PDA

View Full Version : Bday party at the Children's Museum?

elizabethkott
11-28-2009, 11:25 AM
DS will be 3 (!!!) on Jan. 5th, and I have to start planning his birthday party now otherwise it won't happen with the craziness of the holidays. For the past two years, we've just had a party at home. Now that he and his friends are bigger and more active, I don't think we can do it at home - we have too many of our friends who have kids his age who would be invited.
Has anyone done a party at a children's museum? Pros? Cons? We're going today to pay more attention to what a party there might be like. They list $375 for a weekend party for up to 12 children (we wouldn't have more than that), but that's for an hour and a half party without food included. Is this normal? Help!
(FWIW, we'd be going to the Long Island Children's Museum if that helps or is important!)
TIA!

jenmcadams
11-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Seems a little high to me, but I'm sure Denver is way cheaper than Long Island. We have had fun at Children's Museum parties, but we've had more fun at My Gym type parties at that age. They keep the kids better engaged and contained (at a museum, sometimes everyone gets so spread out that you lose the "party" atmosphere). We have paid around $200 for 90 minute parties at My Gym and I love them. They do well with a range of ages, they handle the cake, etc. and overall they just are easy :)

michlyn
11-28-2009, 04:10 PM
All of my kids have had first birthday parties at our children's museum - I just prefer being able to show up and have everything taken care of. At our children's museum, we get a room rental for an hour and a half or so and have pizza, cake, and the kids can run around and play. The guests have access to the museum but it's on everyone's own - so aside from the communal room, there isn't as much interaction (which was fine when my kids were 1 and had limited attention spans). That price is inline with what most places charge. For older more active kids, I prefer going to a bounce house type of place (we go to Pump It Up for my oldest's birthday and she and her friends have a blast).

SnuggleBuggles
11-28-2009, 04:15 PM
We have attended one. They ran a pretty tight ship but I wasn't wowwed by it. At the one we went to the kids were in the party room and they made a craft, ate pizza then went to one section of the museum. That was the part I wasn't a fan of. There were too many other people there that weren't part of the party since it was a weekend. Almost all the parents stayed and I think that was good for adult/ child ratios when crowded. I would feel uncomfortable with 3yos in that scenario, personally.

Another thought is somewhere like a gymnastics' studio (independent or something like My Gym) where your party will be the only kids there. I think it is more relaxed and fun that way.

Beth

vludmilla
11-28-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm in lower Westchester and I still think it's a tad high considering that it doesn't include food. It seems to me that I remember friends of mine having very nice parties (with food included) for about that price, but they weren't at a childrens' museum b/c we don't have one yet.
Anyway, it seems to me that LI and Westchester should be similar price-wise.

hellokitty
11-28-2009, 06:08 PM
For age 3, I think that opting for a gym place would be better for a bday party. All they want to do is move around at that age...

MMMommy
11-28-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't think I would do a kids' museum at age 3. Little attention span at that age, and I agree with PPs about that age group wanting to jump around and let all their energy loose in a gym or bounce house type place. I would maybe consider the museum for 5 and up.

ThreeofUs
11-28-2009, 08:03 PM
We did a CM party last year - but in our area, it's about 1/2 the cost of yours. It was fantastic! All the kids got to run around the CM, play in the newly-installed Sand exhibit, and generally let loose a ton of energy. The party was also a hit, and everyone there talked about what a great time their kids had - and how tired they were when they got home.

I was surprised; I had reservations along the lines of some pp's, but it turned out to be a very "complete" experience for all the kids (from ~2 to 10). Not just party and games, kwim? But a little bit of learning as a loose group, too.

I'd say go for it!