PDA

View Full Version : Hanukkah Party --> Redux & Lessons Learned

Fairy
11-29-2009, 12:05 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year at this time, I hosted our first Hanukkah party for DS's friends (and their parents). Now I'm at it again, and again and am having neuroses over 1) food, and 2) whether or not to invite crazy-wildman child & family. I came here to post for HELP, but then I remembered, waaaait a minute, I had a thread on this with holiday hockey pucks in them. And I found it, and now I'm remembering exactly what I did, why, and how it went -- which was awesome thanks to advice here! --> http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=309347&highlight=latke. With those lessons learned, here's more qu's.

I am definitely making latkes (that is, buying them from Trader Joe's and heating them up in the oven), making Kraft mac & cheese & fish sticks for the kids, dessert, and drinks. Plus, each family is bringing a dish to share.

* Do I need a main dish for the party to go with the latkes, or should I just do bring salads and apps?

* I have a jello mold coming already. Kugel woman got voted off the island, so I'll need that. What other dishes not already mentioned would you ask for?

* I have coffee maker issues; is Starbucks Via instant sufficient or is that considered tacky? If the latter, how terrible would it be if we had no coffee at all?

* I have a dreidel game and a Hanukkah Gelt Hunt game planned. Should I put in a Hanukkah DVD, too, to let them wind down at the end? I would LOVE to put in a Charlie Brown Xmas, but a couple moms would not appreciate it (I guess it is Hanukkah), so what DVD am I left with, the Adam Sandler thing?

* Any free suggestions welcome.

THANK YOU!

-- Hil

Clarity
11-29-2009, 12:12 AM
:popc1: I'm hosting the IL's for Hanukkah this year. I could really use all the ideas I can glean!
Potato pancakes at TJ's - check!

gordo
11-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Yummmm - latkes and Kugel! Can I come?

Is the party for lunch or dinner? With the latkes, kugel and everyone bringing a dish, I would say you are find not having a main dish. I would go with salads and apps.

I am not a huge coffee drinker, but I think Starbucks Via would be fine if you don't have a coffee pot. Or you can ask someone to bring the coffee and a coffee maker instead of a dish.

Not a huge fan of the Rugrats myself, but I do think there is a Rugrats Hanukkah movie.

Have fun!

ETA - I much prefer the Manishewitz Latke mix in a box to the frozen TJ ones :) Of course that involves more cooking.

boolady
11-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Kugel woman got voted off the island

ROTFL. I don't know why this phrase struck me as so funny, but it did. Okay, I don't have any Hanukkah party experience, so I guess I'm just chiming in regarding entertaining. Hope that's okay.

1. Yes, I would have a main dish and have others bring appetizers/salads/etc. If it's dinner, I would plan on serving an entree.

2. I am bad at making coffee, but do it when we have guests anyway, and I think you have to have coffee, especially for with dessert. I would drink the Via, but I don't know if I'd feel comfortable serving it at a party. Can you find out if any of the guests have one of those coffee things with a tap (I can't think what they're called at the moment)? If they do, see if they'll bring it. Then, you can hit them up to make the coffee, too. If I didn't do that, I'd at least send DH out for a Dunkin' Donuts Box of Joe...

3. Yes, I'd have the DVD ready for the winding down period so that the kids settle a bit and the adults can enjoy their dessert in relative peace.

Sounds fun-- have a great time!

gatorsmom
11-29-2009, 12:19 AM
I have no advice and the link you posted isn't working for me but I just wanted to say I totally remember all the prep you did for the party last year. I also wanted to say that if you ever move to the Twin Cities please, please, please can I be your friend? You always go all out in planning your parties and they sound so fun (I'm thinking of your DS's birthday party, the annual Hanakkah party, etc.). They sound like some pretty incredible events.

I hope everything turns out well and did want to say that i thought I heard of a Charlie Brown Hanakkah Special? I could be wrong there. By the way, I saw pickled herring at the grocery store and thought of you :D (that stuff is the best).

Clarity
11-29-2009, 12:28 AM
I googled. There are really not many Hollywood options for Hanukkah videos, but you could choose from a few. The muppet looking one has me intrigued. http://videos4jewishkids.tripod.com/jewish-children-video-hanukkah.htm

And, I'd probably do a main dish too, and then have guests bring the apps/salad. IL's will be getting Sharyn's (SASM) recipe for beef bourguignon that she posted on the Tgiving thread: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/beef-bourguignon-recipe/index.html

Fairy
11-29-2009, 12:29 AM
I also wanted to say that if you ever move to the Twin Cities please, please, please can I be your friend?

