, that is how I knew there was no real Santa, because if there was then "poor kids" would get as many gifts as "rich kids". So I took care of that with my kids so they wouldn't figure it out that way.

it's also why Santa only brings things that parents allow kids to have, so no use asking for that BB gun. :)

MamaKath
11-27-2009, 11:15 PM
I don't know how much Santa normally brings your child, but when I was growing up, Santa brought one item per child, plus filled each child's stocking. (The gift from Santa was the big one in front of the tree that wasn't wrapped; all the other gifts were wrapped and from family).

So the PP's answer would definitely work.
:yeahthat:
Our dc get 1 present handed to them by Santa each year when they are visiting my dad's firehouse. Everything else pretty much comes from the people it comes from.

They know that each year we choose to actively reach out to help others as well through things like Stockings for Soldiers, Angel Tree, Operation Christmas Child, etc. They do get that while we have less than many others, we also have much much more than many people. They know that the area we live in has wealthy parts to the county and parts where the houses have no heat or running water. Seeing that has helped them understand the need there. Depending on the age of your kids there may be ways for them to "see" the need in an age appropriate way to help the understanding.