PDA

View Full Version : Melissa and Doug recall

kristac
11-28-2009, 12:40 PM
This is a Canadian recall but I would assume the same paint was used on US products as well.

http://cpsr-rspc.hc-sc.gc.ca/PR-RP/r....jsp?re_id=889

From the link:

"Testing by Health Canada has revealed that the surface paint on the toys contains barium in excess of the allowable limit."

The recall includes the Slice and Bake Cookie Set, Pound-a-Peg, and Shape Sorting Cube.

bubbaray
11-28-2009, 12:47 PM
I posted about this last week in Oh Canada: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=342519

I spoke with M&D and they said that the paint meets US standards. I assume that that means there will be no recall in the US. I wouldn't sweat it too much -- barium is used in diagnostic imaging.

Ceepa
11-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Just checked and we have the recalled slice and bake cookies.
ETA: Thanks Melissa for that info., too. I guess I'll just set them aside for a little bit.

kristac
11-28-2009, 01:00 PM
I posted about this last week in Oh Canada: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=342519

I spoke with M&D and they said that the paint meets US standards. I assume that that means there will be no recall in the US. I wouldn't sweat it too much -- barium is used in diagnostic imaging.

I actually don't have any of these particular toys but this annoys me- that the US allows higher limits then Canada and Europe and that M&D are aware of the problem but will do nothing since it is "within standards". I know it happens all the time but it ruffles my feathers. Note to M&D- just because the US limits are higher does not mean we Americans want toxins in our toys.

ETA: especially annoyed by the cookies which are very likely to be mouthed even by older kids. We do own several other M&D food sets.

KpbS
11-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks for posting. I was hunting down the cookie set for friends and settled on the pizza one instead. I really dislike second guessing paint on toys. :(

wellyes
11-28-2009, 01:10 PM
What a crying shame. M&D is the brand many parents trust who won't use plastic. Is nothing safe?

Bens Momma
12-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Has anyone in the US called them? In the past they've had great CS. Sounds like they are offering replacements for those in Canada and I was wondering if there is any option for us in the US? We literally opened a set given as a gift 2 days ago!!

R.
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

Melaine
12-01-2009, 12:54 PM
I emailed M&D the day that Melissa posted the recall. No response yet. I'm torn because the Cookie set is literally one of the girls favorite toys, so I'd hate to get rid of it. They do put them in their mouths sometimes although I discourage it.

vonfirmath
12-01-2009, 01:03 PM
From another standpoint: If you are displeased with the US standards, maybe it is incumbent on us to get the US Standards change rather than expect companies to make things to Canadian standards to serve the US market...

Just because it is the Canadian standard does not mean it is the "best" standard. Just like the US standard is not necessarily the "best" standard. Each country has chosen their own.

I do know one thing: the net result of the CPCIA (the last time the US tried to legislate safety) has been that small, independent, and foreign companies serving the US have pulled out of the market. And it hasn't done anything about the big, mass produced toys here.

Clarity
12-01-2009, 01:04 PM
I bought the cookies to give dd1 for Christmas. However, when I saw the Canadian recall, I decided to return them. It's really a shame that US standards are so lax.

bubbaray
12-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Really, I wouldn't look to Canada for "safety" standards. The Canadian gov't can't even force a recall on consumer goods. They are trying to get the legislation changed, but as it stands right now, all recalls here are @#$%^ voluntary. WTF? The gov't has a pretty good track record of shaming companies into recalling products via the media. But, that's about it. If a company flat out refuses to recall a product, there is nothing that can be done.

The only reason I participated in this recall is that my kids don't use those M&D toys anymore and I basically got a freebie, which I was gonna purchase for DD#2's bday in January anyway. I wouldn't worry about barium. JMHO.

MMMommy
12-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Drats. I just ordered it yesterday from Amazon. And of course it already shipped b/c of 2-day Prime shipping. Can't cancel it now.

moosemama
12-01-2009, 05:56 PM
I called M&D about the recall (I'm in Canada). They told me that they test every batch and only one specific batch per toy had a level that was too high (by Canadian standards). They are replacing all batches for Canadian consumers as a "courtesy" because they "take safety concerns very seriously" but no other batches have had levels that were too high. These are the batches that were too high:

Slice and Bake Cookie Set: UPC 000772040747 batch number ZP1208.
Shape Sorting Cube: UPC 000772005753 batch number XY0309.
Pound-a-Peg: UPC 000772004961 batch number ZP0609.

The UPC and lot number can be found on the product packaging. The batch number is a tiny white sticker on the label.

HTH.

Clarity
12-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Here's what zrecommends has to say about the recall: www.zrecommends.com (http://www.zrecommends.com).
"Although the toys have only been recalled in Canada, all signs seem to suggest that these same toys also fail CPSIA standards for heavy metals, which went into effect in February 2009."

DrSally
12-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Oh shoot, I have the slice and bake set, DS is playing with them right now, among many other M&D sets.

ETA: I also have the pound a peg and DD puts the pegs in her mouth.

slworld
12-01-2009, 06:37 PM
We have the pound-a-peg and DS puts EVERYTHING in his mouth :-(

brittone2
12-01-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm totally done with M&D. I got rid of most of our M&D products after the MIC/lead based crappola of a few years ago. We didn't have much, but I got rid of what we had other than keeping a shape sorter.

My mom asked for ideas for DD's bday (in Dec.) and I suggested maybe something like the slice and bake cookies. Stupidly I assumed they would be reasonably safe after so much attention was drawn to the issues w/ paint. I'm not at all thrilled that their levels may exceed standards, 2009 or 2010.

Grrr. Totally done with them this time. What's that saying...fool me once....

Melaine
12-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Here's what zrecommends has to say about the recall: www.zrecommends.com (http://www.zrecommends.com).
"Although the toys have only been recalled in Canada, all signs seem to suggest that these same toys also fail CPSIA standards for heavy metals, which went into effect in February 2009."

Well, I trust them for sure. What a bummer.