PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for double stroller

mamadootz
11-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi...I'm new to this forum. Hoping some of you could give me a little advice on purchasing a double stroller. DS1 is going to be anyear old in a few days and DS2 is on his way in a few weeks!! Looking at the BJCM and the BJED. I mostly venture to the stores or do light walking around the community. Haven't seen any double strollers with reversable handle bar(I'm a fan of keeping my eye on the newbie. Any recommendations?:wavey:

jacksmoma
11-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Oh my goodness, your two are so close together! I love both the bjced and bjcmd, I have the bjced and love it for it's features BUT it is really heavy and I rarely bring it anywhere as it's a pain to put in/out of the car. I would go for the mini, the elite is really just too much stroller unless you'll be using it only outside on rough ground, the mini can handle sidewalks fine :) GL!

mamadootz
11-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the info. Yes, we didn't plan on having two kids so close together but everyone tells me it will be great for thm growing up. As for me, I'll keep my fingers crossed! I've been reading this forum for quite some time and only now joined. I was thinking about the 2010 elite because of the tire issues I've heard so much about and I was a little concerned that my 12 mo old wouldn't be able to sit upright in the mini (he likes to hold the tray in his stroller and look around). Are you aware of the bassinett being compatible with both the mini and the elite? Also, are there any changes to the 2010 bjcm? Thanks

arivecchi
12-01-2009, 02:02 PM
I would get the BJCED. You can always use a single stroller for the toddler and a baby carrier for the baby in crowded places or for travel. I think you will get more use out of the BJCED as you can use that stroller pretty much anywhere outdoors. The BJCMD will not fit taller children. DS2 never used a basinnet (although we had one for DS1). He would just ride on the fully reclined seat with a snuzzler. HTH.

WatchingThemGrow
12-01-2009, 02:54 PM
I would get the BJCED. You can always use a single stroller for the toddler and a baby carrier for the baby in crowded places or for travel. I think you will get more use out of the BJCED as you can use that stroller pretty much anywhere outdoors. The BJCMD will not fit taller children. DS2 never used a basinnet (although we had one for DS1). He would just ride on the fully reclined seat with a snuzzler. HTH.
:yeahthat: I was just about in your situation (my first two are 17 mos apart) and lived just fine with the BJCED until I found myself pg w/#3 and the oldest wasn't yet 3. I'm old and the BJCED was a bit heavy to lift once I'd already lifted two toddlers in/out of my car. If a friend hadn't offered me a free BJCMD and I wasn't pg, I could have totally survived with just the Elite. Often we end up wishing it was in the van and not the mini b/c it isn't as versatile for walking outdoors. I should just switch them.

jacksmoma
12-01-2009, 06:44 PM
I find the bjced very heavy and large, almost too much stroller. if it'll be your only double, i say the mini double is the way to go unless you plan to walk some very uneven terrian with it ")

legaleagle
12-01-2009, 07:00 PM
If I can tag onto this question. I'm expecting #2 this spring - DS will be 21 months. I love the BJCMD BUT my son is very tall (90%) and we expect him to remain so - he's a tiny clone of my 6'3" DH. Any other suggestions in the lightweight mostly-inside category for tall kids (and tall parents since DH will be using this some - I'm 5'7")? Price is not a real concern since we're buying very little new stuff for the baby and I'll be selling my Vista to fund this.

TIA!

AnnieW625
12-01-2009, 07:33 PM

:yeahthat: FWIW, the BJCED is on the list of double strollers for us to look for when #2 arrives (yes my 3/1/2 yr. old still likes the stroller:)) It's much nicer than the mini. Other popular doubles are the Valco Trimode Twin, and the Bob Revolution Dualie.

If I can tag onto this question. I'm expecting #2 this spring - DS will be 21 months. I love the BJCMD BUT my son is very tall (90%) and we expect him to remain so - he's a tiny clone of my 6'3" DH. Any other suggestions in the lightweight mostly-inside category for tall kids (and tall parents since DH will be using this some - I'm 5'7")? Price is not a real concern since we're buying very little new stuff for the baby and I'll be selling my Vista to fund this.

TIA!

