PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Holder

MacMacMoo
11-27-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure what I'm looking for. DH wants something whimsical. I want it to be something that when we have more kids we can add to what we have and it not look odd. DH actually envisions something like different animal for each person and the animal is holding a candy cane upside down to hold the stocking.

Anyone has any suggestions?

mommytotwo
11-27-2009, 10:05 PM
We purchased ours through Lands End as they carried them each year, we were able to get them engraved, and we liked the design of them. In the past we had also used a set that spelled NOEL and just hung ornaments from the holders that we did not need to use for stockings.

SnuggleBuggles
11-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Just a thought...if you get them make sure there is absolutely no way the kids can reach the stockings and accidentally pull the stocking and stocking holder down on themselves. Some of them are really heavy and could hurt a child. That's the reasoning dh gave to talk me out of buying them. :)

Beth

hbridge
11-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Just a thought...if you get them make sure there is absolutely no way the kids can reach the stockings and accidentally pull the stocking and stocking holder down on themselves. Some of them are really heavy and could hurt a child. That's the reasoning dh gave to talk me out of buying them. :)

Beth

Yep, this is why we screw small brass hooks to the underside of the mantle...

katydid1971
11-27-2009, 11:25 PM

Beth

This happened to DS two Christmases ago!!!! It just missed his eye and left him with a big lump on his head. Last year I found a plastic hooks that that rest on the mantle and hold the stockings. They weigh nothing and if they get pulled down couldn't hurt anyone.

belovedgandp
11-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Not whimsical, but I've absolutely loved these from solutions.com

http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=1088

Our mantel has a very curved edge at the top so many of the holders out there would not work. These are light weight, yet strong and kind of cute in a non-decorative way. Added bonus for no worries about hurting anyone when they get yanked on. I've been using mine for 6 or 7 years now.

KrisM
11-28-2009, 12:00 AM

Beth

We put nails at the back of the mantle and use picture wire between the stocking holder and nail to make sure it can't be pulled down. We also connect the tree to the wall for the same reason.

Our stocking holders are all snowmen. I bought mine when I was single, added DH's a couple years later, and then added each year for each kid. None are the same or even the same style, but they're all snowmen.

mom2binsd
11-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Just saw this

http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455248925203 77&pfx=pfx_shopcompare&cid=shopping3&mr:trackingCode=8C27D5BC-C9C7-DE11-974B-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

alexsmommy
11-28-2009, 07:41 AM
We use the plastic hooks that rest on top of the "mantle" (we don't have a fireplace we put them elsewhere) because of how heavy the other type are. Santa moves the stockings to their doorknobs when he visits so they have something to open while waiting for Grandma and Grandpa to get up and come over so they can go downstairs so how much weigh they can hold is not an issue for us.