PDA

View Full Version : made my first 2 loaves of challah tonight.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-29-2009, 10:44 PM
So I've never made challah before in my life. But for some reason it sounded like fun. Probably because I've read about some of the gals on here making it and because it's always at the local grocery store and kindof expensive. So I looked online and found a couple of good websites,did my research and I've gotta say.

2 kickbutt loaves of bread were the result. I even overproofed them because I was busy sorting and folding socks and they still came out wonderful. I'm sure to be making more in the future. DD1 and ds both like it sliced with nutella. Dh is eating his with just butter. Yum,yum. Why did I every pay for it at the store?

gatorsmom
11-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Considering all the things you having going on right now, I"m impressed :bowdown:. And jealous- fresh-baked challah sounds delicious. Maybe now your DH will cheer up a bit. :loveeyes:

SnuggleBuggles
11-29-2009, 11:01 PM
I used to make it all the time and it is so darned good! I really should dust off the old bread machine (I cheat and make the dough in there). Ds1 *loves* challah and that would make his day to know I could whip some up anytime! Good job!!

Beth

ThreeofUs
11-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Excellent! We make challah a lot around here - and love that KAF high-gluten flour and the white whole wheat for it. Makes the best french toast, too, though I must say nutella sounds wonderful!

jent
11-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Wait until you use it for French toast. The first time I made it this way, I was ready to convert to Judaism on the spot just so I could have a reason to eat it weekly.

bigpassport
11-29-2009, 11:45 PM
I've never made challah. Can you post your successful recipe?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-30-2009, 01:13 AM
coming from you lisa that means a lot.The recipe was easy peasy. Just type making challah bread into youtube and follow the gal from the expert videos. I had the oven at 375 since she omits that detail at the end. She gives good step by step instructions for the first timer.

ShanaMama
11-30-2009, 01:15 AM
:bowdown:
Ok, so I cook two full course Shabbat dinners every week, but I have yet to get a handle on Challah. The bakery here makes such good challah that it's just not worth it to eat my flopped ones week after week. If your recipe is seriously foolproof, please share. Enjoy!