A friend of mine has a Maclaren Techno XT double and loves it. She is 5'9" and her DH is 6'1" IIRC. She has mainly used it with her twins (now 2), but on occaision has also used it with her almost 5 year old son, and one of the twins with no problem. We have a Maclaren Triumph (you can also get a Twin Triumph, but it won't be as nicely featured as the Techno XT double) and my DD is 40" tall and still has plenty of growing room in her Triumph. I haven't tried DD in a Techno, but all Maclaren seat backs look to be the same height, and all have the same 50lb per seat weight limit:) The same friend also has nothing but good things to say about her Bob Revolution dualie; it's mainly her outdoor stroller, but she loves it a lot. Since your DS is tall already you might want to look at the Valco Trimode Twin, and the Baby Jogger City Elite (just in case you want something a little more than standard umbrella double). I have seen all three strollers at the mall and they don't look too out of place.

arivecchi
12-01-2009, 07:38 PM

TIA! I agree with Annie, a Mac double seems like the way to go for you.

legaleagle
12-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks, I will check them out. I will admit that I'm in love with the looks of bumbleride indie twin but I know that's way more stroller than we need!

WatchingThemGrow
12-01-2009, 10:00 PM
The Bumbleride looks nice, but a quick review of the fold on youtube scared me away. With two DC close together (and young), you'll be relying heavily on your double stroller for just about everything. I found the quick fold of the BJ to make life a bit easier.

twowhat?
12-02-2009, 11:43 PM
We have both the BJCED and BJCMD. I could NEVER use the BJCED as our "only" stroller. It is too big and heavy to lift in and out of the car on a daily basis. Our BJCMD stays in the car, is light and super easy to fold, and we love it for our errand stroller. It also will handle smooth sidewalks just fine (and can handle occasional pushes through dirt or grass). If you don't plan on taking it over rough terrain, the BJCMD is without question what I'd go for.

jacksmoma
12-03-2009, 01:22 PM
I agree- I am getting a bjcmd just for that very reason- the bjced is WAY to heavy to lift in the car, I've actually never taken it anywhere (by car) on my own as the thought of loading that thing scares me! I really think the bjced is just "too much" stroller unless you only plan on keeping it at home. it is SUPER nice and plus, just too heavy/bulky. The mini is perfect as it can handle walking outdoors if on sidewalks fine and pops in the car nicely :) hth! there are MAJOR coupon codes going on right now on the bjcmd making it really really worth the price :)

WatchingThemGrow
12-03-2009, 01:51 PM
When you say "light walking around the community" how is the terrain in your area? My neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks, so the baby gets jiggled if we don't use a stroller with air tires. Same thing for lots of our walking trails where tree stuff has dropped. The mini chokes on that stuff IME. You should just try out the strollers for yourself if you have a BuyBuyBaby or a good baby store near you. While I do enjoy the lightweight Mini double and think you'd get good use out of it, I'd check out the Elite first. I totally loved having it as my only double until just before #3 came along very quickly. And I'm a flabby wimp with no upper body strength. It was very manageable to get in/out of my CRV until I was 6 mos pg. The way our Odyssey has a lower trunk area makes it a little more difficult (still doable), but with the Mini, I miss out on a lot of walking opportunities with friends b/c it can't handle the terrain. Just depends on your situation...

arivecchi
12-03-2009, 02:30 PM
I'd either go full on BJCED or a Mac double. The BJCM is a compromise stroller IMO. Not as tall and easy to use indoors as the Mac double, but not great outdoors either and shorter than the BJCED and BJCCD. I think with two kids it is way easier to do stuff outdoors where the AT stroller will work best as WatchingThem Grow said. My toddler who just turned 3 has not fit in my neighbor's BJCM for some time now, so I would rule it out if you have tall kids.

WatchingThemGrow
12-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Can you steer the mac double with one hand? I've not tried it but I have to do it all.the.time with the bj b/c someone is walking while holding my hand. By the time the OP's oldest is 3, her LO will be two, so she will have gotten two good years' use out of whatever she gets!

jacksmoma
12-03-2009, 05:05 PM
I used to not vote for getting a bjcmd BUT after having the elite and classic (both doubles) I totally think unless you have no sidewalks the bjcmd is the way to go for an only double...here in so. cal we have sidewalks and everything is very smooth (at least in orange county). The elite does have a smoother ride but the mini's is fine and SO much lighter with all the great features- FYI i measured the seatbacks on both the elite and mini and the mini's is only ONE inch shorter...not a big difference to make the descision imo. I am 5'4" and found the bjced WAY to much to lift into my suv trunk and it took up the entire thing. it's a nice stroller, but way too much stroller for my needs. I can see using the bjcmd for years to come, I can't imagine pushing a huge all terrian stroller and two big toddlers! i LOVE my new bjcmd much more than the elite...

