PDA

View Full Version : Playsilk recommendations

LAMom
11-28-2009, 01:43 PM
After reading all the raves about playsilks, I decided to get some for my 16 month old.

I decided I will get dyed ones and the consensus seem to be to go either with atoygarden or thaisilks. Does anyone have any experience to prefer one or the other?

Also, which colors/sizes would you recommend? And how many for a good set? I didn't have any when I grew up, and I haven't seen them with my friends' kids, so not sure what the good basic set involves.

Thanks!

jent
11-28-2009, 02:54 PM
I have to put in a plug for these (http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFarmhouseBoutique) from etsy. Beautiful colors, shipped quickly, nice seller.

corrie23
11-28-2009, 04:32 PM
I've bought tons from thaisilks and have been pleased. The 36x36 side is the basic all-purpose I think. They always go on sale around this time. Right now they're $5 each which is pretty good IMO and the color selection is good. Ours have held up well over the years.

LAMom
11-28-2009, 04:47 PM
I've bought tons from thaisilks and have been pleased. The 36x36 side is the basic all-purpose I think. They always go on sale around this time. Right now they're $5 each which is pretty good IMO and the color selection is good. Ours have held up well over the years.

Thanks. Any suggestions on how many and which colors? I figure since it is a good deal I might buy ahead.

corrie23
11-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Well, your LO is so young that they may not be a big hit just yet. We started DD#1 with some silks when she was around 2 (used them as little capes/skirts/shawls for her as well as the backdrop for play with wood people/animals). Both my girls use them all the time now. We have every color that you could imagine. Blue, green, and brown/gold can be nice to use as scenery in playing with toys e.g., green grass, blue water, brown/gold dry grass or fall colors. Red can be popular as a superhero cape, and little girls seem to especially love their pink/purple for dress-up. Honestly my girls use all the colors.

I too bought bundles of them when on sale and use them as gift wrap sometimes for the girls (e.g., for Halloween the "Halloween Fairy" left them dress up clothes wrapped in a new orange silk in exchange for their candy). With some very basic sewing skills, you can also use them to make silk capes/skirts for much less than buying them elsewhere. Sew 2 straight lines and insert a length of ribbon and you can make a cape or even a reversible cape for 20-40% of the cost of a Sarah's Silks one.