PDA

View Full Version : Fever question -- update

bubbaray
11-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Looking for a little advice. DD#1 spiked a high fever last night, 40C (104F). She was crabby all yesterday afternoon, but no other symptoms. Fever has stayed high all day, but responds to Advil/Tylenol. She's basically slept all day. Had a headache last night, but says its much better today. No other symptoms -- no cough, nasal discharge, rash, vomiting, or anything else. Can bend her head forward and does not complain of neck pain. Does not appear to be dehydrated, is peeing well (though seemed a bit too weak/tired to walk on her own to the bathroom, called me to walk with her).

Any ideas? She was vax'd for H1N1 on Nov. 2 and is otherwise up to date on her scheduled vax's (though we skipped the seasonal flu vax this year as 99.3% of the flu here is H1N1).

SnuggleBuggles
11-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Last time my ds spiked a fever like that it was either strep throat or an ear infection. He hadn't seemed that bad off in the throat or ears (can't remember which one) but I went in b/c of the fever.

Hope she is better soon!!

Beth

ShanaMama
11-29-2009, 09:07 PM
I had a similar thing with DD2 (15 mo). She had 104.7 with no other symptoms. I called the ped to check if I needed to bring her in & they said just watch her for a couple of days. A week later she ended up with an ear infection but don't know how related they were.
I wouldn't be overly concerned but Hu might want to check with your ped.

ThreeofUs
11-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Sure sounds like her body is fighting something off. ITA to watch her closely for a couple of days to see if the fever continues and/or some other symptom manifests itself. But she sounds weak, and that would worry me more than bright-eyed, bushy-tailed fever. Honestly, I'd watch closely and be ready to run to the ER.

Hope she gets better really soon - and good luck to you!

SnuggleBuggles
11-29-2009, 09:43 PM
The other posters reminded me of the virus that went through our family in August. Everyone got a super high fever that lasted one day. No other symptoms except being more tired. It came and it went. We all got it right after each other. I took him to an urgi care place b/c we were leaving for a vacation the day ds2 (the 1st one to get it) came down with it. I wanted to rule out strep and ear infection. It was amazing how 24 hours later he was totally fine.

Beth

gatorsmom
11-29-2009, 10:17 PM
ITA with Ivy. It sounds like she is fighting something and the weakness would worry me. I know if it were me I'd give it one more day for something to change and then I'd call the ped Tuesday morning.

I hope she recovers quickly!

bubbaray
11-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks ladies. Her fever is getting higher and her headache is back. DH will be taking her to the dr likely tomorrow if she's not better.

ThreeofUs
11-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Keep us posted, Melissa. I know you have an on-call ped to contact....

gatorsmom
11-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Thanks ladies. Her fever is getting higher and her headache is back. DH will be taking her to the dr likely tomorrow if she's not better.

I know with our kids their fevers always climb in the late afternoon til about bedtime. Then I give them Tylenol to help them sleep and it calms down a little. So, if it were me, the higher fever in the evening wouldn't scare me too much since that's the pattern around here, but I'd probably be more likely to call the ped in the morning.

Keep us updated.

bubbaray
12-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks ladies.

DD#1 was fine yesterday (Monday), but DH stayed home with her (daycare and school rules are 24 hrs fever-free). She (unwillingly) has gone back to school today.

However, DD#2 was hit with the same fever last night. I am home with her today. Its the first major fever that I can recall her having and she is GRUM-PY. Holy smokes.

This bug is tres weird. High fever and that's it. Never heard of that before....