PDA

View Full Version : ? for those who wear saris

twowhat?
11-29-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm going to an Indian wedding next year and will be wearing a sari. I have worn one before I had twins and when I had a nice tummy and love wearing it. But now I have this HORRIBLE bulging twinskin- stretch-mark-ridden pouch that looks like Kate's from Jon & Kate (yes mine does look just about that bad). Anyway, so I am concerned about the sari blouse not covering that belly. I think I remember the sari fabric will actually kind of cover most of the belly, but not totally. Is there a way to wear the sari so that I can completely hide my tummy? Or is it better to get a Bella Band or something that I can use to hide the tummy? The tummy MUST be hidden. It is grotesque.

misshollygolightly
11-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Hmm. I don't think there's any way to wear a sari so that *no* midriff shows. You can definitely play with the folds a little so that more of your tummy is covered, though, and you can wear the skirt pulled *over* your belly button. I'd also try pinning some of the folds in place with a few strategically-placed clothespins to ensure that things stay covered when you move around. I think I'd try just pinning things so that the crucial areas are mostly hidden. Beyond that, I'd try not to worry about it. Most people won't be staring at your midriff (they'll be looking at your gorgeous sari and lovely smile!), and the lighting will probably be dim. If it still bothers you, I'd probably look at the fabric store for some nice, plain fabric that coordinates with your sari, and then stitch a band of it onto the blouse to give you more coverage. I think a belly band or similar thing might just call more attention to the area, though it would certainly cover the stretch marks. Good luck! I'm sure you'll look lovely :-)

lizzywednesday
11-29-2009, 07:59 PM
I have seen plenty of older women wearing saris who don't have this gapping issue.

Just wear a longer blouse and pin the skirt to the blouse hem ... if you're really concerned, ask the shop where you're renting/buying your sari for help hiding your tummy. They've heard it all before and will usually be great about helping!

bubbaray
11-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Saris are pretty common in certain communities here. I've never once seen a midrift. Its all in how you drape it.

truly scrumptious
11-29-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm a sari wearer - and you don't need to worry about covering up your mid-riff. The sari will take care of that in the front, and for the most part in the back, too. I would just recommend asking someone who knows (well!) how to put on one for help when you're getting dressed so that they can be sure it drapes in the most flattering manner. Trust me, you'll look beautiful and not a bit of tummy will show.
Don't wear a band or do any elaborate pinning because if it doesn't fall naturally it'll just draw attention to your tummy.
Good luck, and post pictures!

baymom
11-29-2009, 11:35 PM
The front part of your midriff will be covered by the draping and you could use the end that is pulled around your back to pin to your blouse (instead of tucking it into the petticoat). This will cover the side of your midriff completely. Since having kids, this is the only way I'll wear a sari, as well. Just don't forget to unpin it when you are taking it off!

You will look beautiful no matter what. No one will be checking out your midriff, they will be too busy thinking about their own body issues, believe me. :-)

Just wanted to add that I agree with the PP about NOT wearing a belly band--no reason to call extra attention to that area. Also, definitely tie you petticoat over or at your belly button. Like you, my days of below belly button petticoats are long gone and it makes SUCH a big difference to tie higher, to hide the 'jowls of a dog' loose belly skin. :-)

twowhat?
12-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks everyone, I feel a lot better about this now. Just gotta make sure someone who knows what they're doing will be around to help:)