Dude. Done.

I, um, may have been in Minneapolis last weekend. Um. I kind of was maybe there. Next time, I promise to look you up! :duh:

Fairy
11-29-2009, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the replies so far! Here's a new question. Last year it was all via email. This year I'm making real invitations. The concepts are awkward in print and I don't want to be tacky or piggy. Have to get across that this is potluck, I'm providing all the hard stuff, but everyone has to bring a dish, and the optional gift exchange (we do a game for this with a Hanukkah countdown calendar where they go fishing for gelt, which are the chocolate coins, already bought, BTW, from Trader Joe's!) needs to be gender-neutral in the amount of $15. Is that too much? Not enough? $10 is too little, but $20 is pushing it. Right? Here's the wording. Don't love it. Had a very hard time rhyming (and I'm the queen of this, so am frustrated) so I gave up. Thoughts appreciated!

Please join us for a
Hanukkah Party
Hosted by DS
(and his mom & dad)

We’ll serve latkes & drinks!
We’ll make the dessert, too!
Bring mom & dad,
Your siblings, too.
Please also bring a dish to share for Quite the holiday feast!

We’ll light the Hanukkah candles,
then we’ll play a gift exchange
game! If you’d like to participate,
please bring a wrapped gender-
neutral gift of a $15 value.

DS's House
Address
Thursday, Decmeber 17, 2009
5:30pm – 7pm
RSVP to me and DH
My phone number
My email address

eta --> Forgot to add the part about P's and siblings welcome, so this is my latest.

deannanb
11-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Latkes, applesauce, sour cream -
salad and apps would probably be enough
skip the coffee - or if you want something hot, serve tea

I've been to a party where they served frozen hash browns as latkes! - yuck!
store bought latkes are okay

rugrats hanukkah - haven't looked for it on DVD - but it is out there on vhs

pin the gimmel on the dreidle - make a big dreidle and give all of the kids a gimmel with their name on it.
musical chair game with presents - if the kids are opening one that night (I didn't read the previous posts you linked)

ETA: (you posted the invite as I as posting my comments) - I would say "bring a SIDE dish to share" - maybe put some suggestion on the back, salad, green beans,
I'll think about the wording for the gifts - $15 sounds good - not sure how many kids and what ages - you may need to get a bit more organized with that - a toddler doesn't need a GI Joe action figure. Pull names out of a hat?

Fairy
11-29-2009, 01:00 AM
So far we're talkin' 12 kids and all their parents if everyone comes. A couple babies.

I have a Hanukkah countdown calendar from PBK, I put a bunch of Hanukkah Gelt in there, and they do this game where they each get to dig into a pocket and grab the gelt, grab a gift, and then everyone opens at the same time. They then take their gelt and play dreidel (if we get that far, as these kids are 4 and 5). I like the Gimel thing, too!

Is it completely tacky to put on Rudolph or Charlie Brown Xmas? It probably is.

bubbaray
11-29-2009, 01:15 AM
I totally remember last year's thread! Fun! Someone who hates cooking as much as I do, LOL!!

Am I the only one who wants to know the Kugel woman story?

FWIW, I am a huge Starbucks fan and I could only just barely tell the difference between the Via and their brewed coffee. Just barely. My friend couldn't tell at all. HOWEVER, it would be FAR cheaper to run out to Walmart and buy a new coffee maker than to make Via for 24 parents (assuming 2 parents per child). Could you borrow a coffee maker from one of the families for the event if you don't drink coffee? I'd also have tea available and possibly decaf and herbal tea.

happymom
11-29-2009, 01:18 AM
Don't forget sufganiyot- jelly donuts! Yum.

reissgirl
11-29-2009, 01:20 AM
I've hosted/attended many Chanukah parties and I definitely don't think you need a main dish. Maybe one of the salads can be a pasta salad so there's another option. Sufganiyot would be great dessert.

mommy111
11-29-2009, 01:24 AM
I would do a main dish for the party, especially since you are expending so much effort into doing this. And I like the Dunkin Donuts pot of Joe idea if there is one close by. Personally I would drink the Via (I think most people won't know unless you tell them) but of you have any coffee snobs there, you might have a problem.
I am sooooo begging for an invite to your next party (except I will be at work in China for the holidays and not home :( And that I am not Jewish :tongue5: But I can pan fry some mean latkes.....)

