PDA

View Full Version : I may have priced a CL item too low

KBecks
11-30-2009, 09:03 AM
As in, I got four inquiries blammo like that! It's an older elliptical machine that we bought new for a fortune. I listed it at $600. I am now thinking I blew it on the pricing. Any advice? I think that I'm stuck selling it at the listed price....

Crazy, I saw an ad on CL that said that if the seller got a lot of inquiries they would raise the price and I can't tell you how off putting that was!!

goodnightmoon
11-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Maybe you could let each one know that you have 4 offers and see if anyone offers to go higher? I don't know if you want to lie and say that "someone else offered $625, would you go to $650?". I'm sure some people do that on my CL...

Good luck!

Melaine
11-30-2009, 09:47 AM
I have to say, I think as the seller you have the control, but I also think it is pretty shady to up your price in any way. I would just sell to whoever is willing to bring you cash ASAP.

wellyes
11-30-2009, 10:12 AM
I agree with PP, when you hit CL gold like that, sell it & make someone happy. It'd be a lot of trouble & a bit of bad karma just for the extra couple bucks you could get.

veronica
11-30-2009, 10:48 AM
I say, if you listed at $600, you might have been expecting to negotiate. So, with so many offers, take is as a gift and sell it asap! Don't up your price. Get what you initially wanted for it!

LBW
11-30-2009, 01:01 PM
If you had listed it higher, you might not have gotten offers. Or you might have only one buyer who wanted to negotiate price. You probably just hit the pricing sweet spot!

I'd sell to the first/most reliable sounding person and be happy!

kijip
11-30-2009, 01:15 PM
I think 4 offers on a bigger ticket item in this economy, especially one that is hard to move, is good. I don't think it is underpriced. With something that large, I would count on some of the 4 being flakes. Give it to the first person with $600 cash in hand. I tend to think it is better to get the thing OUT than to see it go unsold. If you want to generate bids without asking for them or at least stave off haggling, you could bcc all of them the reply, addressing it to all of them like

Dear A, B, C and D,

I have 4 inquiries on this item. I need to sell it soon, so I am giving dibs to the person who can come and get it first and pay in cash. If you are still interested, please respond immediately with a day and time you can pick it up. Thanks!

-KBecks

Someone may offer a little more to get you to hold off a day till they get a truck etc. At the very least, people will be less likely to haggle.

daphne
11-30-2009, 01:51 PM
I agree with PP, when you hit CL gold like that, sell it & make someone happy. It'd be a lot of trouble & a bit of bad karma just for the extra couple bucks you could get.

ITA with this. I sold an item recently on CL & the woman couldn't believe what a great deal she got. It definitely made me feel like I underpriced, but then it made me feel good to make *her* feel good. Tis the season & all that...:)