AnnieW625
12-03-2009, 06:35 PM
The BJCMD is not smooth anywhere off the sidewalks, the front wheel wobbles like there is no tomorrow. I live in a 60 yr. old neighborhood right on the border of LA/Orange County and there is no such thing as a smooth sidewalk in our neck of the woods.

WTG I'll ask my friend if her MAC is still one hand pushable. I think that might be one advantage of BJ City Series is the one handlebar.

arivecchi
12-03-2009, 06:37 PM
I used to not vote for getting a bjcmd BUT after having the elite and classic (both doubles) I totally think unless you have no sidewalks the bjcmd is the way to go for an only double...here in so. cal we have sidewalks and everything is very smooth (at least in orange county). The elite does have a smoother ride but the mini's is fine and SO much lighter with all the great features- FYI i measured the seatbacks on both the elite and mini and the mini's is only ONE inch shorter...not a big difference to make the descision imo. I am 5'4" and found the bjced WAY to much to lift into my suv trunk and it took up the entire thing. it's a nice stroller, but way too much stroller for my needs. I can see using the bjcmd for years to come, I can't imagine pushing a huge all terrian stroller and two big toddlers! i LOVE my new bjcmd much more than the elite... I bet the frame of the BJCMD is smaller though and hence the canopy is lower. Like I said, DS1 does not fit in the BJCM and still has lots of room in the BJCCD. Send me your BJCED if you don't like it. ;)

legaleagle
12-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Twin Triumph v. Twin Techno? Albee baby has both on closeout - is the techno that much cushier? Also very interested to here if it's one hand pushable - that's a real hesitation to me for getting a double umbrella. Another one that looked interested was the Valco Latitude Twin - anyone seen one of these in person? I read somewhere that the short seat back problem is fixed in the 2010 version.

jacksmoma
12-03-2009, 07:04 PM
I bet the frame of the BJCMD is smaller though because and hence the canopy is lower. Like I said, DS1 does not fit in the BJCM and still has lots of room in the BJCCD. Send me your BJCED if you don't like it. ;)

lol! my tall two year old has room in our bjcmd :) already send the bjced back otherwise i'd be yours! i also love how you don't walk way behind the stroller with the mini, i never liked the sticking out handlebars...

strollerqueen
12-04-2009, 04:22 AM
Can you steer the mac double with one hand? I've not tried it but I have to do it all.the.time with the bj b/c someone is walking while holding my hand. By the time the OP's oldest is 3, her LO will be two, so she will have gotten two good years' use out of whatever she gets!

No, you can not. Unless you can find an older model, like I have, with three handles. If it has three handles, you can steer with the middle handle. It is impossible with the two handles spaced far apart.

strollerqueen
12-04-2009, 04:24 AM
Twin Triumph v. Twin Techno? Albee baby has both on closeout - is the techno that much cushier? Also very interested to here if it's one hand pushable - that's a real hesitation to me for getting a double umbrella. Another one that looked interested was the Valco Latitude Twin - anyone seen one of these in person? I read somewhere that the short seat back problem is fixed in the 2010 version.

Yes, that is correct. Also check out the Valco Ion, is is very nice. As I told the PP, you can only push an umbrella double one-handed if it has three handles--then you can push using the center handle. If it has two, they are too far apart to push one-handed.

WatchingThemGrow
12-04-2009, 08:57 AM
No, you can not. Unless you can find an older model, like I have, with three handles. If it has three handles, you can steer with the middle handle. It is impossible with the two handles spaced far apart.
I'm glad you chimed in to save the day :cheerleader1: With DC in the "independent" stage or the "I can't sit in a stroller the whole time" stage or the "I'm stiff as a board, you can't buckle me in" stage, I find that I'm (and the other people out and about) sometimes end up carrying a kid and pushing the other in stroller. That's hard when your stroller doesn't have a one-hand push.

boltfam
12-04-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm glad you chimed in to save the day :cheerleader1: With DC in the "independent" stage or the "I can't sit in a stroller the whole time" stage or the "I'm stiff as a board, you can't buckle me in" stage, I find that I'm (and the other people out and about) sometimes end up carrying a kid and pushing the other in stroller. That's hard when your stroller doesn't have a one-hand push.