LexyLou
11-29-2009, 01:40 AM
Oh man, this thread just reminded me that if I want enough Trader Joe's latkes I better get there soon. I don't know about your TJ's but mine is always out of them by the first day of Hanukkah!

Fairy
11-29-2009, 01:46 AM
Ok, I'm still waffling on the main dish. What main dish would I offer? I don't keep kosher, and the one family that does, the DH won't enter my home, but he has no problem for his 5yo and wife attending, and they just eat the dairy stuff. But I'm thinking cold cuts don't go with this party, and an easy breezy stouffers lasagne would probably not go real well either. Totally not sure what is bad form, here. Not to mention, as Melissa said, I'm soooo not the cook. I try, often fail, so easy is key. Rotisserie chicken? :bag

The kugel woman story. It's a doozy. I am out of energy to tell it. Will try to condense tomorrow. For now, know that she's a prime nutjob from Mars. Which is a total insult to Martians.

kransden
11-29-2009, 01:51 AM
Aren't some of the Rug Rats (spelling) jewish? I seem to remember they had some sort of holiday episode, but don't remember it.

rachelh
11-29-2009, 02:09 AM
I don't have much advice to offer aside from the food.

What type of kugel are you planning on making? I really don't think you need that if you are having latkes. And you can totally just do bagels with spreads and then the salads instead of a real main dish or you can do lasanga (like you mentioned) or even easier baked ziti.

Generally my family's Chanukah parties consist of:

1) the most incredible latkes ever (my grandmother has the magic touch. I can't seem to get them right) with sides of sour cream and apple sauce
2) bagels with different spreads (ie. tuna, cream cheese etc)
3) a lot of salads
4) baked ziti or lasanga
5) jelly doughnuts

good luck! I am sure it will be great!

sadie427
11-29-2009, 02:22 AM
I'm not sure if the entree needs to be dairy, but if not this is the brisket I make for Hanukkah:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Grandma-Ethels-Brisket-with-Tzimmes-231787

You can make in advance and refrigerate or freeze (depending on how far in advance.) Roast chicken or rotisserie chicken would be good too.

You could just do latkes, salad and sides though--I would plan on quite a lot of latkes per person if there's no main dish.

I would personally keep the gift exchange under $10 or skip it these days, especially for a potluck, but that may just be me.

And definitely no Christmas DVD's at a Hanukkah party. Just sort of confusing, and some Jewish people are more touchy about Christmas stuff. It could definitely be a non-holiday DVD if you can't find a Hanukkah one you like. It also sounds like you might run out of time for the DVD anyway, with food, candles, games and a gift exchange.

JustMe
11-29-2009, 02:26 AM
You mean latkes are not a main dish??? Not really kidding, in our family they are. I would not do another entree although the salads, etc, will be great.

We have the Rugrats Chanukah. Dd loves it...I can't claim to have watched it in entiretly myself so can;t really vouch for it completely. If you were going to show a Christmas movie,IMHO, I think you would at least have to call what you are doing a holiday party as opposed to a Chanukah party. If you don't do something Chanukah related, I would agree, just do a non-holiday movie.

randomkid
11-29-2009, 02:30 AM
I'm not Jewish, but do have a few suggestions. First, if you can't get the whole invitation wording to rhyme, then ditch the rhyming altogether. It seems weird when it starts rhyming, then just stops. I read it a few times and kept expecting something to rhyme with "feast". This is a minor detail, but you asked. 2) Go buy a cheap coffee maker - Mr Coffee or something. I wouldn't do instant. I don't know that I'd ask another parent to bring a coffee maker unless I had no other option. 3) Not sure about the Rugrats video. You may not be able to find it in time and these kids will have no idea who the Rugrats are - may not keep their interest. No, I wouldn't do a Christmas video at a Hanukkah party. Does it have to be a holiday video at all? Couldn't you do some other popular preschool video that is not a holiday themed movie? That would be better than a video that doesn't keep their interest or something that might offend someone, KWIM?

