PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Question - I bet I screwed up here

vejemom
11-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Background: I've been selling a bunch of outgrown baby clothes/gear on Ebay. One of these items was a barely used cover for a Bjorn carrier. The auction ended yesterday. This morning, I get an email from the winning bidder asking to cancel the transaction because "her husband doesn't want her buying used things for the baby." End Background

I'm annoyed, but I'm pretty sure that this will end in her not paying and me having to relist the item. I'm willing to let this go and go with a runner-up bid so I can get my money and get this thing out of the house. I checked the bid history, and found that the second highest bid was within $2 of the winning bid. I emailed the second-highest bidder a Second Chance offer. After doing some more poking around in the Help section of Ebay, I think I goofed. They make it sound like I have to go through the full cycle with their Resolution Center or cancel the transaction as if the problem with the deal not going through were on my side. In other words, I guess I'm supposed to go through Ebay's "official" channels before giving up and extending the Second Chance offer.) Am I going to get dinged by Ebay for jumping the gun and doing the Second Chance offer now?

FWIW, I knew in general terms that Ebay's official stance is that a bid is binding. I don't want to reward this nitwit, but I have a feeling that she won't pay, it will take weeks to resolve and I'll end up having to relist. I really need the money now, so I'd rather grit my teeth and let her go without a fight (and sell the item to someone else quickly). What would happen to her anyway, since sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for buyers?

Jenny_A
11-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Well, I don't think Ebay will say or do anything to you for going about it that way. I doubt they'll even know. Nothing will happen to the buyer. I would just send her a message saying you're annoyed and in the future not to do that to another seller. I say just get your money and be done with it.

Sorry that happened. That's annoying! If you bid on an item - be prepared to buy it!

KrisM
11-29-2009, 04:10 PM
The only reason you're supposed to go through the non-paying bidder process is because if that first winner does pay, you now have 2 people who have paid and only 1 item and then you can be reported as a non-selling seller.

You can file to mutually agree to cancel the auction and once she agrees you will get your selling fees back and you are good to go. You don't have to wait the 4 days to file a non-paying bidder report this way.