PDA

View Full Version : Good site for FA kids gift certificate?

sidmand
11-30-2009, 01:15 PM
I wanted to get my daycare provider something (never had a daycare provider before!) and often I give gift baskets but both her sons are allergic to a number of foods. The little one is the worst as I know one of his allergies is to corn and corn syrup is in many many items. I know there is only one brand of gummy bears (for instance) that he can eat. I was just wondering if there was a good site to order stuff from? Although I do a lot of online shopping, probably not everyone does. But I'm guessing that specialty foods take a lot of time and money and I would like to get something everyone can enjoy.

Or maybe just cash!

MamaMolly
11-30-2009, 01:36 PM
This is such a thoughtful idea! I'm having trouble signing in to www.kidswithfoodallergies.org but I was going to look there for some of the advertisers. ETA: ok, I got in. Here are a few links. FWIW I haven't shopped with these stores so I can't offer any feedback in that area. GL!

www.navanfoods.com
www.homefreetreats.com
www.allergyfreeshop.com
www.namastefoods.com
of course there is always www.amazon.com but you'd have to know what you are looking for.

If a food basket doesn't work out maybe a basket with another theme might do? Something like an activity, or little games that the whole family can play or something like that.

mytwosons
11-30-2009, 01:38 PM
What about having Whole Foods make up a basket? They have a ton of allergen-free candy (including gummy bears, jelly beans, gummi worms, and chocolate bars)the kids would love and I'm sure they could help you find other things to fill the basket with.

sidmand
11-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Non-food items would definitely work too. I just know she ends up having to make a lot of things from scratch since most commercially prepared foods have an ingredient that doesn't work (waffles or pancakes for instance). And I figure with all of her experience in this area she would know much better than I would what to look for. That's a good idea about Whole Foods but since I'm not sure of exactly what foods not to include I'm not sure I could give them a good guideline and I'd hate for her to end up with things everyone can't use.

Thank you for the links too. I will definitely check those out and see what I can come up with.

I know everyone always likes cash (I wouldn't turn it down myself). But you end up spending it on useful things. And although this would be useful, it could also be a splurge--YKWIM?

DrSally
11-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Enjoy life also makes FA friendly foods. My good friend's husband founded the company.

pakin
11-30-2009, 03:04 PM
I like peanutfreeplanet.com I ordered from them twice and was very pleased.
You can search products by allergens.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005