Good luck - you are one busy woman!

citymama
11-29-2009, 03:15 AM
We're having a Hanukkah party too. DH is making latkes from scratch - he makes terrific latkes and loves to do this (and every year we have a smoke alarm fiasco as everyone is expectantly waiting for their latkes). I think we're actually going to do a potluck this year and encourage friends to bring sides/desserts. Last year I think we had just latkes, salad and loads of desserts - which was great, but it's nice to have some veggies to cut the grease! I'll also try and have some other food the kids will like as a fall-back, but keeping with the Jewish themed evening (does hummus and pita count?). And yes, in our home the latkes are the main dish - with apple sauce and sour cream!

tnrnchick74
11-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Since I'm a recent convert, this will be my 1st Hanukkah! I'm not hosting a party, but have received invites to several...

I would have no problem bringing a gender neutral $10-15 gift (one party invite stated to bring gifts <$50!!!!!!)

I probably would offer a main entree - pasta/lasagna would be nice with the latkes, etc.

And I'm sorry the "kosher" dad won't step foot in your home. I personally think that's a little ridiculous!

And I 3rd the "box of coffee" from duncan donuts or buying a cheap coffee maker. I bought one for $10, just to have it. (I don't drink coffee).

rfeibelm
11-29-2009, 09:59 AM
I think Starbucks has a "box" of coffee you can buy for parties. Probably Einstein bagels and Panera too, I'm not sure. Can I come to your party? :)

Fairy
11-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Ok, so here are the stories, one not that interesting, the other so interesting that I have to just summarize or I'll go off for days on this loony tunes.

Kosher Dad is a total jerk regardless of his religion, but I do try to be very understanding that he is the most observant person I know, takes his practice very, very seriously, and part of the family of my son's friend, so I'm stuck with him. He means well, but he's offended me many times -- some things having absolutely nothing to do with keeping kosher, just other stuff, entirely -- cuz he's tactless, pure and simple. But, the kids don't see each other that often anymore, so it's not that big a deal. Happy for him to stay home :wink2:

Kugel Woman. Oh, where do I begin. A few years ago, we were a group of five moms whose kids were all in the same class, we clicked and became close friends, ourselves, and we'd do things quite often. However, emergent drama popped up wtih Kugel Woman that, to me, became a pattern. None of the other moms took my concerns very seriously, disagreed, explained her away time and again. I felt stuck, it was 3 to 1 on this chick, and they all adored her.

For instance, I'll give you one of her stories. A child bit DS. The school followd their policy, notified me, did not give me the name, handled it. This is their policy, I respected it. DS did tell me who it was, and cuz I'm human, I was really pissed and needed to vent, so I called one of the mom group friends to vent and only to vent. Unfortunately, Kugel Woman was there at the time, my friend didn't tell me this (learned a lesson that day), heard her end of the conversation and began bandwagoning in the background ("man, that kid is a menace! He's a troublemaker! That mom needs a strong conversation!"). Now from my end, I'm hearing this and telling Mom friend on the phone to tell Kugel Woman this is not a bad kid, I'm just upset and need to vent but I do know in my head that this happens with kids this age and I'll get over it, I'm just upset right at this second for my child. That would have been the end of it, only two days later, Kugel Woman tells me that the biter "picked a fight" with her kid and that she had a fight with biter's mom in the parking lot about the rottenness of biter and her parenting. :47: And cited examples including DS's biting incident :bag:! I felt *horrible*. I immediately called the mom and apologized profusely and took complete responsibility. I told her the truth of how I reacted and whom i called but made clear that I was just knee-jerking and needed a friend to vent to, did not choose *this* woman to do the venting to, didn't know she was there, and in no way actually believe her son is a bad kid. Which he's absolutely *not*. It's not like my DS is perfect, and I just wanted to her to know exactly how this happened. To this woman's credit, she was very understanding and has been nothing but kind ever since, even included DS in his Bday party. But this is the kind of sh*t Kugel Woman stirs up. and guys, this is the mild story, there are several others.

Thru it all, the other moms in our group didn't think her actions were that egregious, but another incident after this led me to ban Kugel Woman from our lives and remove her children from DS's influence. I did this without Kugel Woman knowing I was cutting her out, we just slowly disappeared and would not generally "be available" for group outings involving her. We had a Halloween Party, her family was not invited, and the other moms did a good job of just not letting on to her. Well, one day earlier this year, Kugel Woman did something so egregious -- so beyond the pale -- to one of the other moms in our group that she finally became the parriah to everyone that she'd been to me for more than a year before that. No one's dead or cheated on or anything, but it was bad. And also truly not sane.

