PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Out: What the Heck are "Pixos"?

lizzywednesday
11-27-2009, 05:13 PM
OK, I got our nieces' & nephew's Christmas wish lists from my SIL yesterday and our 7-year-old niece wants something called "Pixos"

The impression I got is that they are a building set? Since I have never heard of these, I was hoping mamas here with kids in the 7-10 y/o age range would be able to help me figure this out.

Please let me know what they are, which stores I'd have the best luck finding them and if there are multiple sets that I should be on the lookout for ... also, the price-range for a "basic" set, if such a thing exists, would be much appreciated.

(Thankfully, the other 2 kiddos are easier to shop for ... 5-y/o niece wants a book I've already gotten her, "likes music" so I thought the 'Annie' B'way soundtrack would be good and also is into 'Littlest Pet Shop' toys, so I thought a nice set would be good. The nephew is 3 and into everything I was into at that age. It's so much easier to shop for him than the girls!)

ETA: Top budget per child for Christmas is $50, but we like to give them multiple packages to open. We are also planning to get the 7 y/o a hair dryer she wants (she saw it at Target) and maybe a hair-styling book. (I'm tolerably sure AG has a video, but IDK about a book.)

SnuggleBuggles
11-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Pixos are everywhere- Target, Bed, Bath and Beyond for starters. They are what they used to call AquaDots...but those got recalled b/c some were laced with drugs. Those went off the shelf and a few months later Pixos showed up and they sure seem the same.

Amazon has a lot in stock too.

Beth

g-mama
11-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Perfect item to give your niece...especially if you don't particularly care for your SIL. :innocent:

They are a PITA, IMO. My boys had them and well, maybe they could be more meticulous than they are, but those teeny tiny balls were everywhere, all around the edges of my house as they would fall from the table and roll around and get kicked everywhere. I banned them and will not allow them ever again. That and Moon Sand!

lizzywednesday
11-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Pixos are everywhere- Target, Bed, Bath and Beyond for starters. They are what they used to call AquaDots...but those got recalled b/c some were laced with drugs. Those went off the shelf and a few months later Pixos showed up and they sure seem the same.

Actually, I never knew what the heck AquaDots were until the recalls, either.

So, they'll be anywhere and probably in budget. Thanks!

Oh, and am I spelling the toy name correctly?

Perfect item to give your niece...especially if you don't particularly care for your SIL. :innocent:

They are a PITA, IMO. My boys had them and well, maybe they could be more meticulous than they are, but those teeny tiny balls were everywhere, all around the edges of my house as they would fall from the table and roll around and get kicked everywhere. I banned them and will not allow them ever again. That and Moon Sand!

No, actually, I like my SIL.

Truthfully, she won't ask for things that she doesn't want in her house ... this is the same family for whom Moon Sand has been a staple gift request, which I've mentioned elsewhere around here. As I get the requests directly from SIL, I am usually OK with getting whatever's been requested if it's in-budget. (We've been informed of banned items before ... the first banned item was stuffed animals because a lot of them are impossible to clean if they've been vomited on. She's right.)

Not crazy about the mess idea ... but good to know about it! These will have to wait for the family Christmas celebration rather than a gift for our pre-Christmas-Christmas get-together that we do with DH's aunt, cousins and cousins' kids. There will be 9 kids there and they all like to play with their gift-exchange gifts right away ... and with an almost-2 y/o in the group, I'd rather not give something like this. (We do a kind of "Secret Santa" gift exchange for the kids - each couple is assigned a child and a $30 maximum budget. Past years' exchanges were for kids we'd normally not see during the holidays, but MIL switched it up a bit this year ... I think she just wanted to buy something for our LO on the way!)

g-mama
11-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Yes, definitely be careful with an almost-2yo around. That was our biggest issue when they were given to us a couple of years ago. Not only did I have my own almost-2-year-old but my nephew who lives locally and comes over often was just crawling and I was always in a panic that someone would pick them up and eat it. I was never totally convinced that Pixos were any less dangerous than Aqua Dots so that really worried me.

I was just teasing about not liking your SIL. :) I have four of them and I really like them all.

KrisM
11-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Pixos don't get the best reviews on Amazon. I found a similar thing that gets better reviews. DS really wants Pixos and is getting the other instead.

It's this: http://www.amazon.com/Manley-Art-tastic-Magic-Deluxe-Playset/dp/B00199FV0U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1259364361&sr=8-2

But, I got it for $29 at Walgreens.

lizzywednesday
11-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Yes, definitely be careful with an almost-2yo around. That was our biggest issue when they were given to us a couple of years ago. Not only did I have my own almost-2-year-old but my nephew who lives locally and comes over often was just crawling and I was always in a panic that someone would pick them up and eat it. I was never totally convinced that Pixos were any less dangerous than Aqua Dots so that really worried me.

