PDA

View Full Version : TMI question: "crotch" injury

Melaine
11-30-2009, 12:12 PM
So DDs were playing rough (big surprise) and DD2 jumped up and somehow landed on her privates on the curvy corner of a wooden box. I didn't actually see it but it was pretty obvious as she was clutching herself and standing by the box. She cried pretty loud but not for very long and seemed to cheer up a couple minutes later. I checked her briefly and didn't really see anything. Now she said she has to pee and cried when she tried to go. I wiped her and maybe saw a tiny pink. Could've been my imagination. She didn't actually pee though and we just tried again and she wouldn't go. I'm concerned she is afraid to pee and wondering if there is anything else I should do. Warm bath? I really REALLY don't want to see a Dr. about this kind of thing (don't want to traumatize DD). I don't see anything on the outside, although I guess that might be a bad thing. Any BTDT? TIA!4

ETA: I'm afraid to google this. I DO not want to see anything freaky that will traumatize ME, ykwim?

Tondi G
11-30-2009, 12:36 PM
My sister did this as a child. She actually did cut herself down there. I think my mom took her to the doctor cause she did have some bleeding and was also really scared and hurting when she peed. If I remember correctly they had her put some neosporin on her boo boo and she healed up pretty quick. You might want to check and see if you can see any actual cuts. If not maybe a light barrier of aquaphor to help create a barrier for when she pees. A warm bath is probably a good idea... and tell her to maybe try to pee in there... it'll help her not have direct contact with the urine that could be causing her some discomfort. Poor little thing... OUCH! Hope she feels better soon. Oh and a little dose of tylenol or motrin probably wouldn't hurt either.

Melaine
11-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks Tondi! I did give her some Ibuprophen just for good measure. I put a little CA Baby cream on it but aquaphor sounds like a good idea. I will do the bath and hope she goes in there. Knowing her, even if it feels better she will be afraid to pee so I'm concerned about that.
I'm just praying we won't have to visit the Dr. since we had such a bad experience last time there.

Tondi G
11-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks Tondi! I did give her some Ibuprophen just for good measure. I put a little CA Baby cream on it but aquaphor sounds like a good idea. I will do the bath and hope she goes in there. Knowing her, even if it feels better she will be afraid to pee so I'm concerned about that.
I'm just praying we won't have to visit the Dr. since we had such a bad experience last time there.

I would encourage her to try to go pee while she is in there. Explain to her that the water will help it not hurt/sting. If she holds it too long she could end up with a UTI so be careful with that too! you don't by chance have your squeeze bottle from the hospital still around? You might consider getting her a little bottle where she could sprinkle some water while she pees to help dilute the urine? Hope she feels better soon.

Melaine
11-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks....I don't have a squeeze bottle (C-section), but I hope the bath will help. She said it felt better a few minutes ago so crossing my fingers she will go potty. I don't want to make a big deal about it so I am going to wait awhile before I bring up peeing again!

mamicka
11-30-2009, 01:47 PM
This happened to me as a child. My mom gave me a warm bath & swished the water towards me to help "clean" it gently, IYKWIM. I remember a bit of blood (like spotting when wiping) but that's it. My dad (pediatrician) wasn't concerned. I don't remember it being an issue after that day it happened. I could see aquafor or neosporin being helpful.

salsah
11-30-2009, 01:52 PM
dd1 suffered a straddle injury once. she screamed a lot when it happpened but then she seemed fine until she needed to go to the bathroom. she screamed even more and i saw some blood in her underwear and when she wiped. i took her to the doctor who said that there really isn't anything to do -- just wait for it to heal, watch for signs of infection, tylenol for pain relief, etc. she suggested letting dd1 pee in a warm bath so that the urine will not sting the cut (which was really close to her urethra).

hth

Melaine
11-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks guys. Bath did not work. I think I made it too big a deal and now she is feeling pressured! I told her we will try again later. My girls are notorious for holding it for HOURS or even a day (potty training was a nightmare). She is being very whiney but I know she is tired from the holidays and the end of the looooong cold we have had. If nothing else, maybe she will at least go in her diaper tonight since we still do diapers for bedtime.

elektra
11-30-2009, 02:02 PM
This happened to me as a kid too. At my preschool, I jumped up to reach the first bar of the monkey bars, missed, and came down crotch first on the bar that you climb up on to reach the upper bars. OUCH. I had to go to the doctor and get an exam and x-rays. I remember it hurt, but I remember more that the teachers were all freaking out because I said I was bleeding. At the time, I didn't understand what the big deal was around a little blood, but looking back, they were probably wondering about abuse or me getting some abnormally early period or something.
Anyway, most of the pain was from some little cracks in my skin that happened after the fold got separated too far on impact, I think.
If that's what happened with your DD, then I would just do like what most of the PP said, warm water, neosporin, and waiting it out.

Melaine
11-30-2009, 02:09 PM
I remember it hurt, but I remember more that the teachers were all freaking out because I said I was bleeding. At the time, I didn't understand what the big deal was around a little blood, but looking back, they were probably wondering about abuse.

See that's my other fear, that the pediatrician will suspect something like that if we bring them in with such an injury. It doesn't help that we still haven't gone to the new Ped. so what a great way to "meet" them!

mommy111
11-30-2009, 03:47 PM
I think the diaper will work well. I've had a similar injury and what really helped was squirting cold water on it while I peed....if nothing else, I would try that because the cold water may cause her to pee.
If she still pees in her diaper at night, that may be a blessing in disguise!
Hugs and hope she feels better soon!

Melaine
11-30-2009, 04:37 PM
I am SO relieved. We went to the grocery store for juice (per DD2's request, already taking advantage of sympathy) and she said she had to go. She was so distracted by her ever present fear of automatically flushing toilets in the store bathroom that I think she peed without thinking. Then afterwards she said, "It doesn't hurt anymore!"

Thanks for all the help! I tell you what, these things get me so stressed and it is great coming here and finding quick BTDT advice. You guys are so great!

DrSally
12-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Glad she's feeling better!

nov04
12-01-2009, 01:02 AM
See that's my other fear, that the pediatrician will suspect something like that if we bring them in with such an injury. It doesn't help that we still haven't gone to the new Ped. so what a great way to "meet" them!

Our first visit to our new ped. was a mysterious swelling on dd1's skull (suspected skull fracture). We ended up doing full body xrays to rule out abuse. It was embarrassing at the time, but forgotten soon after because we knew we hadn't done anything wrong.

Never did find out why dd1 developed a fluid envelope between skull and skin.

DrSally
12-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Our first visit to our new ped. was a mysterious swelling on dd1's skull (suspected skull fracture). We ended up doing full body xrays to rule out abuse. It was embarrassing at the time, but forgotten soon after because we knew we hadn't done anything wrong.

Never did find out why dd1 developed a fluid envelope between skull and skin.

If I was sure she hadn't been abused by a DCP, I wouldn't be happy about this b/c it's unnecessary radiation exposure, IMO.