Hence, she got voted off the island. And her truly delicious kugel went with her. It was a good trade.

So, there ya go.

trales
11-29-2009, 10:58 AM
In our house Latkes are the main dish, especially if you have Kugel and a lot of side dishes.

I bet a quick email to your friends would get you a coffee maker, we have 3 spares in the basement and we don't drink coffee. FIL is a coffee snob and keeps buying the latest and greatest maker and gives us the outcast, we keep them for parties. If a friend emailed that they were looking for one, I would happily hand one over. I bet you have lots of friends with extras in the basement.

arivecchi
11-29-2009, 11:17 AM
I just wanted to say that I hope your party is fab. Have fun! :waving4:

pinkmomagain
11-29-2009, 12:08 PM
OK, 1) I would make a main dish - I 2nd a yummy brisket - but I don't think it would be awful if you brought in some rotisserie chicken. 2) Definitely no xmas video....take the rugrats video out of your local library. 3) I think you should serve coffee but not Via. Either boxed coffee, or ask if you can borrow a coffee maker.

Sounds like you are going to have a fun party! Enjoy!

ShanaMama
11-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Can I come? I make a mean potato kugel! (just don't call me kugel woman II, LOL!) I'll even shlep along my keurig if it gets me in to one your fab parties!
I think latkes are fine for a main dish, you just need to have enough. Oh, and they need to be edible (remembering last years pics!) DH is the latke maker around here. I am gentically hard-wired to fry only in pam, which doesn't make for very yummy latkes.
Can't wait to hear how it goes. I'd love to make a Chanukka party but we just don't have the room for it. I'll haave to enjoy yours vicariously.

bubbaray
11-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the update, Hil. Now I don't have to wonder what the heck with respect to KW or KD....

Have a GREAT party! :)

ThreeofUs
11-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Okay, love the stories. Hope you have a wonderful party!

Why not bake some pasta with cheese and red sauce and call the main dish done? Cold cuts sound ick with latkes!

That said, the brisket recipe looks fabulous.

mommy111
11-29-2009, 02:06 PM
I think the lasagna or ziti sounds great as a main dish, or you could do the chicken. And would a Dora the Explorer or something non holidays video or a Wiggles video be out? Cuz that may keep the kids more entertained than rugrats and give the parents time to unwind.
Have an awesome party!

JMS
11-29-2009, 02:07 PM
I'll try to give orderly advice :)

It sounds like you're going to have plenty of food but I kinda think that the need for a main dish depends on the time of the party. For example, 5pm to 8pm would suggest dinner, otherwise I think heavy apps and salads is actually better (more to pick from).

DEFINITELY a movie... the kids will probably have been running around and you'll need a little peace and quiet. If you can't come up with a good holiday movie, how about something that either just came out or a classic (Toy Story)?

Coffee: do you have a Dunkin Donuts close by? I'm not sure how long it will stay hot for or if DD is close by, maybe your DH can run out - they sell Boxes of Jo. Easy pour container with lots of coffee inside.

m448
11-29-2009, 02:32 PM
well then here you go - kugel without crazy kugel lady:

http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/10/my-familys-noodle-kugel/

DrSally
11-29-2009, 03:34 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would LOVE to put in a Charlie Brown Xmas, but a couple moms would not appreciate it (I guess it is Hanukkah), so what DVD am I left with, the Adam Sandler thing?

-- Hil

:ROTFLMAO: I'm going to have DS watch his Calliou holiday movie again and see if it's Xmas or "multi-holiday/winter themed".

Is the Starbucks Via like those single pouches? I think that would be fine. I think people might like coffee with their dessert.

ETA: Love the box of coffee idea or like pp said, coffee makers can be had for really cheap. I think I got my 12 c. black and decker for $5 after rebate at BBB a few years ago.

JMS
11-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Would the moms that have problems with Charlie Brown xmas have issues with Winter Solstice? My kids love the Little Bear winter series. I don't know if it was every available in DVD format, but I found the VHS version on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Little-Bear-Winter-Tales-VHS-1997_W0QQitemZ390121599884QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVHS?h ash=item5ad50f338c#ht_1494wt_941

There are 4 stories: "Snowball Fight," "Winter Solstice," "Snowbound," and "Little Bear and the North Pole."

mamicka
11-29-2009, 06:31 PM
I think that your party sounds fantastic. I'd go with a basic pasta dish & call it an entree & buy a box of coffee.