I was just teasing about not liking your SIL. :) I have four of them and I really like them all.

Yeah, this is why I'm leaving that for Christmas Day, rather than the pre-Christmas get-together. Do not want to be responsible for the tiny pieces!

(I am gaining another SIL in January; she's a wonderful girl. What she's doing marrying my brother, I will never know, but I thank G-d every day for her influence on him because he now acts like a human being.)

Pixos don't get the best reviews on Amazon. I found a similar thing that gets better reviews. DS really wants Pixos and is getting the other instead.

It's this: http://www.amazon.com/Manley-Art-tastic-Magic-Deluxe-Playset/dp/B00199FV0U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1259364361&sr=8-2

But, I got it for $29 at Walgreens.

Thanks for the tip!

The reviews on Amazon were VERY disappointing, so I was starting to get a bit antsy about getting the Pixos for DN ... I hate disappointing the kids on Christmas. (This is why I ask SIL for gift lists for the kids. I suck at buying presents for little girls.)

Jenny_A
11-27-2009, 11:30 PM
DD is almost 4 and she LOVES Pixos. She received them as a reward for good behavior. She chose them. Here's how I've made them work - I pour all of the pixos into one little bowl and then she uses her fingers to pick them up and make designs. We got one of those pens that's suppose to help place them but I couldn't get it to work. Fingers just work better. And DD just makes her own designs. We don't really use the cards that come with it. It's great for fine motor skills. She does drop them on the floor but not too much. I make her use the kitchen island so the fallout is contained and vacuume afterwards and we put them out of reach when she's done playing. She'll play for a good hour or two with them.

BeachBum
11-29-2009, 09:23 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Pixos-6009720-Ultimate-Design-Station/dp/B0016A57DS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1259544142&sr=8-1

This set was at Costco for $19.97 today. HTH someone

lizzywednesday
11-30-2009, 01:15 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Pixos-6009720-Ultimate-Design-Station/dp/B0016A57DS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1259544142&sr=8-1

This set was at Costco for $19.97 today. HTH someone

I wonder if BJ's sells something like it instead. (I have a BJs membership, so that's why I'm asking.)

srhs
12-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Sorry for the bump, but I saw this "deal" and thought of this thread:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016A57DS/ref=s9_blfr_bw_ir02?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-8&pf_rd_r=1DWY0B8XVHTQC1PF4PCF&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=503799051&pf_rd_i=384082011
Pixos Ultimate Design Station, $15.98

also http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=ty_blfr09_pixos?ie=UTF8&docId=1000462991&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-10&pf_rd_r=0J2TMNH30Q1E5HAVG2TX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=503620491&pf_rd_i=360960011

alien_host
12-09-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw Pixos at AC Moore...50% off coupon this week.

The one posted above on Amazon is a good deal. I got it at Target for $20 and thought that was good...it might have to go back!

TRU sometimes runs a deal where you buy a set and get another small set for free.

lizzywednesday
12-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Thank you everyone for the tips!

I'm almost done with DN's list (thankfully, she didn't have much on it) so these deals are coming at a good time.

Maybe I should start reading the TRU e-mails I've been getting, right???

wendmatt
12-09-2009, 11:59 PM
DD (7) loves Pixos, she just likes to make creations, bascially small balls that blob together! The ulitmate set for $15 is a great price.

DrSally
12-10-2009, 01:16 AM

Beth

They're exactly the same, just rebranded to take away the stigma with the old brand. Something to the effect that when the dots were ingested, they were metabolized in a way that was similar to the "date rape" drug rohipnol (sp?).

ETA: I assume the fixed the issue, but they rebranded b/c the aquadots name was forever tainted.

WitMom
12-11-2009, 11:54 AM
The Ulimate Design Station (or whatever it is called) is now $9.99 on Amazon. For that price, we might take the plunge.

Dmfox0000
12-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Beware I bought these for my daugter and gave them to her 12/19 and today 12/22 we are on our way to hospital! She is having a reaction to these things! When I called the company they would not release the MSDS sheet to me or be of any help. She is not the only one who has had an allergic reaction either. PLEASE BECAREFUL!

lizzywednesday
12-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Beware I bought these for my daugter and gave them to her 12/19 and today 12/22 we are on our way to hospital! She is having a reaction to these things! When I called the company they would not release the MSDS sheet to me or be of any help. She is not the only one who has had an allergic reaction either. PLEASE BECAREFUL!

Thanks.

How old is your DD and what did she do that caused the reaction? Just ordinary play?

They are intended for a 7 y/o, but she has a 3 y/o brother who gets into everything.

alien_host
12-23-2009, 04:03 PM

Oh no, I hope she is OK. Please post back any more info you have when you have a chance.