My DC is in that same stage, too! It's so much fun, isn't it? ;) Thanks for answering the questions, strollerqueen.

jacksmoma
12-04-2009, 12:56 PM
lol seems i'm always pushing a double with one or no baby in it too!! i take back what i said about the bjced :ROTFLMAO:- i want mine back and am trying to get it back! pushed the bjcmd to the park yesterday (15 min walk) and it was horrible! so loud and bumpy! funny as my bjcm seems to do much better outside but that must be b/c it's not pushing two babies! it is nice and compact but much much harder to push (takes more effort) than the bjced :( I suppose the bjced can be your only double, although i keep my bjcm in the car for quick trips so i'm not putting it in the car very often...:)

arivecchi
12-04-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm glad you chimed in to save the day :cheerleader1: With DC in the "independent" stage or the "I can't sit in a stroller the whole time" stage or the "I'm stiff as a board, you can't buckle me in" stage, I find that I'm (and the other people out and about) sometimes end up carrying a kid and pushing the other in stroller. That's hard when your stroller doesn't have a one-hand push. I don't know how you do it with 3! I had not even thought about the one-handed steering issue, but you are right, I can push my BJCCD with one hand, whereas it is very hard to steer my single Triumph with one hand.

arivecchi
12-04-2009, 01:08 PM
lol seems i'm always pushing a double with one or no baby in it too!! i take back what i said about the bjced :ROTFLMAO:- i want mine back and am trying to get it back! pushed the bjcmd to the park yesterday (15 min walk) and it was horrible! so loud and bumpy! funny as my bjcm seems to do much better outside but that must be b/c it's not pushing two babies! it is nice and compact but much much harder to push (takes more effort) than the bjced :( I suppose the bjced can be your only double, although i keep my bjcm in the car for quick trips so i'm not putting it in the car very often...:) I think you will end up with a million strollers because you can't decide which one you like best. :)

jacksmoma
12-04-2009, 01:18 PM
i agree! there just is no perfect one is there? i had no clue to bjcmd would push so poorly outside, it was so loud, i was shocked! i guess you really do need air tires when pushing a lot of weight :)

strollerqueen
12-04-2009, 03:00 PM
i agree! there just is no perfect one is there? i had no clue to bjcmd would push so poorly outside, it was so loud, i was shocked! i guess you really do need air tires when pushing a lot of weight :)

:yeahthat:

strollerqueen
12-04-2009, 03:05 PM

You are welcome! Shortly after DS was born, I wanted to get out and get some fresh air. I was about a mile from home with my Pliko (pre-P3) a newborn, and a toddler. DD decided she wouldn't walk, wouldn't stand on the step, and had to sit. So I had to carry DS, and push the Pliko with one hand. And that, you can not do. So I had to push it with my stomach. For one mile. After just having had a C-section. Not fun, but it did make me cognizant to the importance of one hand pushing!

WatchingThemGrow
12-04-2009, 04:58 PM
You are welcome! Shortly after DS was born, I wanted to get out and get some fresh air. I was about a mile from home with my Pliko (pre-P3) a newborn, and a toddler. DD decided she wouldn't walk, wouldn't stand on the step, and had to sit. So I had to carry DS, and push the Pliko with one hand. And that, you can not do. So I had to push it with my stomach. For one mile. After just having had a C-section. Not fun, but it did make me cognizant to the importance of one hand pushing!
Ouch. And...that's when you started the stroller research, or before?? Have you ever told the story on here?

My favorite position for carrying one/pushing two is when DS1 gets flat as a board and I lay him across the handle of the BJ right behind the canopies, lol. He weighs less than a loaded diaper bag, so it isn't too hard to push/hold him up there, but I'm sure people think I'm the worst mother ever just plopping him up there and movin' on, but oh well. We've gotta get back to our van, house, etc.

arivecchi
12-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Yes SQ, do tell what got you started on your stroller journey! :praying:

legaleagle
12-04-2009, 05:19 PM
So the Valco Ion is good for tall toddlers? Hard to tell with it's rounded shape.

strollerqueen
12-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Yes SQ, do tell what got you started on your stroller journey! :praying:

LOL, OK. Well yes, I guess you could say that was part of the beginning. Of course there is more, much more. I am taking my DD to the store now to get a few items for her Christmas program tonight, but I'll be back...