For the video, have you looked at any sites like this? http://kidstorah.tripod.com/ I've not seen any of the videos but they look promising to me. I'd skip the video entirely unless it was Hanukkah related, honestly.

pinkmomagain
11-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Another idea occurred to me...if you can't find a video that suits the occassion, then maybe one of the parents (or a few) can volunteer to read one or more favorite Hannukah story books?

lizzywednesday
11-29-2009, 07:39 PM
I thought Shari Lewis and Lambchop had a Channukah special ... or did they just do Passover?

YES!

Amazon has it; it's a 2-holiday set, with a Pesach special too:

http://www.amazon.com/Lambchops-Chanukah-Passover-Surprise-Shari/dp/B00006JDRE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1259537778&sr=1-1

(Personally, I would choose Lamb Chop over Rugrats, mostly because I don't really like the Rugrats.)

So, anyway, I grew up Catholic but I am an "honorary Jew" ... 2 of my best friends from college are Orthodox; I lived with the wife for 2 years after we graduated, so I learned a bit of kashrut and we had great fun trading our holiday traditions. It was really funny to see the two of us at our kitchen table with a muffin tin of royal icing, painting gingerbread Nativity scenes in December ... and then in March seeing the two of us back at the table making Hamentashen.

happymom
11-29-2009, 07:44 PM
I agree that latkes can be a main dish as long as there are enough. Brisket only works if you are having a sit-down meal...most of the parties I go to, I end up eating with a plate on my lap. I couldnt cut brisket with a fork and knife if I'm not sitting at a tanle, YKWIM? I would stick with latkes and maybe a pasta dish. Have fun!

Tondi G
11-29-2009, 08:47 PM
lol here are the top 10 Hanukkah movies!

http://www.filmgecko.com/top-10-chanukah-movies/

You might have spurred me to try a Hanukkah party this year. We usually just have some family come over and have matzoball soup and my hubby makes potato latkes from the mix! My MIL used to make fresh apple sauce but we bought it last year to make it easy and they tasted just as good! We buy some black and white cookies from the jewish bakery and some gelt to play with the dreidel.

I think having others bring appetizers/salads would work out fine.

For coffee, starbucks (lots of other coffee places too) have those coffee in a box things for parties/meetings. I'd get one of those and then coffee mix ins (sugar, equal, milk or half n half. maybe some coffee mate vanilla creamer?).

pinkmomagain
11-29-2009, 09:24 PM
I couldnt cut brisket with a fork and knife if I'm not sitting at a tanle, YKWIM?

If it's REALLY good brisket, you don't need a knife....it should be so tender, you just need the fork. Yum!

noodle
11-29-2009, 10:36 PM
well then here you go - kugel without crazy kugel lady:

http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/10/my-familys-noodle-kugel/

:yeahthat:
A little O/T, but I LOVE this website. My DD started at Jewish preschool this year and has become quite the challah connoisseur. None of my attempts were worthy until I found smittenkitchen. I especially love the Surprise Me! feature.

Fairy
11-29-2009, 11:11 PM
SMITTEN -- I'm totally in love with this kugel recipe! Maybe I'll ask whomever wants to make the kugel if they've ever checked out this amazing site of recipes (wink wink nudge nudge). And if all else fails, I am DEFINITELY making this for the Hanukkah get together with our friends the next day. YUM.

LAMBCHOP -- WE HAVE THIS! Can you believe it?! I totally utterly FORGOT that we have it! It was a hand me down, and I've never watched it, but I've been told that this is outstanding by several folks. Thing is it's on VHS, and the only VCR is in our bedroom, so not sure how I'd hook this up. There has to be a way i can dub it off to DVD. Maybe I'll just bring it to Wolf and have them do it. Can't imagine it's terribly expensive? TOTALLY doing Lambchop. THANK YOU THANK YOU!

MAIN DISH & COFFEE -- I think I've settled on Einsteins bagels & spreads & tuna salad with tomatoes, cucs, and maybe lettuce. Possibly slices of cheese. Cuz pretty much every person is bringing a side dish or app, plus I know me, and I'll end up making apps anyway. So, while I'm at Einsteins, I may get a box of coffee, too.

DESSERT -- Last year the plan was to make cheesecake, but the whole thing got out of hand and I abandoned it. So, this year, I may try again. If not, then I may just cave and buy something.

Thanks so much, you guys, you all rock!

