PDA

View Full Version : Still a gap with Ikea crib?

lak
11-27-2009, 10:33 PM
We just purchased an Ikea Leksvik crib, and are planning to get a Colgate Classica 1 foam mattress. I saw some threads from about a year and a half ago, warning about a significant gap around the mattress in these cribs. Is this still a problem? Does anyone have any more recent information/experience with this? Perhaps the Gulliver is a better choice?

twowhat?
11-27-2009, 10:48 PM
I dunno but I don't think the lesvik design has changed at all. The gap doesn't SEEM like it'd pose a safety hazard when we looked at it in person, but we didn't want to chance it and went with the Gulliver, which we've been REALLY happy with.

athompson
11-28-2009, 12:03 AM
Yes, we have this one and there is a small gap. A "standard" crib mattress does not fit perfectly. I would go with the Gulliver for that reason. I would have had I known about the gap:duh:

srhs
11-28-2009, 12:12 AM
I was probably the poster you read...yep, DS1 is 19-mos-old, so that seems about right. As annoyed as I was with the gap, it hasn't caused us any problems. We did add the mesh Breathable Bumper when DS could move around.

lizzywednesday
11-28-2009, 06:52 PM
I just saw it in person today (it's my fallback crib should the mostly-new Bellini crib I received from SIL & BIL not be cleanable; the slats and drawer are moldy & the backing board is cracked) and I stuck my fingers in to see how big the gap was, because, visually, it doesn't look too concerning.

There seemed to be a bit of a gap with the Gulliver as well, but this might just be my store.

Both cribs were displayed using the IKEA Sultana mattress.

fedoragirl
11-29-2009, 09:44 AM
We own the Gulliver crib and Sultana mattress, and I do see an insignificant gap in the crib. However, I don't think it will pose a problem at all.
I don't think I would get the Leksvik crib unless you were getting the IKEA brand mattress because someone told me that they fit the cribs well.

bodey
11-29-2009, 02:33 PM
My problem is that I have already purchased and assembled two of the Leksvik cribs (and dresser unit) for our impending twins. We purchased these over the Gullivers because we liked the look of them better and was unaware of the gap issues. Taking the cribs back is not an option for us. I would really like to purchase the Colgate I mattresses for these cribs. Has anyone, RECENTLY, used this crib/mattress combo? Ikea's website says to use a 27.5" mattress. The Colgate is listed as measuring as 28", so i would think if anything, the mattress would be too large for the crib, not too small. Also, is the 3.5" foam ikea mattress as good/safe as the colgate? thank you:

twowhat?
11-29-2009, 04:03 PM
IMO, the IKEA Sultan Blunda foam mattresses are perfectly fine. We use them in our Gulliver cribs and have been very happy with them for our twins. They are firm, with a softer egg crate side. They are easy to lift out of the cribs to change sheets. I totally recommend them. I also wouldn't worry so much about that gap in the Lesvik. When we saw it in the store, it didn't look like it would be unsafe to me. The mattress still fits tightly in the crib - it's just that there's that extra piece of wood between the mattress and crib slats but I don't see how a baby could fall in and suffocate, esp if you use a thinner 3.5 inch crib mattress as opposed to a 6-inch thick mattress. If you like the cribs you got, I'd stick with them and have no worries:)

lak
12-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks to everyone for your help with this. Our Colgate mattress finally came over the weekend - we assembled the crib, stuck in the mattress, and it looks fine. There is less than two fingers' width on the sides between the mattress and the rails (I can get two fingers in if I really jam them, but barely, and my husbands' fingers don't make it - guess it depends on whose two fingers you're using!). So, we've decided this crib/mattress combo is safe.

Kymberley
12-22-2009, 04:34 PM
We have the same crib and a Moonlight Slumber mattress. The mattress fits well, but there is a 1 inch gap between the slates and the mattress. We went to Lowes and bought 2 pieces of 1X4 lumber, cut them to the length of the crib, sanded them and slid them beside the mattress. No more gaps and no more places for DS to get his arm stuck. He did that twice, and that was enough.