PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Pewter....

kayte
11-30-2009, 01:29 PM
There is an etsy shop where I like the charms the owner has designed. She sells them ready in pewter but you have to get a quote and have them specially made in silver.

I want a simple necklace for my daughter, as a present for her 4th birthday. Is a pewter charm okay?--or will it turn her skin or the charm funny colors ! lol!! Can you put a pewter charm in silver necklace?

What about for me? I might get myself one too--should I pay and wait for silver? Or for occasionally wearing can I get away with pewter too?

ThreeofUs
11-30-2009, 01:42 PM
I think pewter is a tin/lead alloy any more, but I think it's like 92% tin and 8% other stuff (could be lead, could be silver, could be a combination). The combination now is such that the pewter doesn't tarnish as easily, so you can probably get away with it on a silver necklace.

For your daughter, why don't you ask the seller what the composition is before you buy the pewter? Consider if your daughter ever puts charms in her mouth, though - I know I did!

kayte
11-30-2009, 02:53 PM
I think pewter is a tin/lead alloy any more, but I think it's like 92% tin and 8% other stuff (could be lead, could be silver, could be a combination). The combination now is such that the pewter doesn't tarnish as easily, so you can probably get away with it on a silver necklace.

For your daughter, why don't you ask the seller what the composition is before you buy the pewter? Consider if your daughter ever puts charms in her mouth, though - I know I did!

Hmm.. I didn't even think that pewter might have lead in it... I'll ask. Thanks.

BillK
11-30-2009, 03:36 PM
https://www.wendellaugust.com/

This is a super nice pewter forge right near us. They have lots of nice stuff if you're interested.

Here's their FAQ that shows the content of the various metals they do:

https://www.wendellaugust.com/page/customer_service#faq

Fairy
11-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Pewter can have lead, and you often see it listed as lead-free pewter. Sometimes there are disclaimers that there may or may not be small amounts of lead. Not all pewter is created equal, some stuff holds up beautifully, some stuff is crap. Generally, you get what you pay for with that. Totally depends on the stuff. If it's got lead, I'd probably not do it. Some of it is ok, but nine times out of ten, I try not to do the lead stuff.