PDA

View Full Version : I need help picking curtains.. please help :)

heidiann
11-28-2009, 12:55 AM
I really have no idea what sort of curtain/window treatment would look nice on this window.
We have a maroon leather couch/love seat, so who would like to pick me curtains? :)

gatorsmom
11-28-2009, 02:29 AM
I'm not a decorator by profession but I do enjoy interior decorating, if that counts. :) I think there are lots of things you can do here but you have to ask yourself some questions:

How much light do you want to be coming through these windows?

Do your window treatments need to provide privacy?

Do you need something durable here or can something cloth and/or more delicate work here (I saw the cat climbing poll and was just thinking of a cat trying to climb the curtains).

What is your budget?

How is the rest of the room decorated?

There are so many things you could do here. You could simply put up horizontal blinds which will provide privacy, are indestructible and are easy to clean. You can get nice, white PVC blinds at Home Depot. Or you could do something ornate like a sheer with a bit of a pattern on it. This would provide a bit of privacy but wouldn't block the light and they are very delicate but can be inexpensive and yet elegant. Or you could do a valance with a blind. Or, if you like the shades that are up already, you could dress them up with a valance. You could do all out pleated curtains that are tailor fit to each of the windows (my mom loved this look and always said JCPenney did a great job for that type of curtain).

I think this website has good ideas www.smithandnoble.com (http://www.smithandnoble.com) . Even if you don't order from them, their pictures might give you something to think about.

gl!

heidiann
11-28-2009, 04:05 AM
I would like those windows to bring as much light in as possible, so i'd like the window treatments to be sheer and delicate. There is a cat climbing pole but the cats basically stay outside and when in the house don't bother anything. I don't need the curtains to provide much privacy, I threw those blinds up b/c I had no idea what else to put up there lol... I'm just starting to decorate the room so its pretty much a blank canvas.
As for my budget i'd like not to spend a fortune on the curtains so somthing on the cheaper side would be nice but i'm not opposed to spending a little more to get something nice iykwim... so with that in mind what would you put up on those windows? can you show me a pic of what you may be thinking?

heidiann
11-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Does anyone else have any suggestions?
TIA

gatorsmom
11-28-2009, 05:38 PM
I would like those windows to bring as much light in as possible, so i'd like the window treatments to be sheer and delicate. There is a cat climbing pole but the cats basically stay outside and when in the house don't bother anything. I don't need the curtains to provide much privacy, I threw those blinds up b/c I had no idea what else to put up there lol... I'm just starting to decorate the room so its pretty much a blank canvas.
As for my budget i'd like not to spend a fortune on the curtains so somthing on the cheaper side would be nice but i'm not opposed to spending a little more to get something nice iykwim... so with that in mind what would you put up on those windows? can you show me a pic of what you may be thinking?

Well, then in that case it really depends on what feel you want the room to have but you basically only need something to frame the window on the sides and/or the top. You could do a simple valance to put on top of the windows like this (you don't need the side panels as shown in this picture- it would dress up your room but it would take some of the light out of the room):
http://www.rhfashions.com/view.asp?i=BED_DEER_VALLEY

or this http://www.rhfashions.com/view.asp?i=BED_GLASGOW

The valances shown in those photos are dressy enough imho to stand alone without the side panels. Again, though, it depends on how formal/casual/informal a feel you want the room to have. These would dress up the windows without darkening the room, kwim? As an aside, it's really hard to see what colors are on those internet pictures. I'm not saying you should get THESE PARTICULAR valances but rather something like them. Croscill is the manufacturer of these 2 valances in the pictures and they have lots of lovely collections. Bed, bath and Beyond carries them, sometimes JCPenney and Dillards if you have those around you. You could leave the blinds on WITH the valance, too, if you do need some privacy. Although, if you are going to do a fabric valance, I prefer a wood blind (I can't tell from your photo what color yours are).

Otherwise, a sheer panel with or without a scarf is a nice way to frame the window and give it a softer look. I've done this in my bedroom, guest room, and dining room. This picture looks dark, but you could do something with a lighter pattern to lighten the room. Oh, and they come shorter in sizes that would fit your shorter window. If you like the length you could use a tieback on each side to pull the sheer away from the window :

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?DeptID=60156&CatID=69999&GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=16785e3&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=60156%7c69978&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=6&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=60156%7c69978%7c69999&CmCatId=60156|69978|69999

These could be pretty and would let in a lot of light. You get them long and tiedback or short to fit your window: http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=60156&CatID=62064&GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=1614652&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=60156%7c60197%7c62060&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=4&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=60156|60197|62060|62064

The last thing I have in mind is to put up faux drape panels that just set at the sides of your windows and appear to be real curtains but wouldn't actually cover the entire window if drawn closed. I have those in my family room where we don't need privacy or to darken the room. You could put a decorative rod at the top of the windows and let the faux panels simply fall to the sides. You could do long or short to fit your window. Maybe something like this: http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?DeptID=60156&CatID=60729&GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=1552bc3&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=60156%7c60188&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=1&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=60156%7c60188%7c60729&CmCatId=60156|60188|60729

If I were you, I'd take these ideas and go to a store and find patterns and colors you like. It is so hard to order window treatments online. I've tried. Hope this helps some!

heidiann
11-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Lisa, thank you very much, that helps a lot!