PDA

View Full Version : Shopping/Grocery Cart cover...best option

czekit7
11-29-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm doing my registry, and don't recall seeing any suggestions on shopping/grocery cart covers. I understand the really necessity for one...especially during the cold/flu seasons, but are there any other reasons to have one. Do they have toys on them?

If a cover is a necessity, what would be a good brand? and why? (quality sewing, washable???) What am I looking for in one of these things?

I don't pop until the end of December, but like to have somethings researched since money is SO tight (both in my house, and in my friends/family houses).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jenn

MoJo
11-29-2009, 02:49 PM
I know my choice isn't the most popular, but I'm VERY happy with it.

I have TWO of the Eddie Bauer ones that are available at Target for about $20. You can't use them until the child can sit up (around 6 months?), so you don't need one right away.

It IS washable and dryable. I've washed my first one several times and have no complaints at all about quality. It doesn't come with toys, but it has four loops across the front where you can attach your own. It also has a small zipper compartment in front. I typically keep a ziplock bag of wipes and a diaper there for easy access, plus it makes a pillow in case DD gets tired and wants to rest her head.

It covers the entire "seat" area of every shopping cart I've used it in, including the side rails and back. It can also be used for restaurant high chairs, but we've never done that.

They say you shouldn't count on it to hold the child in a cart. . . but my DD tries to stand up a LOT less when she's in the harness of the cover instead of just in the strap provided by the shopping cart.

I liked my first one so much, I went out several months later and bought a second one for the second car (DH took my car unexpectedly, and while I had a car seat in the other car, I didn't have a cart cover and didn't want to be without it.)

HTH, and best wishes for the next few weeks!

sadie427
11-30-2009, 02:36 AM
I've never had one and never really missed it--I use hand sanitizer and/or wipes to protect the baby from germs if he sits in the cart. I don't sit him in the cart all that often, I use a sling or carrier more often.

wendibird22
11-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Have one, hated it, used it maybe 3x's and thought it was too much of a hassle. I just wipe down the cart handle and wash DDs hands after. Just was too much work to hold DD on my hip, keep a purse on my arm, unroll/pack the seat cover, get it on the shopping cart correctly and then get DD situated in it. Just wasn't worth the effort.

MoJo
11-30-2009, 09:35 AM
I will say that I always put my purse in the basket (under the seat where it's still very close to me, in sight for me and less visible to others) while I put on the shopping cart cover. And I sometimes set DD in the seat as soon as the cover is generally in place, before I actually tie it down.

It's a bit of a pain, but nothing compared to the constant "please sit down!" that happens if we're not using the cover.

I wasn't sure I'd use it at first, but as I said earlier, now I like it so much I bought a second one to keep in the other car.