-- Hils

DrSally
11-29-2009, 11:41 PM
Sounds like a great plan. Should be a fun party! I can't believe you're having friends over the next day, I'd be totally exhausted!

deenass
11-30-2009, 12:26 AM
You've gotten some great suggestions.

I just want to pipe in my own humble opinion. It would bother me A LOT if we were invited to a HANUKAH party and a Christmas movie (ie Rudolph, Charlie Brown, etc) were shown.

I didn't realize how many times on those movies it is said "Christmas is GREAT, We LOVE Christmas, etc." until I watched one with my son last year. It brought up "why don't we celebrate Christmas if it's so great?" I wasn't really ready to deal with that question at 8:30 at night before bed. I also wouldn't wnat to deal with it at a HANUKAH party. I'd understand if you were hosting a HOLIDAY party, but it seems that you are going with the Hanukah theme.

There is stuff out there for them to watch that is Hanukah themed, or go with something neutral like Cars, Nemo etc.

Like I said, just MHO.

Fairy
11-30-2009, 12:39 AM
I can't believe you're having friends over the next day, I'd be totally exhausted!

Oh hell no. We're going there!

It would bother me A LOT if we were invited to a HANUKAH party and a Christmas movie (ie Rudolph, Charlie Brown, etc) were shown.

I don't disagree; I get it. Fear not, we're showing Lambchop Hanukkah. I'm actually going to Wolf to have it dubbed onto DVD so that it can be watched. I wish they had a few more Hanukkah shows out there, but they just keep making Xmas shows -- and they're so good! If there were more variety of Hanukkly festive movies, I'd not be in this quandary. But yay Sherri Lewis! Of course, I say that not having watched it yet, but I just know it's good!

Fairy
11-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Here's the final invitation. I needed a day away from it to find some rhymes.

HANUKKAH PARTY

Please join us for a Hanukkah party,
Hosted by DS (rhymes with "yours").
His mom & dad will be there,
So also please bring yours.
(and your siblings, too!)

We’ll serve the latkes & the drinks,
We’ll play and have some dinner.
Please bring a side dish we can share,
You won’t leave any thinner!

We’ll light the candles, play a game,
And trade a grab bag gift.
Gender-neutral, $15 dollars,
Then we’ll make the switch!

Dreidel, dreidel, six bright lights,
Gelt for everyone.
We hope you’ll come to celebrate
And all have lots of fun.

=============

Logistics

elektra
11-30-2009, 01:20 AM
Here's the final invitation. I needed a day away from it to find some rhymes.

HANUKKAH PARTY

Please join us for a Hanukkah party,
Hosted by DS (rhymes with "yours").
His mom & dad will be there,
So also please bring yours.
(and your siblings, too!)

We’ll serve the latkes & the drinks,
We’ll play and have some dinner.
Please bring a side dish we can share,
You won’t leave any thinner!

We’ll light the candles, play a game,
And trade a grab bag gift.
Gender-neutral, $15 dollars,
Then we’ll make the switch!

Dreidel, dreidel, six bright lights,
Gelt for everyone.
We hope you’ll come to celebrate
And all have lots of fun.

=============

Logistics

Looks good! I totally thought of you tonight when I was passing through the freezer aisle and saw the frozen latkes at Trader Joes!
(I can't remember exactly where you left off on dessert but you've had the TJ's cheesecake, right? Good, and it's right out of the box if you want something that is zero maintenance. Just make sure it has enough time to thaw out.)

happymom
11-30-2009, 01:59 AM
LOVE the poem!

american_mama
11-30-2009, 02:37 AM
Hilary, I know you have your movie, but just for laughs, did you check out number 6 on that Top 10 Channukah Movies list? YOU MUST!

Fairy
11-30-2009, 02:42 AM
Hilary, I know you have your movie, but just for laughs, did you check out number 6 on that Top 10 Channukah Movies list? YOU MUST!

Oooooohmigod!!! Geeking out! Thank you! Where to find, must find! And also that Shalom Sesame, too ... :thumbsup:

lizzywednesday
11-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Oooooohmigod!!! Geeking out! Thank you! Where to find, must find! And also that Shalom Sesame, too ... :thumbsup:

The Shalom Sesame episode actually came up in my recommendations after I searched for Lamb Chop on Amazon if you're interested in that, too.

Glad to help on the Lamb Chop suggestion ... Shari Lewis is definitely missed.