PDA

View Full Version : Re: A Lefty?

cindys
11-27-2009, 10:48 PM
My 3yr old is a lefty (as is my 18yr old DS) and for Christmas we got him a Leapster..

Yesterday at Thanksgiving at my Moms DS was playing with his cousins Leapster..

He loved it BUT he had to use his right hand to write because the cord didnt reach far enough over for him to use his left..

He isnt comfortable using his right and so he was getting frustrated with the game.

Anyone know if Leapster has provisions for Lefties?

I will call or send them an email but wondered if anyone had experienced this?

deannanb
11-28-2009, 12:34 AM
no help for you, but I've never paid attention to this - and DS is a lefty too.
I'll have to ask him about ti!

elliput
11-28-2009, 02:08 AM
I don't have hands on experience with the Leapster, but I do know that the V.Smile Cyberpocket is designed for both left and right handed children. I discovered this just the other day when I was wondering what the little switch on the back did. Also, the attachment for the stylus is centered making it convenient for both lefties and righties.

alexsmommy
11-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Huh. I'll ask DS1. He's never mentioned it, but although he's clearly a lefty, he is somewhat ambidexterous so perhaps he just uses his right hand. He's had it for three years now...

ETA
Ok, just watched DS1 use it. I could see if he were writing with an "overhand" lefty grip it might be a little bit tight, but doable. DS1 uses an underhand lefty grip like a righty and he has plenty of room.

JBaxter
11-28-2009, 09:43 AM
DS2 is VERY MUCH a lefty. He is a total gamer and has been since a young kid. He helps DS3 quite often with his leapers and hasnt mentioned anything about the cord not long enough. I dont know if he has just adapted but I'll ask him.

caleymama
11-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Huh... We have 2 different Leapsters - one new one that's the current Leapster 2 and one much older regular Leapster that was a hand-me-down. Both my DDs are righties so it's never come up, but I just tried both Leapsters and it appeared that the cords would allow a lefty to use it fine. The newer Leapster 2 was a little trickier b/c the cord comes out of the device all the way on one corner (bottom right), but it was still plenty long enough. The older Leapster's cord comes out in the middle of the bottom so it can easily go either way.

hez
11-28-2009, 01:13 PM
DS is a lefty, too. Just asked him, and he says he uses the stylus with his left hand without issue.

ETA: He has the Leapster L-max-- the cord comes out of the center of the bottom.

jillmk
11-28-2009, 01:22 PM
My DD3 is just starting to use the Leapster. She is a lefty most of the time, and does struggle a little bit with the length of the stylus cord. I unattached it from the Leapster...hopefully we don't lose it!

alien_host
11-28-2009, 01:26 PM
DD is 4.5 and is clearly a lefty. She has no issues using the leapster but she does have smallish hands and thin fingers, not sure if that helps her or not.

cindys
11-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks everybody!! :):)

Not sure how old my nieces leapster is but I will open and check out the one I bought for DS...

saschalicks
11-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Before our Leapster broke our lefty almost 4 yr old never had this problem. The cord was just long enough. Maybe you could contact Leapster and see what they say.

ged
11-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Not to be cynical, and hopefully he can use the Leapster without too much of a problem, but as a lefty in a right-handed world, it will probably benefit him to be able to get used to using his right hand in certain circumstances. I am a lefty and I realize that I just had to adapt, to a degree. Your son will probably also do the same when it becomes necessary.

MamaMolly
11-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Not to be cynical, and hopefully he can use the Leapster without too much of a problem, but as a lefty in a right-handed world, it will probably benefit him to be able to get used to using his right hand in certain circumstances. I am a lefty and I realize that I just had to adapt, to a degree. Your son will probably also do the same when it becomes necessary.

Another adult leftie nodding my head in agreement. Kinda frustrating but true.

Melaine
11-29-2009, 09:45 AM
I wonder if you could get those a cheapy pack of the little stylus made for Nintendo DS and use those?

ezcc
11-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Both my dc got leapsters last year for christmas. They are both lefty and the cord comes out of the bottom (this is the regular leapster). I would look for one like that if you can.

megs4413
11-29-2009, 01:59 PM
DD is a lefty and just recently got a Leapster 2 and has had no problems.