PDA

View Full Version : Best play-doh-ish stuff to make x mas ornaments?

ha98ed14
11-29-2009, 01:15 PM
I would like to make some little christmas ornaments with DD for token gifts for her teachers, friends at church, etc. I want a doh that comes in colors or a recipe that will take food coloring. I don't want to paint them, just have different colors for different things; so red balls for the green tree, etc. Does anyone have a product or recipe that they recommend? Can be leave-to-dry or bake-in-oven. :thanks:

kijip
11-29-2009, 03:02 PM
1 part water, 1 part salt, 2 parts flour. Mix, roll out to 1/4 of an inch and mold and/or cut into ornaments and bake. You can make different colored dough by adding wilton food dyes. I find the wilton dyes in little tubs (lip balm sized tubs) work way better than the liquid dye at the grocery store. You can use bits of dough to press into larger ornaments- like balls for trees and wings for angels. Use a toothpick or kitchen skewer to make holes in the ornaments before you bake. Don't forget, otherwise you won;t be able to hang them (ask me how I know, LOL). Bake in an oven at around 375ish. You can also use paint and glitter when done (just for others reading this thread- I know you said no painting).

This was my mother's favorite holiday activity. How I hated those homemade ornaments, vastly preferring blown glass. This year, I think I will decorate a living small tree with her homemade ornaments and then plant it after the holiday. She loved evergreens and Christmas. Now I am all sentimental and I think I will have T make some with me.

ETA: Dying the dough will work best if you mix the dye with the water and then mix the water with the salt and flour. Then you will have solid, un-marbled colors.

baileygirl
11-29-2009, 03:06 PM
We just made a ton of salt dough ornaments. For the hole a straw worked out great.

fivi2
11-29-2009, 03:34 PM
sorry for the hijack, but I was about to start my own thread when I saw this one...

If I do want to paint, should I use a particular brand or type of paint?

TIA!

kijip
11-29-2009, 03:37 PM
sorry for the hijack, but I was about to start my own thread when I saw this one...

If I do want to paint, should I use a particular brand or type of paint?

TIA!

Acrylic craft paints work well. We have some made in my childhood and they are still solid in color.

maestramommy
11-29-2009, 03:41 PM
If you don't want to make play doh, Crayola makes a kind of air dry clay that is super easy to work with, even kids can use it easily. It's rather spongy in texture.

miki
11-29-2009, 06:35 PM
The best ornaments we've ever made used ground cinnamon: http://crafts.kaboose.com/cinnamon-dough-ornaments.html

I made a bunch of these 3 years ago with DD and they still smell great.